Ford Focus RS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hey, currently working on my tune. I had a previous tune that would go to +5 ign correction but my current one will not ever go past +1. Is this a good thing, why would this one not go as high?

A question on my side as I am curious.
I noticed in your first log that at 3217 rpm you have a boost value of 24.44 PSI and then it drops to the OEM recommended values.
Is this normal? If I convert to BAR which are the numbers I use, you spike 1 full bar above the OEM values. Sure it is for 100 rpm but will this not impact your engine in the long run?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I just got my base tune from stratified. Here is a log I took this afternoon. It is on 91 fuel. Do you guys think there is still some room for more power?
first graph is in 3rd gear and the second is in 4th

thanks
always pick a more safe tune over more power. looking at the charts the only thing i see is your stock intercooler, and your wastegate duty cycle. i assume you must have the stock exhaust/downpipe? i also run a stratified 91 tune with similar boost pressures. difference is i have the intercooler piping and catless downpipe. my duty cycle sits around 55% when yours is all the way up to 70%. in simple terms your wastegate has to make your turbo work harder to flow the same as my similar system.

i looked at your revisions you just posted up there too. only thing im seeing is knock go up as intake temps also do, but its not an alarming amount. if you wanted to be sure you could throw in a tank of 94 oct, give it a few days and datalog again. see if the knock goes away.
Hey, currently working on my tune. I had a previous tune that would go to +5 ign correction but my current one will not ever go past +1. Is this a good thing, why would this one not go as high?

ignition correction is only helpful when you know the full timing table. if the 'window' of timing on the chart is in a more advanced, or aggressive place, you may see less correction in the advanced direction. you may even see it "pull" timing, but you could still be overall more advanced than previous tunes that were less aggressive.

your two most recent datalogs you linked show actual timing, not correction. you dont have correction set as a perimeter to log. if you compare it to your old log back in 2019 when you installed the ets intercooler, you still climb to the same +5.75-6.00 timing.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Just installed the wastegate. These are logs i sent to my tuner. Before and after. Anyone care to drop some knowledge? E30/Full bolt-ons minus DP and intake tube.
A little hard for me to compare the two logs since the first one wasn't a single gear pull (3-4 flat foot shift?), maybe somebody who actually knows what their doing would be able to better compare the two lol. But, from what I can tell, the wastegate is doing it's job and is keeping your boost pressures a little bit more consistent and staying higher over the rev range. The stock unit looks to be at around 70%, which isn't getting maxed out, so you definitely have plenty left on the new waste gate.

I don't see any ign corr logged on either of the two logs you posted, but looking at the ignition timing on both, it looks to me that both are getting ramped up similarly.

The way I understand it, the ign corr value is more how the tune controls the ignition timing based on knock, etc., doesn't matter what the actual value is. I've seen it vary from tuner to tuner. Just looking at the 3 tunes/tuners I've had, I'm seeing it max at 0,1 and 2.

I noticed in your first log that at 3217 rpm you have a boost value of 24.44 PSI and then it drops to the OEM recommended values.
Is this normal? If I convert to BAR which are the numbers I use, you spike 1 full bar above the OEM values. Sure it is for 100 rpm but will this not impact your engine in the long run?
What OEM values are you referring to? I believe the OEM peak boost is around 23 psi, which is ~1.6 bar. From all the logs that I've looked at, this initial boost spike is fairly common. Heck, if you checked out @safridi22 logs, his were spiking at 26.5 psi (1.83 bar) lol A bit high for my taste if you ask me, most I've seen on my logs is closer to 24psi, but it's really environment dependent as the ecu is trying to target a torque value and not boost pressure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's something i'm not to sure of. Maybe my tuner could answer that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't see any ign corr logged on either of the two logs you posted, but looking at the ignition timing on both, it looks to me that both are getting ramped up similarly.

The way I understand it, the ign corr value is more how the tune controls the ignition timing based on knock, etc., doesn't matter what the actual value is. I've seen it vary from tuner to tuner. Just looking at the 3 tunes/tuners I've had, I'm seeing it max at 0,1 and 2.

I usually log ign corr value's but my current tuner had specific things he wanted data logged, and that wasn't on there. Thank you, i'm going to be logging some more logs for the revision

·
Registered
12 Posts
ignition correction is only helpful when you know the full timing table. if the 'window' of timing on the chart is in a more advanced, or aggressive place, you may see less correction in the advanced direction. you may even see it "pull" timing, but you could still be overall more advanced than previous tunes that were less aggressive.

your two most recent datalogs you linked show actual timing, not correction. you dont have correction set as a perimeter to log. if you compare it to your old log back in 2019 when you installed the ets intercooler, you still climb to the same +5.75-6.00 timing.
Interesting, this one feels a lot smoother and not as "jumpy". Current tuner didn't want to log the correction, I monitor it on my access port on cyl1, and cyl4. If it's still the same ammount of timing is that correct? Back in 2019 that was on stage 0, currently it's not.

