Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Slipped by my radar. Did you guys see this at SEMA 2015. 001-fca-sema-teasers-lpr.jpg

Is This All-Wheel Drive Dodge Challenger Concept Amazing Or Completely Unnecessary? By, Aaron Brown 11/3/15 from Jalopnik

Could Dodge be on the heels of an amazingly hoontastic winter car or are they just wasting our time? I can’t tell. But they made a Dodge Challenger with all-wheel drive, and I’m still trying to figure it out.

I get it. SEMA is about showing off crazy unthinkable designs and new bat**** aftermarket parts, but the Dodge Challenger GT AWD Concept is something else. It touches very close to reality while also remaining very far under the halo realm of concept cars.

Basically, the Dodge Challenge GT AWD Concept is a Challenger equipped with the Scat Pack 3 Performance Kit, the eight-speed automatic transmission, and a new prototype Mopar suspension kit that lowers and stiffens up the car on every corner.

Oh, and an all-wheel drive system that is probably borrowed from the AWD Dodge Charger. It’s the first AWD challenger ever. The 5.7-Hemi V8 used in this concept puts out about 450 horsepower, which should be more than enough for some proper winter hoonage. But is that the point to all of this? What is Dodge trying to accomplish with this concept car?

I’ve always looked at the Challenger as being a throwback to the good ol’ days of American muscle. If they’re thinking of throwing an all-wheel drive option at it, then maybe I’ve been wrong all these years. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t very alive back in the original days of American muscle, but I think they did just fine without AWD.

On the other hand, we’ve heard from plenty of folks who lament they can’t drive their Hellcats when the weather gets bad. AWD is an increasingly popular option on cars now. Why should muscle cars be any different?

Maybe Dodge wants it to be an ideal drag car. This could make sense because it was indeed lowered. And lowering wouldn’t really make sense for a winter car. Maybe they just want to give their buyers whatever mental confidence is delivered when they see the letters “AWD” slapped on the back of their car. I’m not sure.

Then again it probably doesn’t matter. It’s a concept after all. 1502638781562938150.jpg

I have never heard of this car yet, because of my disinterest in muscle cars. It's good to see new things and concepts, but if they really do make it. It may carve a new niche in the muscle market, which would excite a lot of people. Then I would have more interest, in muscle cars.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Slipped by my radar. Did you guys see this at SEMA 2015. View attachment 2571

Is This All-Wheel Drive Dodge Challenger Concept Amazing Or Completely Unnecessary? By, Aaron Brown 11/3/15 from Jalopnik

Could Dodge be on the heels of an amazingly hoontastic winter car or are they just wasting our time? I can’t tell. But they made a Dodge Challenger with all-wheel drive, and I’m still trying to figure it out.

I get it. SEMA is about showing off crazy unthinkable designs and new bat**** aftermarket parts, but the Dodge Challenger GT AWD Concept is something else. It touches very close to reality while also remaining very far under the halo realm of concept cars.

Basically, the Dodge Challenge GT AWD Concept is a Challenger equipped with the Scat Pack 3 Performance Kit, the eight-speed automatic transmission, and a new prototype Mopar suspension kit that lowers and stiffens up the car on every corner.

Oh, and an all-wheel drive system that is probably borrowed from the AWD Dodge Charger. It’s the first AWD challenger ever. The 5.7-Hemi V8 used in this concept puts out about 450 horsepower, which should be more than enough for some proper winter hoonage. But is that the point to all of this? What is Dodge trying to accomplish with this concept car?

I’ve always looked at the Challenger as being a throwback to the good ol’ days of American muscle. If they’re thinking of throwing an all-wheel drive option at it, then maybe I’ve been wrong all these years. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t very alive back in the original days of American muscle, but I think they did just fine without AWD.

On the other hand, we’ve heard from plenty of folks who lament they can’t drive their Hellcats when the weather gets bad. AWD is an increasingly popular option on cars now. Why should muscle cars be any different?

Maybe Dodge wants it to be an ideal drag car. This could make sense because it was indeed lowered. And lowering wouldn’t really make sense for a winter car. Maybe they just want to give their buyers whatever mental confidence is delivered when they see the letters “AWD” slapped on the back of their car. I’m not sure.

Then again it probably doesn’t matter. It’s a concept after all. View attachment 2572

I have never heard of this car yet, because of my disinterest in muscle cars. It's good to see new things and concepts, but if they really do make it. It may carve a new niche in the muscle market, which would excite a lot of people. Then I would have more interested in muscle cars.
Blasphemy for a muscle car, especially for how the challenger is the last "retro" looking muscle car on the market.
Maybe if they add it in the future to the redesign thats supposed to happen soon that allegedly is gonna make the challenger more progressive. I could see it then. I understand the benefits of AWD, but if I wanted that i'd get an evo/sti or some other awd vehicle. If I get a challenger its because I want a lurching, hulking, rear tire smoking muscle car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If done properly I think it would be fantastic. Using the engine from the scat pak with AWD. But as Boostd /\ said....the challenger is already a crappy handling tank and making it heavier won't win me over. Now if it was 3800 lbs or so with 485hp & AWD....I would be very interested!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hmmmmmm..... interesting. But they're sofa king huge. It'd be kinda like putting AWD on your house.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
8 Participants
ChadB916
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing