Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to grab a Ego-X exhaust and figured i may as well change the DP while i'm at it. I am leaning towards catted and was wondering if i would throw any error codes if i do not have a tune?

I plan to tune in the future, but not for a year or so.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
So, you *may* throw a P0420, but you shouldn't. An option would be to install a J pipe on the rear sensor bung so the O2 sensor isn't getting too much "bad" exhaust fumes.

But, and this is just my opinion based upon seeing several dyno charts and well respected tuner blogs, you're wasting your money on the full exhaust. You'll get more performance from a OTS map than your current plan. And you will spend less. But, it's your money and your car...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
You can buy an o2 cheater. CFM sells a nice one

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Round about way of answering your question, but I wouldn't run any aftermarket downpipe without a tune.
The RS isn't like a Subaru. The downpipe is relatively short and the car doesn't reject a little more flow like the Scoob does. The organic effects of the DP are minimal anyhow.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand I won't be gaining much, it's more for sound. I just figured if I'm in there I may as well do the DP too. I'd like to wait 2 years before I void my warrantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I understand I won't be gaining much, it's more for sound. I just figured if I'm in there I may as well do the DP too. I'd like to wait 2 years before I void my warrantee.

If you have good supporting mods such as an upgraded fmic and fueling, you can run more boost with a free flowing dp related to more volumetric efficiency and less pumping loss.

The DP is sort of like the final bolt on cherry. With the right mods you can get more than 5% gains up top.

At least that is how I see it.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
If you have good supporting mods such as an upgraded fmic and fueling, you can run more boost with a free flowing dp related to more volumetric efficiency and less pumping loss.

The DP is sort of like the final bolt on cherry. With the right mods you can get more than 5% gains up top.

Impressive first post. Welcome to the party!

I hope you’re not a hologram. =)

·
Registered
28 Posts

Impressive first post. Welcome to the party!

I hope you’re not a hologram. =)
https://youtu.be/Rn-Sa0MlFkg

George Lucas at his early best.....

Sorry, don't mean to derail topic :)

Still love the car escape scene.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts

If it's audible difference you're after, a catted DP won't sound any different. Furthermore, the cat-back install is a easy job. The downpipe is a bit more involved. Sure, the two are connected and therefore in proximity, but it's not an "in and out" job.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Re-opening this old thread.
I installed a MBRP catted down pipe and I get the P0420 code at least 2 times a week. I have not gotten anew tune since installing the down pipe so that may be the issue.
Also occasional along with the P0420 I get a "P2196 02 sensor stuck rich bank 1 sensor 1" code Maybe it is a bad 02 sensor. Ideas?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts