Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you are purchasing one of these cars you may want to take a class in one of your local driving schools because a certain percentage of these will not make it through the first or second year and that will include fatalities .
food for thought !!

·
Registered
969 Posts
if you are purchasing one of these cars you may want to take a class in one of your local driving schools because a certain percentage of these will not make it through the first or second year and that will include fatalities .
food for thought !!
I plan on doing at least one session.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been like a vulture trying to scrounge RS parts for the Mark one long with Glenn in Dallas and other people around the country, competing buying parts on eBay winning and losing people trying to cheat you out of thousands of dollars in Germany so we've seen a lot of them fall to the wayside from mishaps.This car will be like my crotch rocket and a beer they do not mix

·
Registered
213 Posts
Extensive and professional driving experience here but with it being a manual and priced where it is I think that will keep a lot of the cars safe... Slightly off topic but why do people buy jeep rubicons when they never have any inclinations to take it off road and or put low profile 20's on it.....they could have saved a ton of money buy just getting a base jeep....but what do I know.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
food for thought !!
LOL you are probably correct! I quit going to the S2000 rallies because we always had a couple of drivers that tried to over-drive their abilities and it would get boring waiting for the wrecker truck/s. :D

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
119 Posts
Same. Weeks and weeks of track time in cars and motors. Driving and shooting ...... Driving and shooting lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
400 Posts
it's always the 'elephant in the room'...people talking about fast cars and then modding them further (sometimes, not for the better)....people asking 'what's the minimum safety equipment I need for the track?'...
The absolute best thing you can do is to invest in training and safety equipment. I've invested a fair amount in both, and while sh$# may not happen to you, I'm sure glad I made those investments...else I wouldn't be typing this.

If you are looking for some great skill-building, I'd recommend Dirtfish rally school. Great experience overall...great facility / instructors / equipment. I've done most of the top-end road racing schools and driven a wide range of cars on track, but the rally stuff is just a great way to access and tune your limits.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One of my favourite sayings is "High performance cars don't kill people, low performance drivers do". Here in Australia, I've always held the belief there should be mandatory advanced/defensive driver training for not only new people on the road, yet every individual that holds a licence on a routine basis.

At the end of the day you can drive any car at speed to be involved in a fatal accident. In Australia anyway, If more emphasis was placed on teaching individuals to control a vehicle in all conditions it would go a long way to reducing the number of deaths on our roads that can be said for other countries.

There are too many variables to eliminate road fatalities, however, as I have said, low performance drivers kill, not high performance cars.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
food for thought !!
I think people in general need to be more cautious on the street. I probably drive like a grandma compared to some here.

About 20 years of track and racing experience here makes me drive like a grandma on the street.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I only plan on tracking my RS once in a blue moon but before I hit the track for the first time I'll probably take some kind of course. But for regular driving I think I'll be just fine.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I fully intend to learn the car before taking it to its limits. When I bought my ST it was so far and above performance levels of my previous car that I had to relearn to drive it better. Ran it in three autocross events and got to know its limits. Next season ran an entire season and won GStock and overall points championship as well.

It took some time to get to know the car and push beyond what I was use to with my previous car because the ST excellerated harder, turned in sharper, gripped better, and hung its ass out which no FWD car I've ever owned before did.

I fully expect driving the RS to be similar. If you watch the Reirth of a Legend videos, you'll note comments to the effect that in a corner when your out of shape, mash the throttle. Learning to exploit the handling characteristics of the RS is going to be the challenge.

Unfortunately, I fear that there will be those who will not take there time getting to know the cars limits and overestimate their own.

·
Registered
742 Posts
20 years experience on the track and 4 years of dding a mustang, I think that my travels will actually get quite a bit safer, lol.

If I can get a 400hp rwd car through a 18+ inch snowstorm, I think I can manage 350hp with the benefit of awd.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Well if any one is considering any schools they usually all have amazing Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales, you purchase then and then pick your date for when ever. Any track time is great experience and builds your skills as driver. I have done a few along with a bunch of supercar experiences. I would recommend if they offer more days at the school take them, each day builds on the first and gets better and better. I did 3 days of the Team O'neil rally school, only to realize that day 3 is where I had the most fun and actually had great rhythm with driving on a loose surface, 3 months later I was back for day 4&5 and they throw in Day 3 as a recap no charge.

Even a very experienced driver can take something away from a school but may find one day schools a bit of a waste. If you want to turn your world upside down, then go to rally school and basically have everything that you learned on Tarmac be obsolete in terms of how the vehicle is driven.

For any one who want's an example of what something like a supercar experience offers in terms of refining technique for those who have not done it. I have some rally videos too if you google crookedletta260 they will pop up, the problem is I was lucky enough to be teamed up with a guy who had a go pro, the second time I should of bought one because days 4&5 were pretty crazy especially in the little FiST.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My word of advice:
TAKE ADVANCED/RACE DRIVING SCHOOLS

There's plenty of them regionally, look up reviews in your area. Most are not horribly expensive (range between $250-400 for full day events here), and given the price you're paying for this car its nothing. I took Hanson International Driving school this past summer (in the Toronto Area) and I highly recommend it. Having an experienced instructor in car with you who guides your technique, lines, braking and acceleration approaches will make a huge difference.

I plan to do a few more learning events and other track days/autocross events both before and after I get the RS in the Spring.

Don't try to learn these things yourself in the RS if you're not experienced with track or performance-oriented driving. And ESPECIALLY NOT on the street.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've signed up for one through a LivingSocial deal - that should be good. I would absolutely love to do the 5-day Team O'Neill rally course, but that's $5k! :(

Anybody got good search criteria to look for as far as looking for classes? A few quick searches are finding me defensive driving and ... advanced defensive driving

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
About this Discussion
60 Replies
35 Participants
ginamarie135
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing