Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 596 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks - my RS has been pretty good to me over the last 8,000 kms, however while driving around yesterday 3 times I got the error message "Drive Mode Selection Not Available". It seems to go away after a restart, and once while the error was on I was actually able to change the drive mode. Has anyone else seen this? I tried to search but didn't come up with much...

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
Someone else on the forum mentioned this a couple of months ago.

edit: I think it was if you disconnect the plug on the exhaust flap and it doesn't self check properly. (the click,click when you open the door)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know, I'll take a look to make sure everything is still connected there, although I know I still get the "click click" whenever I open the door. Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had this happen to me yesterday while starting up and went away after a restart. I may have hit start and then accidentally hit the drive mode button as the start sequence was still on going. I'm at 9,000 miles now.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I and at least one other person have had this after autox'ing the car in hot conditions after multiple runs close together. No AWD off message only the drive mode not available message. Mode went to normal and I was unable to switch drive modes. TCS/ESC turned back on also. I was able to turn off TCS but holding the button to turn off ESC wasn't doing anything. Turned the car off/on and things reverted back to normal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Happened to me on track, right after the RDU overheated and showed AWD OFF. Was fine after that, haven't seen the message since.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It happened to me once too, about a month or so ago. It did go away after restarting and hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got this message on start up this morning along with the AWD off message. Power off/power back on and it went away. 4400 miles on a basically stock RS. First time occurrence.

·
Registered
624 Posts
If it's going into track mode or when trying to put the shocks into Sport mode, that can indicate a bad connection to one of the shocks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
"Drive Mode Selection Not Available" Error?

Had this happen to me twice on the track. Didn't get a AWD off message... got a service engine now message and Drive Mode Selection Not Available message. No check engine light. Restarting the car reset both alerts.

Car went into limp mode both times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had this problem couple weeks back and the message didn't go away. Only front wheels worked. I took it to the dealer. They cleaned out the sensors on the wheels and it cleared the messages and car has been fine ever since. That's what they say they did

·
Registered
467 Posts
I had this happen and mine was actually due to a faulty battery. Go figure

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this problem today when there was -7 celsius in the morning. I drove to work and shutdown and restart the engine and message was was gone. After 2 hours I started the car again and the message was there again. Very annoying. Again I drove the car warm and restarted the engine and failure notification went away.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had this message come up a couple of weeks ago on a cold, icy, snowy morning. I figured the solenoid was just cold/slightly frozen shut. After letting it warm up I restarted the car and it was fine. Haven't had it happen again since.

Reactions: Nota2.5RS

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think its temp related. I live in a colder climate and on days when it has gotten colder i've had this happen. Any time i've started the car below -10c i've gotten the error

·
Registered
4 Posts
My RS is going to have Engine heater November 15th and dealer will check if there is some better information stored in ECU memory. I Think it is the exhaust flap that isn't working normally in lower temperatures. I let you all know when I hear the result.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the exact same experience! Every time I start the car in cold weather I get the message and it goes away if I restart the car when it is warm. Very annoying...

·
Registered
848 Posts
This happens to me all the time. Doesn't really get above freezing now and I suspect it's the valve in the exhaust freezing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer checked and there was no fault codes stored in memory. In fact they said that it is only a message similar like there was only a little windscreen washing fluid left. They thought it could be on purpose to protect the car on icy conditions when the engine is still cold.
I'm not buying that unless I get some documentation from Ford. But **** why is it so difficult to get information that is correct?

1 - 20 of 596 Posts