Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wassup folks,

i searched before starting new topic. couldnt find info

so my question is this? are the drl led or a bulb, and if so can they be changed

for different color as in kelvin. also maybe color in red, blue, etc

·
Premium Member
2016 SG RS2
278 Posts
Unless someone else knows. From my searches you cant replace them. I have replaced every bulb on the car inside and out haven't come across a seprate part number for LED DRL's.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Red & blue are generally illegal (reserved for law enforcement). Some states allow blue but I am pretty sure none allow red at the front of the car. A guaranteed ticket, at least where I've lived.

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
Red & blue are generally illegal (reserved for law enforcement). Some states allow blue but I am pretty sure none allow red at the front of the car. A guaranteed ticket, at least where I've lived.

Maaaaan.... I see red halos, green strobes, even RGB unicorn sparkles... Cops here cant do jack.

I want GT yellow headlights, I know for a fact, I'd get thrown in jail on the spot 5 minutes after installing them. But some people can get away with driving with 2 LED light bars on, cops see only what they want to see.

Sorry, I'm in a bit of a rant. I've wondered about changing the color temperature of the DRL's myself.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I believe they are part of the headlight assembly housing - https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/switches/headlamp-assy-6429827-1

That being said, if you are really motivated you can probably replace the individual LEDs with different colors (actually now that I think about it, it might be possible to hook one of these strips with LEDs that have RGB LEDs so you can choose almost any color by a hardwired remote or app - most of these run on 12V already so not much would need to change and there are some that are dedicated to be installed outdoors).

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
You have to take apart the housing to replace the LED strip.

·
Registered
261 Posts
They're LED, and it's technically non-serviceable. Just like the rear running lights, they're built into the housing. If you want customized colours, you'd have to replace the LEDs by baking open the assembly. Be careful, the headlight assemblies aren't cheap.

The DRL LED controller is housed inside the headlight assembly, the car only sends a signal to the headlights telling the headlights to have DRL fully on, dim, or off. Because of this, different headlight assemblies made from different batches will have binning issues, i.e. the DRL colours and brightness are made to within a certain tolerance, and that tolerance does not appear to be very tight. What this means is if you have two headlights from different batches, the DRLs may appear noticeably different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts