Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. Has anyone had a problem with selecting their driving mode? I go to select mine and sometime it works and sometimes it doesn't. To add on when it is not working it says "Driving mode not selected" it also sometimes does this when I select a driving mode and returns me back to "normal" mode with a "Driving mode not selected" message. Any ideas on what to do?

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Use the search function, friend. This was a very common issue. Umpteen threads exist, I'm sure. Your answer is probably in one of them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
For what it may be worth, I haven't had my exhaust valves hang like others that experience this issue but every once in a while I get the "drive mode not available" pop up. Everything usually works after a quick restart.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have a question. Has anyone had a problem with selecting their driving mode? I go to select mine and sometime it works and sometimes it doesn't. To add on when it is not working it says "Driving mode not selected" it also sometimes does this when I select a driving mode and returns me back to "normal" mode with a "Driving mode not selected" message. Any ideas on what to do?
Do you notice this "drive mode selection unavailable" error when switching to a particular mode? ie sport, track or drift?

Typically, on colder climates, the error can come up due to the exhaust flap being frozen. If the error comes up when switching to track mode (or turning the dampers to "sport"/stiff), it could be related to the electrical connections on the dampers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you notice this "drive mode selection unavailable" error when switching to a particular mode? ie sport, track or drift?

Typically, on colder climates, the error can come up due to the exhaust flap being frozen. If the error comes up when switching to track mode (or turning the dampers to "sport"/stiff), it could be related to the electrical connections on the dampers.
Sometimes on sport. It's not often, here and there. But track and drift mode doesnt work. I instantly get the error code no matter what.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Check out this thread:

https://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focus-rs-discussions/33033-drive-mode-selection-not-available-error.html#/topics/33033

1st thing I did after buying the RS was to buy a bypass connector and unplugged the valve. I have a CB exhaust now with no valve as I found it useless for my needs. Just something else to cause a potential issue.

A number of things can cause it. Bad connection at the valve, faulty mechanism within the valve, a stuck valve and a loose or pinched connection on any one of the active suspension shocks. There are other reasons as well but it's been a while since I've read up on it....

·
Registered
232 Posts
So, I bought Cobb's turbo back exhaust system for the RS, and installed the cat-back portion myself last month (the downpipe was a little too much of a challenge for me, given the position of various bits, so I had that professionally done).. I'm really hoping that message doesn't come back this winter (when I've typically seen it), given it's a different valve / part, and a larger diameter exhaust all around.. we'll see.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Sometimes on sport. It's not often, here and there. But track and drift mode doesnt work. I instantly get the error code no matter what.
Interesting... Does the error come up when just switching the dampers to sport (button at the tip of the left stalk)? If so, your issue is at the dampers and not the exhaust flap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So, I bought Cobb's turbo back exhaust system for the RS, and installed the cat-back portion myself last month (the downpipe was a little too much of a challenge for me, given the position of various bits, so I had that professionally done).. I'm really hoping that message doesn't come back this winter (when I've typically seen it), given it's a different valve / part, and a larger diameter exhaust all around.. we'll see.
If the valve is kept lubed (silicone? dry?) shouldn't it be a non-issue?

·
Registered
232 Posts
If the valve is kept lubed (silicone? dry?) shouldn't it be a non-issue?
Agreed; I’d never really put any additional lube on the stock valve. I remember seeing it the same winter I picked up my RS (Dec. ‘16).. I’ll keep that in mind with the Cobb one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
Lumandris
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing