Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Are you interested in an aluminum front splitter?

• Absolutely yes!

Votes: 29 90.6%
  • Nah I’m good with plastic

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
121 - 140 of 220 Posts

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
12) If you want to secure the bottom of the bumper cover to the skidplate, here’s how I made this on my car:
  • Noticed the 5 holes Dorian included in the skidplate at the fwd edge? On my car 3 out of 5 did not line up perfectly with the bumper cover holes. Enlarge/slot holes in skidplate as required to obtain proper alignment with bumper cover holes.
  • I made cardboard templates for blind nut retainers that would be fitted inside the bumper cover, on the upper side of the lower flange. Then transferred them to some leftover aluminum sheet I had and fitted blind nuts in line with the bumper cover holes. This is the only picture I took of the retainers with the blind nuts installed. I ended up trimming the side retainers flush with the bumper cover flange edge to avoid clashing between the retainer and the side protector forward mounting bolt.
  • Secure the retainer to the bumper lower flange using high strength double sided tape. This should be enough to prevent it from rotating when breaking the bolts loose during removal. I did not tighten these much anyway as this was not necessary really. I could have riveted them to the bumper cover flange too, but did not really want to do anything irreversible to the bumper cover yet.
  • I also transferred the three holes mating to the bumper cover through the center protector so I can still use the 3 center bolts mating to the bumper cover when the protector is installed. Otherwise the protector would have covered those holes in the center section of the skidplate.
  • Obviously all the fitting part should be done prior to re-installing the bumper cover permanently. I marked the holes position to be modified at the same time I was adjusting the skidplate height.
  • My blind nuts were 1/4-20, after bumper cover re-installation I fitted 1/4-20 bolts through the plate and the bumper cover lower flange to secure everything together. I thought I would need a spacer in the middle section due to the way the bumper cover is slightly higher in the middle, but the gap was so small (maybe 1/8" on the sides of the middle section, there was actually no gap at the centerline) and required so little force to be closed that I just tightened the bolts until the gap closed.

This is how I'll be running mine all the time, with the center protector on. I'll install the sides when I'll go ice driving. I wish I took a picture from the top looking down at the center protector showing how it follows the stock contours well. Will update later if I do take that picture one day!

P.S.: Had to split it in three posts due to the limitation of posting 10 pictures max. per post! Good think I drafter all that in Word first all I had to do was to copy/paste it and drag and drop the pictures. Resized them to a smaller size to be able to load them on the site and do it faster too. Hope resolution is good enough for the purpose of helping with the install process!

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Took some pictures out of my garage this morning when I went to the office for some OT.

I thought about the picture looking down this time! Too bad the iphone didnt like the sun in the back the pictures from a distance are not so good!

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Got mine installed this weekend while it was snowing outside. It's awesome. Feeling much more prepared for winter this year. After two winters even my epoxied OEM tray was starting to fall apart. Thanks to @Barroux for the nice write up as it was helpful.

I got the year-'round version of the undertray and then just used aluminum foil tape to block off the additional vents to match the winter version.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thanks for all the pics and especially to @Barroux for the walkthrough!

Just curious if there will be any NB or SB or SG cars rocking this skidplate. Mine arrives this week for my FW RS and all of the pics so far are on FW as well.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts

Just curious if there will be any NB or SB or SG cars rocking this skidplate. Mine arrives this week for my FW RS and all of the pics so far are on FW as well.
NB here, I think mine was in the same order as yours since mine will be coming this week as well. Unfortunately, won't have time to do the install until much later in the month due to work and weekend family plans, but will most definitely take pics when I do.

·
Registered
132 Posts

NB checking in, got the skid plate delivered last week, but probably won't have the time to put it on till this weekend at the earliest.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
My front undertray just joined the “undertray wall of fame/shame”!!

Also took some other pictures without the sun in the back!

Attachments

·
Registered
611 Posts
Mine shipped today.

For those who have installed it, the big test is if it's strong enough to jack the car up with it, particularly at the leading edge and corners.That will tell us something about the design's capability of withstanding an impact. Has anyone tried it yet?

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
For those who have installed it, the big test is if it's strong enough to jack the car up with it, particularly at the leading edge and corners.That will tell us something about the design's capability of withstanding an impact. Has anyone tried it yet?
Judging by the design and how its supported, I don't think it will be strong enough to be jacked from there. Not saying that the skid plate won't be able to take any impacts, just that the rad support it self isn't a designated jacking point in the first place.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Mine shipped today.

I did use the jack right under the crash beam supports to raise the plate to the desired height and it did start rising the car a bit (only taking some load off the front suspension pretty much, not really taking the whole weight). Like others mentionned I would not risk it. I took the opportunity to have a closer look at the stock rad support to which both the front and aft tray are mounted and it’s surprisingly flimsy!

I like the added protection but it wont jack the car, or at least I wont use it for that purpose.

The side attachments reuse the fender bolt which is quite small so under impact coming from below on the sides I dont know what will happen of that bolt!

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Has anyone tested this with ADF undertray?

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
The ADF undertray seems to have its front edge extended fwd vs the mounting holes on the rad support. As long as it does not extend fwd far enough to contact the first bent flange fwd of the rad support on the DMGFab front skid it should fit I guess! Otherwise this might require some trimming!

Also the sides “wings” at the fwd end of the ADF piece seem a bit different than the stock tray and made to fit closely with the stock front tray, this might be another area to watch for when fitted along with the DMGFab front tray.

I need to set an appointment for my yearly Krown treatment soon, I’ll take some pictures of the underside in those areas to help identify any possible issues until someone confirms based on an actual installation.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The ADF undertray seems to have its front edge extended fwd vs the mounting holes on the rad support. As long as it does not extend fwd far enough to contact the first bent flange fwd of the rad support on the DMGFab front skid it should fit I guess! Otherwise this might require some trimming!

Also the sides “wings” at the fwd end of the ADF piece seem a bit different than the stock tray and made to fit closely with the stock front tray, this might be another area to watch for when fitted along with the DMGFab front tray.

I need to set an appointment for my yearly Krown treatment soon, I’ll take some pictures of the underside in those areas to help identify any possible issues until someone confirms based on an actual installation.
This is great information thank you!, I'll order up the DMG front plate in a month or so and report back.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Add me to the installed club. Your write up was helpful @Barroux
My fender liners also won't tuck, not even close, I got after them with some heat so they atleast follow the wheel well instead of sticking into it. The driver side rear brace pushed up against that ecu? box a little too much for my taste so I took a bit of metal off of the brace with a grinder. A couple spots required some persuasion with a hammer to make it line up with my car, but Dorian's welds held up to me beating on it and bending it. Passenger side guard doesn't really stick out at all, is pretty much touching the paint, I may slot that side so I can push it out some, driver side is fine. Holes do not line up for attaching the bottom of the bumper cover to the plate, but I don't really feel it is even necessary to do so.

Install took a while, since I had to break out the plastic welder to fix a couple things that were broke on the bumper cover and shrouding.

All in, I'm quite pleased with the piece, should provide some nice protection and piece of mind with as low as this car sits....

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
For those of who you install, if you can remember: why did we remove the headlights to take off the bumper. Are they physically blocking the bumper from sliding out? Or is it just because they sat on top of the large clips that the bumper slots in to

Looking at converting to a quick release front bumper. Would be nice if I could leave the headlights in

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
For those of who you install, if you can remember: why did we remove the headlights to take off the bumper. Are they physically blocking the bumper from sliding out? Or is it just because they sat on top of the large clips that the bumper slots in to

Looking at converting to a quick release front bumper. Would be nice if I could leave the headlights in
Bodyshop took mine off without removing the headlights but broke the passenger side large black clip off the bumper in the process.

Seems you dont need to remove the headlights if you dont care too much about those large clips. Bumper is still solid on the passenger side without it.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Got mine yesterday, but unfortunately, the gorillas at Purolator/UPS beat the crap out of it. The center plate was bent and It looks like the chasis mounting plate appears to have slightly been bent aswell. To those who have had theirs, are the uprights supposed to be square? Do they slightly flare inwards like mine?

I've notified Dorian and he has been very helpful. Bummer tho, I had set some time aside this weekend to do the install.

121 - 140 of 220 Posts