Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
BTW, I've researched about SLC DA and now It makes perfect sense on why I felt like crap in the Adrenaline Academy... from 11am onwards I was at the verge of throwing out all the time and I'm used to train in high altitude although I was a little out of shape. I've compared DA from SLC with the one from high altitude mountains back in Chile (where I lived until late 2016) and it was almost the same up to a point.

At 12k ft I had 8000 DA down there :)
Yeah, its crazy how people feel coming from lower climates - I hear it a lot.. but it absolutely effects power

·
Registered
156 Posts
We have crappy D/A down in my corner of VA and I was tickled with how well the RS ran stock. I'm running 8.4's in the 1/8th which would be close to a 13 flat in the quarter. That being said as @Azampatti pointed out, I was complaining about how the car has felt "soft" the past week or so. I first noticed after I filled up at a different gas station than what I usually do and chalked it up to being poor gas. I even went so far as noticing that the car wasn't making as much boost as it had the week before. I really think it was a combination of poorer fuel and colder temps causing the car to make less boost and power. After filling up at the local BP Tuesday the power is back but boost is still low with the lower temps.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
We have crappy D/A down in my corner of VA and I was tickled with how well the RS ran stock....
Yeah, you're more in the "high(er)" parts of VA. You have better fun roads than those near me though...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, you're more in the "high(er)" parts of VA. You have better fun roads than those near me though...
Absolutely! I have a really nice drive every day but VDOT is killing it. They're patching the roads and leaving a bunch of loose gravel on the road. Makes it a bit hairy when they don't have a sign up and you're not expecting it which leads to an unexpected drift the first day they started! We had rain last week that washed most of that away and I had good roads again for a couple of days and then they patched them again much to my dismay.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Of course if you're a pilot or a mountain climber, lack of knowledge regarding the possible deleterious effects of reduced air density and corresponding O2 shortage can be fatal. Why the best high flight piston engine aircraft are turbocharged and have O2 for the occupants.
You can't obtain a pilots license without demonstrating rudimentary knowledge of hypoxia (it's part of the private pilots exam) and other altitude related health issues. Turbocharging on aircraft isn't even "charging" per sei. They are referred to as "turbo normalizers" in the biz and do basicly the same. Trying to "normalize" air density for the engine so it can perform its best at any altitude. The turbo aircraft motors really only make 10hp or so more (specifically thinking continental io-540 and its turbo variants) than their counterparts at sea level. The difference is they make more power throughout their altitude range.

O2 is required by law once an aircraft reaches a certain altitude. Planes cruise at higher altitudes to be more efficient since you can lean the fuel way out.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
18 Participants
Tyraid
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing