Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Is anyone excited about this "feature"?

I am not. I think its a gimmick and am kind of annoyed that it has been highlighted in almost every article and video about the car so far and we haven't even started seeing hands on reviews yet.

Who thinks it will do what the name implies (Auto Ken Block Button)?

·
Registered
46 Posts

I am not. I think its a gimmick and am kind of annoyed that it has been highlighted in almost every article and video about the car so far and we haven't even started seeing hands on reviews yet.

Maybe it will just give a more rwd feel to the fwd biased car?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Maybe it's just a cool word salesmen can use to justify their adm.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Look man it's got "drift mode"$ and I have a dozen guys ready to jump on this. It's the last base model with only 268 miles on it from the lead tech and a few test drives. Only 45,599.62 plus tax...........well?

image.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Look man it's got "drift mode"$ and I have a dozen guys ready to jump on this. It's the last base model with only 268 miles on it from the lead tech and a few test drives. Only 45,599.62 plus tax...........well?

View attachment 1095
I'd take it for 45,599.62!
Mostly as I'm looking at a bare minimum of $52k + on roads in AU, more likely to be north of $55k
xdcgB2v.jpg

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
/\ lol now that's funny. In the states that would be getting hosed.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I don't see getting much use with drift mode unless it changes the handling characteristics resulting in faster track/autox times.
honestly I hope its more than a dumb gimmick that overheats the rear brakes.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I most likely will only use it in the snow but even then my left foot braking techniques prove more then enough in the ST to sustain a controlled drift. I look at it as more of a bonus at this point but it may be a blast to drive in drift mode, we just don't know yet.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I think it will be fun on a track or at autox (or an empty parking lot). It just programming so it doesn't cost anything extra.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I think it will be fun on a track or at autox (or an empty parking lot). It just programming so it doesn't cost anything extra.
It was stated that Drift mode through the AWD development a curveball and had to be strengthened more, also don't forget about fine tuning the system which takes time and all that does add up in the R&D budget.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
It was stated that Drift mode through the AWD development a curveball and had to be strengthened more, also don't forget about fine tuning the system which takes time and all that does add up in the R&D budget.
I don't mind paying for a strengthened awd system

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I am actually. I think it will make the car fun and more like a rwd car when I want it to be and an awd car when I want it to be. I'm also hoping to be able to tweak drift mode to whatever I want it to be with a Cobb access port. The percentages are just stored values in the ECU, I'm really hoping Cobb exposes them so I can tweak them on the fly or set it up for whatever percentage I end up liking.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I am actually. I think it will make the car fun and more like a rwd car when I want it to be and an awd car when I want it to be. I'm also hoping to be able to tweak drift mode to whatever I want it to be with a Cobb access port. The percentages are just stored values in the ECU, I'm really hoping Cobb exposes them so I can tweak them on the fly or set it up for whatever percentage I end up liking.
It is way more then percentages and takes in a multitude of different measurements to figure TQ split. The way I think the RS will handle is depending on the mode and it will react to what you tell it to do, you want neutral handling should be normal, you want ultimate grip with slight over steer most likely track mode and drift mode will be for hanging the tail out and inducing drifts with power.

·
Super Moderator
15,325 Posts
I've been wondering a while about the drift mode option and can't get past the Hooning image of doing donuts in a empty parking lot. Another thought I have is how many tires this will have me go through if I were to use it. I'd be happy if this is just an advanced ESC setting to help get through the twisties but also doesn't wear out the brakes.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I am well aware that sensors are taken into account when the ECU does calcs to split torque to a percentage. This is one of the things that drew me to the RS, it is similar to the GTR in this capacity.

It is still percentages ... it may have a lookup table depending on steering angle, yaw, pitch, roll and speed, but at the end of the day, it is still a lookup table(s) written into the ECU's uC that can be tweaked if they are exposed, as I indicated in my earlier post. It is all 1's and 0's in the uC and if exposed, can be adjusted to suit the drivers preference.

It is way more then percentages and takes in a multitude of different measurements to figure TQ split. The way I think the RS will handle is depending on the mode and it will react to what you tell it to do, you want neutral handling should be normal, you want ultimate grip with slight over steer most likely track mode and drift mode will be for hanging the tail out and inducing drifts with power.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Why is everyone concerned with drift mode killing rear brakes?

·
Registered
69 Posts
You may want to read NASOIC before you start tweaking the AWD system, they have a great thread over on it that the one guy works for the company doing the software for the RS drive system. He has also been test driving the car here in the states and is taking it to track.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
if the driver doesn’t work the wheel accordingly or he overcooks the corner, Drift Mode is able to get things sorted out for you. Automatically applying the Brembo performance brakes, shuffling torque, playing with the electric steering system’s ratio, it can do it all in order to help the driver complete a drifting maneuver or get him out of harm’s way.
full article
Yes, the 2016 Ford Focus RS Has a Drift Mode for All You Oversteer Junkies and Amateur Drifters - autoevolution for Mobile

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Because most "vectoring" systems brake the inside wheels. Whereas systems like the RS has or the sports diff in Audis actually sends more power to the outside wheels and doesn't necessarily have to brake the inside wheels.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
13 Participants
jpdaugherty
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing