Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Are you interested in an aluminum front splitter?

• Absolutely yes!

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Nah I’m good with plastic

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
121 - 123 of 123 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
12) If you want to secure the bottom of the bumper cover to the skidplate, here’s how I made this on my car:
  • Noticed the 5 holes Dorian included in the skidplate at the fwd edge? On my car 3 out of 5 did not line up perfectly with the bumper cover holes. Enlarge/slot holes in skidplate as required to obtain proper alignment with bumper cover holes.
  • I made cardboard templates for blind nut retainers that would be fitted inside the bumper cover, on the upper side of the lower flange. Then transferred them to some leftover aluminum sheet I had and fitted blind nuts in line with the bumper cover holes. This is the only picture I took of the retainers with the blind nuts installed. I ended up trimming the side retainers flush with the bumper cover flange edge to avoid clashing between the retainer and the side protector forward mounting bolt.
  • Secure the retainer to the bumper lower flange using high strength double sided tape. This should be enough to prevent it from rotating when breaking the bolts loose during removal. I did not tighten these much anyway as this was not necessary really. I could have riveted them to the bumper cover flange too, but did not really want to do anything irreversible to the bumper cover yet.
  • I also transferred the three holes mating to the bumper cover through the center protector so I can still use the 3 center bolts mating to the bumper cover when the protector is installed. Otherwise the protector would have covered those holes in the center section of the skidplate.
  • Obviously all the fitting part should be done prior to re-installing the bumper cover permanently. I marked the holes position to be modified at the same time I was adjusting the skidplate height.
  • My blind nuts were 1/4-20, after bumper cover re-installation I fitted 1/4-20 bolts through the plate and the bumper cover lower flange to secure everything together. I thought I would need a spacer in the middle section due to the way the bumper cover is slightly higher in the middle, but the gap was so small (maybe 1/8" on the sides of the middle section, there was actually no gap at the centerline) and required so little force to be closed that I just tightened the bolts until the gap closed.

This is how I'll be running mine all the time, with the center protector on. I'll install the sides when I'll go ice driving. I wish I took a picture from the top looking down at the center protector showing how it follows the stock contours well. Will update later if I do take that picture one day!

P.S.: Had to split it in three posts due to the limitation of posting 10 pictures max. per post! Good think I drafter all that in Word first all I had to do was to copy/paste it and drag and drop the pictures. Resized them to a smaller size to be able to load them on the site and do it faster too. Hope resolution is good enough for the purpose of helping with the install process!

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Took some pictures out of my garage this morning when I went to the office for some OT.

I thought about the picture looking down this time! Too bad the iphone didnt like the sun in the back the pictures from a distance are not so good!

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Got mine installed this weekend while it was snowing outside. It's awesome. Feeling much more prepared for winter this year. After two winters even my epoxied OEM tray was starting to fall apart. Thanks to @Barroux for the nice write up as it was helpful.

I got the year-'round version of the undertray and then just used aluminum foil tape to block off the additional vents to match the winter version.

121 - 123 of 123 Posts