Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know this to be true or not? One of my customers is a plant manager for Toyota truck line. He and I were talking today and his brother in law (yeah it's one of those I know a guy who knows a guy deals) who works for Ford global marketing. And the story is that the RS line has limited release to the U.S. of 2000 with a possible fourth quarter 10% addition. I can't imagine that Ford missed the potential projection of sales by that much?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've read somewhere that they have planned an initial run of 13k globally. Obviously The U.S. Loves cars and will get its fair share. They also stated that they expect to be able to meet the demand for the vehicle.

So put this into perspective. The Golf R (a very similar car competition wise) has been selling an average of 400 units per month during 2015, January they only sold 8, they'll undoubtedly slump in the winter. So guesstimate is a little over 4k for the year for the year. Obviously they want to maximize profits and sell as many cars as possible.

I think there's a big scare on this deal, and I've decided I personally have placed my order and will let the chips fall where they fall. I don't think the recent mustang is a parallel. Where that car being unavailable probably sold a lot of mustang GT's.

This car on the other hand is entirely different from its counterparts. For example I have no interest in the ST whatsoever. Ford has to know the market that they are going after, and that's the WRX, EVO crowd. If the focus RS isn't available they won't make money selling more ST's. They'll lose it to Subaru, VW, or another competitor with an AWD hatch with similar performance.

I would say it would be in their best interest to keep demand high, by telling people 2k, build 4k to meet 80% of the demand. Then see how many additional orders come through, and only build half of them, so that the following year people will order more, and then they do the same thing. Make less to sell more.

I don't think that they would have a demand of 5k and only build 2k on this particular vehicle. IMHO.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
6k for a full model year makes sense, but 2016MY is only going to be out 4-5 months (about 1/3 of a model year) before 2017MY normally start rolling out, so 1/3 of 6k is 2k.

·
Registered
386 Posts
6k for a full model year makes sense, but 2016MY is only going to be out 4-5 months (about 1/3 of a model year) before 2017MY normally start rolling out, so 1/3 of 6k is 2k.
Agree on this. I would seriously expect allocations to be met by Ford by the end of the year and some lucky retail orders. Then in 2017 they will fulfill rest of retail orders which would correspond to possibly 6,000 units. Overall, around 8,000 units is a good test for Ford so they have a benchmark in the future. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My question is, what is this 2000 based on? Is it due to them testing out the US market, which I doubt, or lack of time to build more than 2000?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think with the initial preorders JUST in the UK and with the amount of hype and orders placed here (and I assume all the other global markets), they'd be stupid to limit it to 2000. I know for one if 2000 is the actual US allocation and I don't end up with one, I'm going to throw in the towel and go with a Subaru WRX.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
ControlNode,

Yes, very interesting how long Ford will run MY2016 on the RS. I just hope it isn't a 4-5 month Beta shake-out run and that the MY2017 is the first true bug-free "production" run for the RS. I know Ken Block is a good driver and I guess it is good to to give input from a driver's perspective, but what is his mechanical and engineering background and knowledge. Maybe he has a high IQ, because he sure is a weird looking dude!

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
If mine comes in after July of 2016, I'm going to ask for a 2017 model. Why accept a year of depreciation before you even own the car that you're paying MSRP for?

·
Registered
8 Posts
^^ Totally understandable, but the actual value difference between a current year car and a one year old car w/0 miles is actually quite small in most cases. It depends more on how they are classified from a value/depreciation standpoint. Ford is typically in the less aggressive classes, for reference.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
^^ Totally understandable, but the actual value difference between a current year car and a one year old car w/0 miles is actually quite small in most cases. It depends more on how they are classified from a value/depreciation standpoint. Ford is typically in the less aggressive classes, for reference.
Rausch,

I respectfully disagree with you. Check any used car dealer, KBB, Black Book, and you will find everything around a vehicle's price is dependent upon Model Year (MY).

gte has expressed a extremely valid point about MY2016 coming out in July 2016.

IFF (IF and only IF) Ford does the proper, correct thing and calls the first RSs as MY2017 and runs from Spring 2016 through August 2017 as MY2017 then there is no problem, but then that is a 20 month run!

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with his opinion in relation to preferring a '17my so late in the year.

To my point, a 2016 Focus ST lists msrp at $24,370. Clean retail on a 2015 with 0 miles is $24,550. That is current month NADA, for reference, and illustrates my point. I'm not arguing with the logic by any means, but that is the way the numbers work. Values are based on the 'average' mileage of a model year and adjusted up or down when needed. This is a big part of what I do for a living, so all the data is current.

Hope that sheds some light.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've read somewhere that they have planned an initial run of 13k globally. Obviously The U.S. Loves cars and will get its fair share. They also stated that they expect to be able to meet the demand for the vehicle.

So put this into perspective. The Golf R (a very similar car competition wise) has been selling an average of 400 units per month during 2015, January they only sold 8, they'll undoubtedly slump in the winter. So guesstimate is a little over 4k for the year for the year. Obviously they want to maximize profits and sell as many cars as possible.

I think there's a big scare on this deal, and I've decided I personally have placed my order and will let the chips fall where they fall. I don't think the recent mustang is a parallel. Where that car being unavailable probably sold a lot of mustang GT's.

This car on the other hand is entirely different from its counterparts. For example I have no interest in the ST whatsoever. Ford has to know the market that they are going after, and that's the WRX, EVO crowd. If the focus RS isn't available they won't make money selling more ST's. They'll lose it to Subaru, VW, or another competitor with an AWD hatch with similar performance.

I would say it would be in their best interest to keep demand high, by telling people 2k, build 4k to meet 80% of the demand. Then see how many additional orders come through, and only build half of them, so that the following year people will order more, and then they do the same thing. Make less to sell more.

I don't think that they would have a demand of 5k and only build 2k on this particular vehicle. IMHO.
That was my thought, If I didn't get an RS. I was going to get either the sti, evo, or the golf R. No way did I even think of getting an ST at that point.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I agree with his opinion in relation to preferring a '17my so late in the year.

To my point, a 2016 Focus ST lists msrp at $24,370. Clean retail on a 2015 with 0 miles is $24,550. That is current month NADA, for reference, and illustrates my point. I'm not arguing with the logic by any means, but that is the way the numbers work. Values are based on the 'average' mileage of a model year and adjusted up or down when needed. This is a big part of what I do for a living, so all the data is current.

Hope that sheds some light.
Big incremental between base ST and ST3 package with moonroof and all other options.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Big incremental between base ST and ST3 package with moonroof and all other options.

YMMV,

MidCow3
That is BASE price for both years. No options or adjustments other than mileage. I don't know where the ST3 package idea came from, but that was not part of my calculations.

YMMV

Edit: The concern is a valid one. This forum has provided me with great info that has really helped in my quest for an RS. I"m trying to do my part and provide the correct information for those who also share the concern of depreciation.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
IFF (IF and only IF) Ford does the proper, correct thing and calls the first RSs as MY2017 and runs from Spring 2016 through August 2017 as MY2017 then there is no problem, but then that is a 20 month run!
Not unprecedented with Ford. I got my 2012 Focus Titanium in April of 2011.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
30 Participants
Cheapo911
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing