Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Are you interested in an aluminum front splitter?

• Absolutely yes!

Votes: 29 90.6%
  • Nah I’m good with plastic

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
161 - 180 of 220 Posts

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Yes I think some of the issue is with the ecu box. Dropping the car off at the body shop tomorrow morning for carbon hatch install so I’m gonna see if they can take a look at it, maybe a case of beer or two and strap it to the frame puller and see if they can straighten it a bit.

It was my own fault, hit a deep puddle (that covered the headlights) and hit a massive rock. No doubt if the splitter/skidplate wasn’t there my car would have self destructed.
Good to know it actually saved your car from more serious damage!

I’m also thinking if you play around with the angle of the flange and tabs mating to the rad support at the back of the plate maybe you can get it to fit better...once you have everything straightened!

Puddle covering the headlight! Is a snorkle next on your list!!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
So the body shop was able to straighten it no problem, though I haven’t had the bumper off again to just double check everything (just picked the car up). While I’m at it I’m drilling a second set of holes to tuck the front lip guard further under the bumper by 1”. Should help visually clean it up a bit

·
Registered
611 Posts
That should help improve the breakover angle and reduce the leverage it has when it hits something too. I plan to do the same.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
That should help improve the breakover angle and reduce the leverage it has when it hits something too. I plan to do the same.
That makes a lot of sense I might have to do that too to reduce the moment arm!

Although I’ll never hit a rock this size but you never know!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just put some wide wheels and tires on, and my fears were comfirmed, I'm getting rub now at and near full lock where the rear braces push the fender liner in. That's just from looking at it on the ground without driving. I'm going to have to figure something out.

Also, I'm getting some clunking noises from the front end when going over bumps, seems to have started when I installed this skid. Everything's tight so I have no clue what it is.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Got plenty of clearance now. Yanked the **** out of both of the sides towards to front of the car, put all of my weight into it several times. That was enough for the drivers side whose brace I have ground out a little to make clearance for that ecu box or whatever that is. But the passengers wasn't having it. I relocated the brace to the top bolt, hand to grind some of it off to fit behind the plastic bumper clips. Of course at this point the brace is too short, so I got a longer bolt and sacrificed a socket that was the perfect length. Is it ghetto? Yes. Did this grinding make it a bit weaker? Probably. Does it work? Yes..

Now to figure out what is clunking... Another day

·
Registered
132 Posts
@320icar
I took pictures. But they've seem to have deleted themselves.... I think I'll have time to snap a few pics again sometime in the next couple days.
Yeah that wall of text is a bit incoherent, looks like I missed a few words in there, trying to type stuff out on a phone that keeps freaking out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
@320icar
What's the saying? If it's stupid but it works then it isn't stupid. ?
20191201_184228.jpg

20191201_175555.jpg

Like I said, ghetto rigged but whatever, socket as a spacer. Driver side I was able to get enough clearance to leave everything in the correct holes just by grabbing in the back by where the rear brace would mount and yanking the skid forward with all the force I had several times, plus the little bit of grinding of the brace around that box.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
That’s perfect. I did the same notch cutout the other day after the rock incident. It’s back from the body shop and it seems perfect now. I also installed the front lower flap with the modified holes, on my car 1” was perfect to tuck it in further

·
Registered
132 Posts
Update on the clunking.
Car is at ford. Either it was a coincidence that the noise started around when I installed this or I somehow didn't notice it before, but that is doubtful for how loud it is. In either case apparently it's my right strut, so they're getting me a pair of the new revision shocks for the front. Don't know how they'll pair with the original version rears but atleast it's getting covered under warranty.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Skid plate got its first use. Helped the car slide right on up a flatbed that wasn't low enough for a stock height rs. Blown tranny. Yay.

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
Yikes!

I hope they get that sorted for you sir.

Especially during the holidays

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Put the studded winter tire set on last Sunday in preparation for winter rally school next Saturday.

Tires are 225/45/18 Factory studded Nokian Hakka 9 on RS winter wheels.

Getting rubbing on the driver side wheel well right where I feared it would rub due to the driver side support pushing against it. Only happens under specific conditions abouy midway thru full lock way that liner is shaped it comes closer to the wheel nearing the edge and there is room to push that back, will try to hit it with the heat gun and puch it away from the wheel before the event and gain a bit of clearance.

Probably wouldnt tear the liner out but I’ll try to avoid any issue if I can before the event! 225/45/18 are .25” larger on the radius if I remember vs the stock winter Michelins that were 225/40/18 which does not help! Probably rubbed sometimes on my regulars winters (hakka 9 non-studded) but I guess I never would have heard it being they are smooth vs the studded ones grinding slowly through the plastic!

@320icar I remember you had rubbing at some point and also mentionned you would try the heat gun to gain some clearance, did you actually try it and did it work? Were you able to shape it into a better shape once hot enough and did it keep its new shape afterwards? Any feedback before I actually do this (probably on Friday) is appreciated!! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
611 Posts
That’s not YOLO, that’s You Only Clean Out 20lbs of Gravel And Mud From Your Front Bumper Area Every Other Drive ?.

Maybe put in a panel behind the support if you think that’s the best approach. Coroplast sheet that you can buy at any hobby or craft store works pretty well for that sort of thing.

·
Registered
611 Posts
@Barroux: Be careful with it. The RS loves to rip the front fender liners out with moderate rubbing. Those are the same size tires I use for RallyCross and I’ve ripped mine out a couple times. If you have mud flaps that bolt into the fender, such as RallyArmor, that then pulls at the fender and bends/dents it at the bottom. Nothing that a good PDR guy can’t take care of, but something to be aware of. You don’t want any rubbing at the front of the fender liners.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
That’s not YOLO, that’s You Only Clean Out 20lbs of Gravel And Mud From Your Front Bumper Area Every Other Drive ?.

Maybe put in a panel behind the support if you think that’s the best approach. Coroplast sheet that you can buy at any hobby or craft store works pretty well for that sort of thing.
already done, i just didn't have any photos of it

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I just yolo’d and cut apart the fender liner
[/QUOTE]
@Barroux: Be careful with it. The RS loves to rip the front fender liners out with moderate rubbing. Those are the same size tires I use for RallyCross and I’ve ripped mine out a couple times. If you have mud flaps that bolt into the fender, such as RallyArmor, that then pulls at the fender and bends/dents it at the bottom. Nothing that a good PDR guy can’t take care of, but something to be aware of. You don’t want any rubbing at the front of the fender liners.
Thanks for your input! I’ll make sure to gain some clearance before the event to avoid ripping it off as much as possible!

It’s very local and minor in my case I hope not to have to trim any of it but that’s another option I could consider!

161 - 180 of 220 Posts