Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Vendor
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm also very interested to see how this car will handle snow... I'm sure it will be great in the snow but I imagine it will be very interesting to drive in the snow.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I'm also very interested to see how this car will handle snow... I'm sure it will be great in the snow but I imagine it will be very interesting to drive in the snow.
I think that is why the are implementing 4 different modes, to characterize the vehicle to the situation at hand. I'm sure in normal mode with everything engaged it will be very neutral, but once you start moving up in modes it will get more tail happy. I can't wait to find out and I have a lot of big parking lots to experiment with, and plenty of obstacles(brand new cars) in them to hone my skills!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I honestly hate this. I'm not a 12 and am not fascinated by the "sport" that is drifting. I am interested in the fastest way around a corner, not the most swag inducing. This just automatically labels everyone who owns an RS as a hooligan, a$$hole, and/or douche. The thought of having a scumbag Steve guy come over to me at the track or autoX and ask about the drift button already makes me cringe. Urg.

·
Registered
17 Posts
^
I would just laugh at him and smile. If the RS is the real deal like I'm hoping, then you and I know people will openly or secretly adore it. A real enthusiast will respect it's driving dynamics, even though he/she would or wouldn't buy it. In the end to each their own, I like what I like.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I honestly hate this. I'm not a 12 and am not fascinated by the "sport" that is drifting. I am interested in the fastest way around a corner, not the most swag inducing. This just automatically labels everyone who owns an RS as a hooligan, a$$hole, and/or douche. The thought of having a scumbag Steve guy come over to me at the track or autoX and ask about the drift button already makes me cringe. Urg.
This is more of a showcase showing the advantage Ford has made over the Haldex system that is prone to understeer, and their ability of sophistication to harness the power of AWD and the stability control then apply them together to create a system to work with you instead of against. Remember Ford isn't the first to do this in a sence as Ferrari implemented Slide Slip Control on the 458 Speciale, essentially the same type of system just that it is always on and varies with the Manettino.

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
Well its the good thing that the button says "Drive Mode" rather than "Drift Mode" then isn't it?

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Guys, before everyone gets super excited about this whole "drift mode" thing I think you guys should read these comments from one of the AWD developers that worked on the RS AWD that's on NASIOC and I quote:

"I thought "drift" mode was mentioned somewhere in the original press release last month. Maybe not. In any case it's completely useless. It's the mode which pushes all the hardware to the point of breaking just so brotatoes can KB themselves into a group of 8 year olds when the turbo spools at 12mph while drifting through a school zone."

"Drift mode doesn't send 70% of the torque to the rear. Ford marketing took a broad spectrum of data and seems to have focused on something of a capacity number and not an actual functional number. It's FWD architecture. It can't put 70% of max torque to the rear without back-driving the front end and binding up the driveline. That'll cause things like the prop shaft and PTU to have some sort of aluminum confetti party."

This whole 70% of the torque thing is mostly BS, marketing people running with things they don't understand.

If you want the whole 80 page thread with a lot of proof that this guy is truly one of the devs of the AWD it's here: 2016 Ford Focus RS - NASIOC

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
By marketing, do you mean the VP and lead engineers that designed the RS. This was stated directly out of their mouths. In the end numbers are just numbers and can't justify the overall feel of this car. If the RS drives like they say it will, then it doesn't matter how much TQ it sends to the rear, just the final result.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I honestly don't care about drift mode and will never, ever use it. I'm interested in Normal / Sport / Track modes and Launch Control, because those are the ones that I'll actually make use of. Drifting just isn't something I'd do with my daily driver, much less on city streets or on public parking lots.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Guys, before everyone gets super excited about this whole "drift mode" thing I think you guys should read these comments from one of the AWD developers that worked on the RS AWD that's on NASIOC and I quote:

"I thought "drift" mode was mentioned somewhere in the original press release last month. Maybe not. In any case it's completely useless. It's the mode which pushes all the hardware to the point of breaking just so brotatoes can KB themselves into a group of 8 year olds when the turbo spools at 12mph while drifting through a school zone."

"Drift mode doesn't send 70% of the torque to the rear. Ford marketing took a broad spectrum of data and seems to have focused on something of a capacity number and not an actual functional number. It's FWD architecture. It can't put 70% of max torque to the rear without back-driving the front end and binding up the driveline. That'll cause things like the prop shaft and PTU to have some sort of aluminum confetti party."

This whole 70% of the torque thing is mostly BS, marketing people running with things they don't understand.

If you want the whole 80 page thread with a lot of proof that this guy is truly one of the devs of the AWD it's here: 2016 Ford Focus RS - NASIOC

I'm currently perusing the thread starting from Feb 3rd 2015 onwards. The insider guy is 'Scooby921'. Set your thread view settings to 50 posts a page and start at page 18.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

I skimmed through this and basically it sounds like they are worried about the abuse this system will take in Drift Mode. I got out of it is that the person stating this info is worried that system won't handle the capacity as they didn't design it to handle the abuse. Not really some good PR coming from this guy as manufactures set high demands and expect them to be followed through with out issue until the vehicle is out of warranty especially, and then some. He did kind of hint at that drift mode added cost as in they are beefing up the system. Time will tell, and we will see what the RS can do, also how much abuse it can take.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
I skimmed through this and basically it sounds like they are worried about the abuse this system will take in Drift Mode. I got out of it is that the person stating this info is worried that system won't handle the capacity as they didn't design it to handle the abuse. Not really some good PR coming from this guy as manufactures set high demands and expect them to be followed through with out issue until the vehicle is out of warranty especially, and then some. He did kind of hint at that drift mode added cost as in they are beefing up the system. Time will tell, and we will see what the RS can do, also how much abuse it can take.
The PR is fine...he's saying a lot of good as well and just clearing up the misconceptions. The biggest issue I see is that Ford seemed to have thrown in drift mode at the last minute after the awd system was designed. This doesn't sway me from the car in any way cause I couldn't give a rats ass about drift mode. Just good to know info.

Also, the 70% torque to the rear was blown out of proportion and that didn't make sense to me from the start for a front wheel drive based system so I'm glad this guy is around to shed some light and clarity. What he's saying about that is that at no point in time is the car AT WOT at 70% torque to the rear wheels...check out this set of replies from Scooby...lots of good info here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=43161530&postcount=1717

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Remember Ford isn't the first to do this in a sence as Ferrari implemented Slide Slip Control on the 458 Speciale, essentially the same type of system just that it is always on and varies with the Manettino.
Definitely not "essentially the same type of system"

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
using the stability control and power delivery to control yaw at an indicated angle depending on your ability to catch the vehicle.
But you're comparing a RWD architecture that's capable of sending 100% of power and torque to a real wheel with a FWD based car that is not able to do anything close to that.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
But you're comparing a RWD architecture that's capable of sending 100% of power and torque to a real wheel with a FWD based car that is not able to do anything close to that.
Correct as it is the only other type of system that comes close to drift mode. The results are the same, just implemented differently. I was comparing the way they work and what they do, not saying how they do it. They both use various sensors to see if the driver is up to par with the ability to address the slide at hand. If they are not, then the system cuts in to save you but other wise will let you hang the tail out all day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
8 Participants
KingZee
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing