Ford Focus RS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yes, I have stock one.
@BigFatFlip Also I have question, why my thottle (ETC Angle Actual) is also so bumping? Not flat line? My tuner claims that it is i.a. to avoid overboost. Is that safe?
Ya, not an expert, just a keyboard jockey who likes looking at logs lol. From what I understand, the logic on our ECU is "torque based" (ie not boost, etc) and controlled by the "fly by wire" throttle (ETC Angle) based on a number of parameters. If the car senses its about to reach its target torque (as defined on a torque table), it closes the throttle momentarily and then opens again, etc. The tuner usually edits the torque target table based on what they see on your logs. I'm guessing the oscillation is from the engine flip-flopping between values on that table. I've been told this is normal and doesn't affect the power delivery (which I would agree with) and at most you'll just hear the whooshing sound oscillate.

You are correct, I did post duplicates. I edited my original post and should work.
Wow...that was fun! Very interesting logs! Definitely could see how much the charge air gets cooler with the meth and how much the timing the engine is adding to take advantage of it (almost 1.5 deg!). Its nice to see that nothing else is getting affected or pushed to the limit (ie boost is still the same, waste isn't working any harder, etc.). I did notice that the fueling (stft%) is different, with the meth logs needing less fuel. I wonder if that has something to do with the cooling effect that the fuel has? Hmmm...

·
Registered
520 Posts
aslo i just saw an update to the firmware a few months back that enabled boost to be built during launch control. not sure if that has been vetted out though.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
well i did some logs with the new FMIC, i have some positive ignition correction which means we can push the tune further? Or am i way off? See below :)

https://datazap.me/u/vinnie/v2fmic2?log=0&data=4-7-9-20&solo=9
Correct. Usually, an all positive ignition correction log means a conservative/safe tune. Which revision was this tune? Maybe the tuner isn't quite done yet? Typically, they would start out safe and keep pushing the ignition up until they start seeing some knock, then notch it back down to stay safe.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thanks @BigFatFlip this was the final tune BEFORE i had the FMIC in. we haven't done any new revisions with the new intercooler yet. Glad to see that it makes a difference.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Thanks @BigFatFlip this was the final tune BEFORE i had the FMIC in. we haven't done any new revisions with the new intercooler yet. Glad to see that it makes a difference.
That makes sense. Probably not tuned to take advantage of the cooler charge air, although, from what I've seen, an upgraded FMIC doesn't really give you much more timing advance, it just allows you to keep that timing for longer periods of time before it starts to get pulled. Would be interesting to see a log from before the FMIC was installed to see the improvement.

·
Registered
520 Posts
That makes sense. Probably not tuned to take advantage of the cooler charge air, although, from what I've seen, an upgraded FMIC doesn't really give you much more timing advance, it just allows you to keep that timing for longer periods of time before it starts to get pulled. Would be interesting to see a log from before the FMIC was installed to see the improvement.
here is the revision before i installed the FMIC. Also, ambient temperature was around 50 F here vs 80F in the other.

https://datazap.me/u/vinnie/v18-3rd-gear-wot?log=0&data=4-7

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
here is the revision before i installed the FMIC. Also, ambient temperature was around 50 F here vs 80F in the other.

https://datazap.me/u/vinnie/v18-3rd-gear-wot?log=0&data=4-7
Great! Even with the different ambient temps, you can clearly see the temps continue to rise on the OEM IC over the rev range vs the drop in temps with the new IC (out of curiosity, which one do you have?). Even with the same tune and higher charge temps, it looks like your ECU is enjoying the lack of knock and is actually almost a degree more advanced.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Great! Even with the different ambient temps, you can clearly see the temps continue to rise on the OEM IC over the rev range vs the drop in temps with the new IC (out of curiosity, which one do you have?). Even with the same tune and higher charge temps, it looks like your ECU is enjoying the lack of knock and is actually almost a degree more advanced.
Yeah I’m glad the car is responding well. I went with the ETS FMIC (purple of course). Still stock IC piping.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Reactions: BigFatFlip

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I tried a datalog using launch control to see what was going on. seems i'm holding boost around 8psi which is pretty cool. @320icar @BigFatFlip
https://datazap.me/u/vinnie/v21-lc?log=0&data=1-4-7&solo=4
Nice! that's kinda what I expected it to do. I've also been meaning to get a log of launch controls from the different tunes I have to compare but just never have the time (datalogging spots for me are few and far between, which means some travel and doing it in ungodly hours). Do you mind sharing who your tuner is? What version of Cobb are you running?

You definitely have some room to take advantage of that new IC, so I would definitely get an update.

·
Registered
520 Posts
@BigFatFlip

This was the first revision with the FMIC. I think we are just taking it nice and slow, once we are optimized, i'm going colder plugs with an E30 tune.

also, this was a superrrr hot day, and we all know how the car loves the heat... :(

Purple Drank tuning has been great to work with so far. I just did the latest firmware updates last week, not sure on the version as i'm away from my home laptop right now.

Reactions: BigFatFlip

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
@BigFatFlip

This was the first revision with the FMIC. I think we are just taking it nice and slow, once we are optimized, i'm going colder plugs with an E30 tune.

also, this was a superrrr hot day, and we all know how the car loves the heat... :(

Purple Drank tuning has been great to work with so far. I just did the latest firmware updates last week, not sure on the version as i'm away from my home laptop right now.
Ah, that makes sense, would love to see the final (more interestingly, second to the last lol) sets of data logs.

I've thought of giving PD a try, but I just could not take the name seriously lol.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You should seriously consider, Ive only heard/experienced good things.

Hahah I thought the name worked well with the car...

632D557E-E6B5-429F-8B99-979951F70859.jpeg

·
Registered
520 Posts
^^ wastegate duty cycle holds, peaks at 75%. No need to upgrade yet in my opinion.
Agreed I’m just curious as to when it will fail as I’ve heard the stocker sucks.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Don’t think I’ve ever heard of the factory wastegate failing. The stock bypass valve can be a little ****ty if you push past 25psi.

The biggest improvement for the aftermarket wastegate and tuning is the response time on/off throttle and between gears.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Does this look ok?!

CatBack, ETS IC, WGA, INJEN INTAKE, STEP1 COLD SPARKS, MOUNUTNE RECIRC, WMI, NO DP, JST TUNE.

datazap.me/u/rsmrk3/log-1564762392?log=0&data=5-9

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
CatBack, ETS IC, WGA, INJEN INTAKE, STEP1 COLD SPARKS, MOUNUTNE RECIRC, WMI, NO DP, JST TUNE.

datazap.me/u/rsmrk3/log-1564762392?log=0&data=5-9
What exactly were you concerned about? On a quick glance, nothing jumps out at me apart from a little knock event on cyl 2 that was enough to knock the OAR from -1 to -0.99 haha. Maybe get some better gas?

141 - 160 of 198 Posts