Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I got my FoRS a couple of months ago, I've been surprised with how many other drivers start to do aggressive stuff around me. For instance, blowing by me on the highway and pulling in front and slowing down, trying to race from lights, lots of engine revving, really close lane changes while staring at me, etc. I also get lots of thumbs up and stuff, but that's not good for ranting :)

I'm just a guy with grey hair and a kid seat in the back making my way to work or daycare most of the time. What's up? The other drivers tend to have GTI's, Civics, Subaru WRX's, etc. It seems that I've bought my way into the boy-racer demographic with this car. Haha, I wasn't expecting that from driving a Focus RS. I've never had that kind of reaction when driving my Elise or the occasional rental exotic.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
At its core, the RS is a souped up Focus.

You're drawing in other modified vehicles. Whether they're a GTI which is a souped up Golf, a WRX which is a souped up Impreza, or Sis which are souped up Civics.

You've entered the realm of boy racers and extreme rice with your factory modified vehicle.

As for your question, yes, I get a lot of aggression, and also a lot of thumbs ups and smiles. I keep to myself and wave back since I tend to run into the same people often. My car is for my enjoyment only. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I actually experience the exact opposite. To most people, it is just a Focus and they don't bother looking twice. To those who know about the RS (Golf R, Subies, FoST), I get a friendly wave or thumbs up.
My exact experience. Even in NB, 99.9% of the population sees it as purely a focus hatchback. Next. It's fun (but rare) to make eye contact with someone else who thinks it's a cool car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
My physical presence seems to incite aggression in other drivers for reasons that have yet to be explained. It is independent of which car I am driving or even if I am the one driving. The common refrain every time that I go somewhere with someone is, "Why don't we have a dash cam yet?"

I see no difference in other driver actions between any of the cars that I drive regularly.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I always run with a dash cam. the **** you see...

the evo seems to incite aggression but that's probably due to the wing... leave me alone man I don't mess around on the street..

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
every car wants to race, from ricers to diesel trucks, its ridiculous.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I always run with a dash cam. the **** you see...

the evo seems to incite aggression but that's probably due to the wing... leave me alone man I don't mess around on the street..
Debadging and removing the wing from my Evo tuned down that sort of behavior. I havent noticed much in the RS so far aside form a few random Subaru drivers.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
You're also in the SF Bay area I see... I can confirm 100% what you're getting.

I drove a very obviously modified car back in Chicago and didn't get experience the level of stupidity I get around here when someone notices. I enjoy the honks and thumbs-up's from random people, but would prefer if every STI and BRZ didn't nearly kill someone trying to get my attention to street race.

I just replied to another thread with a story from my local buddy about exactly this. Not trying to pick on Subaru owners as a whole, but something about the ones in the bay area scare me to death.

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focus-rs-discussions/68714-busted-up-subaru-meet-last-night-4.html#post1391793
TL : DR-- STI trying to show off, hit-and-run on 2 cars, we have his body panels now!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use to own a bug eye wrx so I have no problem saying this. Subie owners are the worst people on the rd they all have something to prove. Anyone that has ever tried to race me in the past few yrs have been Subie people.

·
Registered
476 Posts
No, but my wife's minivan does.

Dudes get all butthurt when they're passed by a minivan.

If you're in the left lane and not moving fast enough I'm going to pass your ass!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Actually, the only person my RS incites aggression in is me. I try not to be an a-hole on the road. But I have a very "know your role" attitude towards other drivers and they're respective vehicles. As in...you should only attempt to pass me or get ahead of me if your vehicle is, in fact, superior to my own. Otherwise, fall the fu*k back. This is usually where my aggression tends to come through and I drop a gear and floor it. I believe in a world where slower cars always keep right and yield to the more powerful vehicle. We don't live in this world. So, people must be schooled.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I actually experience the exact opposite. To most people, it is just a Focus and they don't bother looking twice. To those who know about the RS (Golf R, Subies, FoST), I get a friendly wave or thumbs up.
Mostly samsies here. There is always that ONE guy. But most people don't know what the car is, and thats especially true of Stealth Gray. Its not a standout color.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Actually, the only person my RS incites aggression in is me. I try not to be an a-hole on the road. But I have a very "know your role" attitude towards other drivers and they're respective vehicles. As in...you should only attempt to pass me or get ahead of me if your vehicle is, in fact, superior to my own. Otherwise, fall the fu*k back. This is usually where my aggression tends to come through and I drop a gear and floor it. I believe in a world where slower cars always keep right and yield to the more powerful vehicle. We don't live in this world. So, people must be schooled.
Not sure if joking....but I tend to go 5-7 over. If someone wants to go faster than that, I have no problem with them passing me....even if its a 81 Honda.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I agree in theory. But it's not so much the car you are driving. It's how you drive it. If there are people behind you that obviously want to pass and they're not making ass out themselves, let them by. Increase your speed that extra two miles an hour so you can get out of their way. If you don't, you're the ass.

But unfortunately most people who refuse to drive 5 mph over the speed limit while they're blocking traffic will drive 40 mph over the speed limit when the road opens up to try and block you from passing. They all do it so it must be human nature.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
The car doesn't really incite aggression in me. But I do tend to look at on and off ramps as exercises in stress reduction. :)

Like today. Two cars enter a right turn lane to hit an on-ramp with a wicked nice S-curve. I'm in front, there is a camry behind me.

I notice that there is not a single car in front of me.
  • I get giddy.
  • I get excited.
  • I downshift to 2nd and hold speed.
  • Lift off throttle, turn in
  • Weight transfers front, nose tucks in nicely.
  • HAMMER THE GAS
  • Add a bit of counter steering as car hits 4 wheel tail out drift for a moment before the AWD just rockets out of the corner.
  • Upshift to 3rd before first left of S-curve, keep throttle buried through S-curve.
  • Unwind as curve straightens with a quick upshift to 4th as tach hits 6k.
  • Bury it again, bend the wheel to the right....70-80-85-90-95.....
  • And lift off and coast down to normal highways speeds. :)
And lastly, look back in rear view mirror counting how long it takes the Camry to actually enter the highway.

:)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Literally no one notices the RS. I like that about it. One of the reasons I own one.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Please never start going to the track. You would be one of the worst, and most annoying, drivers there.

·
5,582 Posts
Yes,
To OP I've had Audi , Tesla, Mercedes drivers try to race.

It's all very childish.
Just ignore it.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
About this Discussion
113 Replies
70 Participants
SWEEPTHELEG
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing