Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, but not to the Focus. Been a huge fan of the ST since it was first announced in 2012, and I've been following the rumors of the Focus RS as closely as all of you. I'm currently thinking about getting a Focus ST for my first car (I'm a freshman in college right now). I'm quite envious of you all getting your orders in, and I really hope I'm not going to miss my chance at the RS, but there's just no way I could afford one right now.

My question is, from the general consensus on production numbers, what is your guess for the used market on this car in approximately 5 years? I will hopefully be in a much better position then to upgrade to the RS. Will any be for sale? Will they have appreciated?

By the way, pretty cool story about the RS; I go to Georgia Tech in Atlanta, and Ford was currently on campus recruiting, so I stopped by and talked to them where they had the Daytona 24 hours winning race car prototype or something and told them I was interested in an internship in a few years and how much I like the RS and the guy goes "oh yeah well we're going to have the RS and GT350 on campus tomorrow". My jaw hit the floor, and in fact the RS was on campus the next day and I spent half the day sitting in it and drooling on it. And I've got a startup video and plenty of pictures (one of me in it too, but she said I can't post that ;)). They told me they had brought both cars down from Michigan just to recruit us GT students, pretty proud to go here.

Thanks, and if anyone in the Atlanta area wants to meet up in a year or two once you've got your RS and I've (hopefully) got my ST, hit me up.

·
Registered
171 Posts
There will be attrition dumb drivers behind the wheel and other circumstances, Number produced which no one knows for sure, My guess is yes in 5 years and 10 even better

·
Registered
286 Posts
Bin my experience, anything with wheels is not usually a good investment

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
No. Especially when parts of the new awd system fail or develops issues. That will scare a lot of people away. Not saying it will fail, but I'm still uneasy about it. The GKN engineer said it cant take more power then ford raised the power level twice after that so I hope it holds up. I'm not abusive to my cars so I think it will last. Not like I'm going to drive the crap out of it like ken block.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would think it will hold pretty close to its value, much like STI's do.

Today its roughly 40k, and in a few years I could see them being valued around 35k for low mileage ones. But, this is hard to tell since we don't know the production runs/numbers.

·
Registered
171 Posts
This will go very well for use.Now talk about the 85 XR4Ti those tanked real fast, I had 2 of them....I am only the care taker my son gets another one.

·
Registered
215 Posts
No. Especially when parts of the new awd system fail or develops issues. That will scare a lot of people away. Not saying it will fail, but I'm still uneasy about it. The GKN engineer said it cant take more power then ford raised the power level twice after that so I hope it holds up. I'm not abusive to my cars so I think it will last. Not like I'm going to drive the crap out of it like ken block.
Where did you read this at? From what I've read, they said their system would easily work on supercars and there was no power limit to it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
This will go very well for use.Now talk about the 85 XR4Ti those tanked real fast, I had 2 of them....I am only the care taker my son gets another one.

Wish ford sold the xr4ti with an intercooler and better tune from the start. If those sold like mad we would have seen the RS in the states by now.

·
Super Moderator
15,325 Posts
The Merkur could've changed the whole car scene here in the US!

·
Registered
16 Posts
CARS ARE NOT INVESTMENTS - Anyone who feels different, should certainly not be in charge of making any investment decisions.

It's like saying, ''oh, I'm going to buy this 40k car so I can sell it. YAAAAAAY!'' Depreciation, I believe is the word you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
CARS ARE NOT INVESTMENTS - Anyone who feels different, should certainly not be in charge of making any investment decisions.

It's like saying, ''oh, I'm going to buy this 40k car so I can sell it. YAAAAAAY!'' Depreciation, I believe is the word you are looking for.
I get what your saying and I agree in terms of new cars, but don't forget people make millions buying and selling cars. There are also a lot of cars out there that if you buy at the right time (pretty much anything that has a prancing horse on it) you will make out on. You can never be sure where the market will go. Everything is like that. I still know people who bought 800Sq/ft and under houses for over 300K 10 years ago and now they are so far upside down its ridiculous. Cars can make you money, even new cars if the demand is high enough and no one can get them, goes back to supply and demand.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Compared to traditional investments cars are high risk with (in most cases) low, if not negative return. Not to mention you have to store, insure and maintain the car. Certainly there's people that make money buying and selling classic cars, but I don't think they're doing it specifically for the money. I think they're doing it because they like to buy and sell cars.

With a very conservative 5% return you can turn $40,000 into $66,000 in about 10 years.
$108,723 in 20 years.
$295,521 in 40 years.
$980,957 in 40 years at a more aggressive, but still very possible 8% return.

Say it cost you $50/month to store the car. That's $6,000 over 10 years. I'll just forget maintenance for the moment. Do you think you can sell an RS for $72,000 in 10 years?

Take a look at this article. Mk1 Focus RS is going for about half of it's original MSRP.
Ford Focus RS Mk1 buying guide | Autocar

So do I think the RS will appreciate? No. Is it a good investment? Hell no.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
To OP,
No. This is still a Focus. Ford said they would build to meet demand in year two, so if demand is high enough Ford will build more.

FTFY

Obviously in 99% of cases new cars will depreciate and I believe the RS will follow suit. It takes a truly unique and limited vehicle like a 675LT or one of the hypercars to appreciate. But that comes down to factors like having to be on "the list" to get one in the first place. A business partner is quite happy with his "investment" Carrera GT right now.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It will in 20 + years when everyone is buzzing around in their electric cars. Not that I'm buying it as an investment, I'm buying it for me but , it just may be that not only is it the first RS to land on our shores, the first to offer the new GKN drive system, but an end of an era as far as the dawning of the practical usable electric car is concerned. Give me the sound of a good old internal combustion engine I say. Nothing like that visceral experience of dropping the hammer.

I look forward to driving mine to car shows in my 80's

·
Registered
237 Posts
I hate to say this so dont bite my head off. At the end of the day it's still a Ford and a Focus. My ST in another year will be worth 10 bucks if I'm lucky

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just look at the STI/EVO's, you will pay out the nose upfront. 40k it will quickly drop to 30 in the 12-18 months, and then sllllowwwly depreciate to mid 20's and hold steady.

That's barring any catastrophic negatives; doesn't take any mods, drive train made of glass, etc.

My Shelby, 50K new, dropped to 30's in the first few years and now 8/9 years later, 29.5k. (I bought at the tangent of the depreciation curve at 30k in 2011.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to clarify, in case you didn't completely read my original post, I was just asking from the perspective of a young guy who can't afford to buy one new right now and would hope to get one used in a few years. I know cars are terrible investments, and I certainly wouldn't expect a Ford Focus (of any kind) to appreciate, maybe only the rarest could hold their value (Focus RS500 for example). But reading all of this talk about limited production numbers has me concerned that they might not depreciate enough for me to afford one even in 5 years or so. So I guess my question should have been "How much do you think the RS will depreciate?"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Like others answered on here, just look at sti and evo prices. I basically anticipate the same story. Neither the sti nor the evo were limited production so they did get hit by depreciation but then held steady after a couple years. I see the rs taking a small hit to around the 30k and then depreciating slowly and or not depreciating at all after that.

Something to keep in mind though is that there are always new, better cars coming out and that your money right now is worth a lot more than your money in the future so always try to not overspend.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
18 Participants
coreyl
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing