Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some googling, but I can’t seem to find out on my own.
With the right tune, can you run E30/E40 on the stock setup without adding the rails etc I was reading about for e85 I think?

what do you guys think of going this route, and what kind of increases could one expect?
any help appreciated

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Correct, you can run E30 without rails and a tune set up for it. Usually you would have a pump gas tune (91 or 93) in slot 1 and an E30 tune in slot 2. With proper bolt-ons (mainly an aftermarket intercooler), you can expect a 20-30 whp gain.

·
Registered
403 Posts
As above. No need for aux fuel rail and injector. Fuelling wise you are at the limit with E40.
Get a tune and bolt ons and you'll love it.
I've been running E30 for over 12 months now. Stratified tuned my car. I'm making 268kw at the wheels compared to 250kw on 98Ron. Is to mix as well. The fuel economy isn't that much worse either.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any negative long term effect (reliability)? and what is difference between 30 and 40?
aside from the ratio of mix...
More ethanol the more power?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Any negative long term effect (reliability)? and what is difference between 30 and 40?
aside from the ratio of mix...
More ethanol the more power?
This seems to be a fairly common mod and there have been a lot of cars running E30 for a few years now without any issue. I myself have been running it for the last 2 yrs with no issue, but only on trackdays and in the summer.

The "30" and "40" stand for the percentage of ethanol in the fuel ie E85 = 85% ethanol, E30 = 30% ethanol, etc. Typically, standard 91 or 93 octane fuel is around E10. Ethanol has the effect of increasing the octane rating of your fuel, so running an E30 mix of E85 and 91 bumps it up to around 94-95.

The octane rating of a fuel rate it's ability to resist preignition. The higher the rating, the more you can compress the fuel before it self ignites. Higher octane rating basically means more "possible" power due to a more controlled combustion.

Does that mean more ethanol more power? Yes, but in our platform, there's some stipulations. Our fuel systems can really just keep up to E30 safely. You get past that and you run into fuel starvation (hence you see folks upgrading fuel pumps, going with aux fueling, etc. to run higher ethanol blends).

·
Registered
403 Posts
This seems to be a fairly common mod and there have been a lot of cars running E30 for a few years now without any issue. I myself have been running it for the last 2 yrs with no issue, but only on trackdays and in the summer.

The "30" and "40" stand for the percentage of ethanol in the fuel ie E85 = 85% ethanol, E30 = 30% ethanol, etc. Typically, standard 91 or 93 octane fuel is around E10. Ethanol has the effect of increasing the octane rating of your fuel, so running an E30 mix of E85 and 91 bumps it up to around 94-95.

The octane rating of a fuel rate it's ability to resist preignition. The higher the rating, the more you can compress the fuel before it self ignites. Higher octane rating basically means more "possible" power due to a more controlled combustion.

Does that mean more ethanol more power? Yes, but in our platform, there's some stipulations. Our fuel systems can really just keep up to E30 safely. You get past that and you run into fuel starvation (hence you see folks upgrading fuel pumps, going with aux fueling, etc. to run higher ethanol blends).
Well said

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
With the right tune, can you run E30/E40 on the stock setup without adding the rails etc I was reading about for e85 I think?

what do you guys think of going this route, and what kind of increases could one expect?
any help appreciated
Perhaps an answer to your question is that E85 is about 105 octane, which is why mixing E85 with 91/93 is useful because it ups the octane of the fuel in your tank. More octane = more timing = more power. Ethanol eats seals and fuel lines that aren't rated for the mixture of ethanol in the fuel, and the consensus is that our fuel system is good up until E30ish. Ethanol has a lower specific heat (takes more ethanol to burn to make the same HP) so you will hit fueling limits sooner on ethanol than gasoline by itself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As above. No need for aux fuel rail and injector. Fuelling wise you are at the limit with E40.
Get a tune and bolt ons and you'll love it.
I've been running E30 for over 12 months now. Stratified tuned my car. I'm making 268kw at the wheels compared to 250kw on 98Ron. Is to mix as well. The fuel economy isn't that much worse either.

Gday fellow Aussie.

So am I reading this correctly that I can run E30 without the fuel rail etc?

I have full bolt ons currently.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Fuel has what’s called an anti-knock index, or AKI, which is calculated based on the average of two different tests: the research octane number (RON) test, and the motor octane number (MON) test.The research octane number test consists of a single-cylinder engine that runs at 600 rpm. Using 125-degree F intake temperature and standard barometric pressure, this part-throttle test determines a fuel’s detonation resistance at light load.
The motor octane number test is more severe: the single-cylinder engine runs at 900 rpm, and breathes 300-degree F intake air. This is a heavy-load test that determines how a fuel will perform at wide-open throttle.
When buying gas at the pump, you’re choosing a fuel based on its AKI—the pump wears EPA-required decals showing (R+M)/2 and fuel grades like 93, 89, and 87. So as an example, clicking the “93” button means you’re selecting a fuel that might have a 97 research octane and an 89 motor octane. (97 + 89 = 186) / 2 = 93 octane.
But with race fuels, companies sometimes only list the MON number for fuels they consider “track only,” and can list the MON, RON, and R+M/2 numbers for street-friendly formulations. Both the MON and RON have value; however, unless you need to choose a race fuel based on its RON or R+M/2 number for a certain racing class, experts recommend that you base your fuel choice on its MON.
E85 isn’t magic, the merit of the fuel is in two of its properties: its octane rating and its cooling ability. Octane rating is a measure of a fuel’s ability to withstand detonation or knock. Too much boost or too much ignition advance can lead to detonation on pump fuels. The octane rating of E85 is in the region of 105, but when combined with its cooling properties, the actual knock resistance of E85 is much higher than the octane rating would suggest. It also has a very high ‘latent heat of evaporation’. If you failed chemistry, don’t stress. Which means that when E85 is injected into the engine, it phase changes from liquid to gas . This process absorbs a lot of heat from the intake charge.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Gday fellow Aussie.

So am I reading this correctly that I can run E30 without the fuel rail etc?

I have full bolt ons currently.
Not to answer for @fbaltona but yes, E30-E35 can be run without auxiliary fueling no problem. When you start running E40-E85 is when you will start running into issues and will need an upgraded fuel pump, fuel rail, injectors, DI controller, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not to answer for @fbaltona but yes, E30-E35 can be run without auxiliary fueling no problem. When you start running E40-E85 is when you will start running into issues and will need an upgraded fuel pump, fuel rail, injectors, DI controller, etc.
Thanks mate.

Do I need anything at all to start running E30?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Cheers. Can you recommend a sensor?
Cheapest option for a kit already made would be the one from tune+ which uses Bluetooth and connects to your phone app.

I have the one from full blown motorsports which has a gauge.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Here you go in plain simple terms.

E30

E40

In all seriousness. When I had my 14 ST, I remember lots of people running E30 mixtures in their cars for a little more pep. Quite a few were running it with out a tune with no problems. The rest of them running it got the Cobb tuner and I believe it came with a off the shelf tune for E30. I don't know 100% I never messed with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts

any help appreciated
I’m running e30 right now and I usually do 3.5-4.0 gallons of e85 and then the rest is 93

any help appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Correct, you can run E30 without rails and a tune set up for it. Usually you would have a pump gas tune (91 or 93) in slot 1 and an E30 tune in slot 2. With proper bolt-ons (mainly an aftermarket intercooler), you can expect a 20-30 whp gain.

any help appreciated
With a Mountune intake and larger intercooler my custom dyno tune went from 344 WHP on 91 to 380 WHP with the E30 tune and you can feel the difference...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts