Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi!

my engine is built 17G21 i think it means 2017-07-21, the question is, is this the model with the good gasket from the begining?
do i have the better cylinder head?

·
Registered
782 Posts
From memory you are right near the cut off point.
There are plenty of posts on here outlining the procedure to check for the correct gasket. Has nothing to do with a "better cylinder head"
The search bar is your friend!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
hi!

my engine is built 17G21 i think it means 2017-07-21, the question is, is this the model with the good gasket from the begining?
C gasket from the factory and same head. All heads are the same. Some of the very first 2016 heads were supposedly cast by Yamaha before Ford went in house but they were very very early and the heads were the same spec.
Ciao

·
Registered
573 Posts
hi!

Did you just buy this car? How many miles? The reason I ask is because if you’re the original owner why wouldn’t you have taken care of it in early 2018?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Did you just buy this car? How many miles? The reason I ask is because if you’re the original owner why wouldn’t you have taken care of it in early 2018?

Believe it or not there are people out there that just buy cars and drive them and don't live on forums like us,LOL. Or maybe not.

Ciao

·
Registered
573 Posts
Believe it or not there are people out there that just buy cars and drive them and don't live on forums like us,LOL. Or maybe not.

Ciao

I hear you, however if someone purchased an RS before the July engine build date & was not equipped with the correct gaskets, wouldn’t Ford have sent out an FSA letter to the registered owner of the vehicle, in early 2018?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

i man going to but it in 2 days and the car i far away from were i live.
The car has run 17000km the previous Owner bought in in december 2017.
Here is the add

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From memory you are right near the cut off point.
There are plenty of posts on here outlining the procedure to check for the correct gasket. Has nothing to do with a "better cylinder head"
The search bar is your friend!
i think the cut of point was 2017-07-06
So its very close thats wy im worried

but if i ask the seller to take a picture for me and the gasket is the new one Then its good?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
C gasket from the factory and same head. All heads are the same. Some of the very first 2016 heads were supposedly cast by Yamaha before Ford went in house but they were very very early and the heads were the same spec.
Ciao
so then this car dont have the Yamaha one? Was the Yamaha not as good as the Ford? So you could not get a ”better” head then this car alredy have?

in This recal in some cars they changed the Head,was it the Yamaha one?

I could read some where that you could get a crack by the engine block Were a bolt is mountes Is this something to do when the engine is bulit?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
so then this car dont have the Yamaha one? Was the Yamaha not as good as the Ford? So you could not get a ”better” head then this car alredy have?

in This recal in some cars they changed the Head,was it the Yamaha one?

I could read some where that you could get a crack by the engine block Were a bolt is mountes Is this something to do when the engine is bulit?
No it's too late in the production run to have the Yamaha head.Only the very early engines had them, like the first few months of production.There was speculation early in the head gasket issue that the Yamaha headed engines were the ones that didn't have issues but there's no proof of this that I can recall. As I've said a few times before If you had the original Head gasket and a nicely machined block and head then chances are you wouldn't have had an issue anyway. people have built custom engines and used aftermarket head gaskets of the original Ford B gasket design and had no problems. Probably because the head and deck were nicely machined. It took Ford a while to get their act together with the casting process of the new material but that was in 2016.
No you cant get a "better" head than you have. I've never even seen any way of identifying a Yamaha head either. If I had a dozen heads to look at and one was a known Yamaha unit I think I could probably work out a way to ID it but I don't.
No, cars had heads replaced due to various reason, some were corroded due to poor electrical bonding, but most I suspect were due to dealership mechanics not knowing **** from clay and how to measure head flatness and just replacing them. Personally I'd rather keep my original head and have it competently machined and re installed.
Block cracking at the #3 cylinder head stud is extremely rare in a stock engine and has no definitive cause although poor block preparation during building/rebuilding can cause this as can a faulty casting.
Of course there have been internet wallies with their half baked theories as there always is and some have gone to great lengths to explain them but there has been no definitive answer as far as stock engines go. If you are trying to screw large horsepower out of one then surprise,surprise you will reach the physical limit at some point and it may well be in that #3 cylinder area but so what the limit has be be somewhere. If you want north of 500hp from one of these things then you probably should be looking at other vehicular options.

Ciao

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No it's too late in the production run to have the Yamaha head.Only the very early engines had them, like the first few months of production.There was speculation early in the head gasket issue that the Yamaha headed engines were the ones that didn't have issues but there's no proof of this that I can recall. As I've said a few times before If you had the original Head gasket and a nicely machined block and head then chances are you wouldn't have had an issue anyway. people have built custom engines and used aftermarket head gaskets of the original Ford B gasket design and had no problems. Probably because the head and deck were nicely machined. It took Ford a while to get their act together with the casting process of the new material but that was in 2016.
No you cant get a "better" head than you have. I've never even seen any way of identifying a Yamaha head either. If I had a dozen heads to look at and one was a known Yamaha unit I think I could probably work out a way to ID it but I don't.
No, cars had heads replaced due to various reason, some were corroded due to poor electrical bonding, but most I suspect were due to dealership mechanics not knowing **** from clay and how to measure head flatness and just replacing them. Personally I'd rather keep my original head and have it competently machined and re installed.
Block cracking at the #3 cylinder head stud is extremely rare in a stock engine and has no definitive cause although poor block preparation during building/rebuilding can cause this as can a faulty casting.
Of course there have been internet wallies with their half baked theories as there always is and some have gone to great lengths to explain them but there has been no definitive answer as far as stock engines go. If you are trying to screw large horsepower out of one then surprise,surprise you will reach the physical limit at some point and it may well be in that #3 cylinder area but so what the limit has be be somewhere. If you want north of 500hp from one of these things then you probably should be looking at other vehicular options.

Ciao
Thanks for your good answer, this car has the mountune 400kit (400hp) but he dident change to the forged pistons and uprated conrods, mountune recomends to change this too but he dident do it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
C09D9824-20FA-4AA4-B19A-43CCE54F2549.jpeg
I got this picture from the seller and it has the right gasket. But it looks like a oillekage? Is the gasket bad?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
No it's typical of these engines. They often "sweat" oil here. As I said before the machined surface finishes aren't exactly great.

Ciao

·
Registered
815 Posts
Okej thansks so i dont have to worrie about cracks att the #3 cylinder Head stud?

There will be plenty of worry when you buy the vehicle.
You cannot join our club until you go through the relevant oil leak steps :).

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
There will be plenty of worry when you buy the vehicle.
You cannot join our club until you go through the relevant oil leak steps :).
Yes...it’s true...the RS is so problematic, Ford discontinued it after 3 years...pass it on!
edit: @christian84 I’m not making fun of your concerns...I‘m a born wise as*.
Personally I’d be more concerned about a 400 hp upgrade.
Done by whomsoever and how well?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
In addition to what @lucky phil said, LSPI has likely taken out a few blocks. Please make sure that you're using the correct oil (see oil thread) when doing changes.

Long story short, your car should be fine. You are pushing the limits of a stock block with your power output, but as long as you aren't going flat out all the time and have a good tune you'll be ok.

·
Registered
815 Posts
You guys should bear in mind that the guy is from Sweden and it is not 400 HP at the wheels.
We tend to stick to crank values in Europe when reporting power.
Having said that, the car is not really abused at 400 hp.
Mine is running for almost 2 years now at 420 Hp crank.
It was initially 440 hp crank.

Good fuel, don't floor it in 4-5-6 under 2200 RPM and the car will not cause any issues.
Outside of the normal ones :).

Reactions: GmpaJimj
1 - 20 of 37 Posts