·
Registered
83 Posts
always pick a more safe tune over more power. looking at the charts the only thing i see is your stock intercooler, and your wastegate duty cycle. i assume you must have the stock exhaust/downpipe? i also run a stratified 91 tune with similar boost pressures. difference is i have the intercooler piping and catless downpipe. my duty cycle sits around 55% when yours is all the way up to 70%. in simple terms your wastegate has to make your turbo work harder to flow the same as my similar system.
here are the only mods I have right now : Mountune recirculation valve and depo racing intercooler. Maybe the difference is like you said in the ic piping and your downpipe.
I saw a huge difference in charge temp when I changed my intercooler. they stay almost all the time ambiant or below ambiant.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

just checking to see that everything looks good for the upcoming track day this weekend. 3rd gear pull 2500-6500, 22c/71f ambient. charge air temp is great, timing is aggressive for a 91oct tune. no knock found, no hesitation and boost for the most part held. im still fine on the stock wastegate but im starting to see it going up (duty cycle used to stay at 55%, starting to reach 60% now). ignition correction always stayed into the positive, but peaked at 2. i don trust the 94 octane where i live, id rather use 91 and throw in a booster (datalogging showed each tank very different with 94, not reliable)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello! I am very new to this. I had car tuned for e30.
Would you mind looking at the logs and giving any feedback?

I'm not sure this information is helpful, but...
75% humidity
80F outside
1600ft above sea level

I've seen others e30 pulls look to be better whp, but they told me the car was at it's limits.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
27 Posts
who was the tuner?
politely, I would not like to enter The Who is the better tuner debate.
I was hoping to focus on the log itself.
but maybe to answer the potential question, yes I was working with a reputable company.
Hope you understand where I coming from! :)
Just trying to be respectful

would love your opinion! You seem to know your stuff

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
politely, I would not like to enter The Who is the better tuner debate.
I was hoping to focus on the log itself.
but maybe to answer the potential question, yes I was working with a reputable company.
Hope you understand where I coming from! :)
Just trying to be respectful

would love your opinion! You seem to know your stuff
Understand where your coming from, it wasnt an attempt to bad mouth them but!
Im still new to reading data zap, so don't fully comprehend how to interpret.
What sort of wheel hp are you seeing and how does the butt dyno feel, when driving?
And thanks for that final comment! I dont mind helping out where I can but still have a lot to learn at the same time!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Understand where your coming from, it wasnt an attempt to bad mouth them but!
Im still new to reading data zap, so don't fully comprehend how to interpret.
What sort of wheel hp are you seeing and how does the butt dyno feel, when driving?
And thanks for that final comment! I dont mind helping out where I can but still have a lot to learn at the same time!
their Dyno said it made 360whp and 405wtq

I’ve seen other people mention they got 380 or 390 on e30. Maybe?
just curious if anything stuck out in the logs
Not even sure where to go from here lol

thank you!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Mate, in my opinion every car is different and a dyno can vary wildly too. In the end they are all just a number, how it drives and how it feels is way more important in my mind.
As long as it's reliable, starts, runs and behaves how it should, if it feels fast to you, you should be happy!
I recently had mine tuned on e30 also, and everytime I get in it, it puts a huge grin on my face with how it puts you back into the seat.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Chasing an intermittent P0171 lean condition bank 1 code and checking out my logs.

The high LTFT suggests I have a vacuum leak somewhere...

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2017 Frost White RS1
98 Posts
Chasing an intermittent P0171 lean condition bank 1 code and checking out my logs.

The high LTFT suggests I have a vacuum leak somewhere...

Warm idle:

1.5k rpm stationary:

2.5k rpm stationary:

2.5k rpm freeway:

Different tune/tuner idle, 1.5k and 2.5k rpm stationary w/ evap channels:

Thoughts?
Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having a similar issue. The car drives just fine and I can't track down a leak anywhere...

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having a similar issue. The car drives just fine and I can't track down a leak anywhere...
No, unfortunately not. Chasing vacuum leaks is such a pain. I've gone around the engine a handful of times now and haven't found anything. Currently working with my tuner to try and figure out if there's anything he can find.

One thing he did have me try was flash one of the Cobb OTS tunes and take logs. I noticed that on the OTS (stg 2 since I have similar mods) that I was getting much lower LTFT (~11% vs 26% currently). It does appear to be ticking up ever so slowly, but not as quickly as my current tune.

Just got a revision to try out, so we'll see how that does.

181 - 200 of 206 Posts