Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Are you interested in an aluminum front splitter?

• Absolutely yes!

Votes: 28 90.3%
  • Nah I’m good with plastic

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
201 - 210 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Looks like they stuck you in the Subaru class by accident
That's basically any rallycross/ice racing in the country lol. When I was doing rallycross, 2WD class would be 80% 2.5RSs, 4WD class would be 90% WRXs/STI and 4WD modified would be...you guessed it! Modified WRX/STIs!

Ahah yeah apart from a V8 swapped Porsche I was the only other non-Subaru car in the group!

The school uses WRX and 2.5RS, other participants that used their own cars mostly used WRX also as you noticed!

The swapped Porsche was the guy’s winter beater! Even had fitted a hydraulic handbrake with dedicated rear calipers! He runs a V8 swapped Cayman in the summer!
I don't know this guy, but I feel that we would get along very well lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update on DD use. I bought the front skid plate as I do a large amount of winter highway driving for work and spend my weekends on somewhat unmaintained, unpaved backroads. We have had a few decent sized snow storms which resulted in accumulation on the road and snow/ice chunks from tractor trailers lying in wait for the front lip of my car. Coming home this past weekend one such ice chunk found the mark. Resulting in a cockeyed skid plate and broken front bumper cover. I believe the skidplate has been pushed back on the drivers side and pulled forward on the passenger side. Completely cracking the drivers side mount and leaving the passenger side holding on for dear life. Haven't had the opportunity to take measurements to verify my suspicions but will have to dig into this weekend as I now have rubbing during turning.

Focus 1.jpg

Guess it is time to look at new bumper covers, and what it is going to take to straighten this thing back out. I know my application of this skidplate is not really what it was intended for, but was hoping it would fare better.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Ouch dude. Yeah my bumpers all broken like that too. I just consider it more quick release now.

Out of curiosity are you lowered or OEM height? I hit some good chunks of ice on the way up to ice racing but they didn’t act like cement

·
Registered
4 Posts
The car is lowered on mountune black springs. I did get through last winter with the stock front skid plate. Definitely hit a couple last year too, but it was at stock height. May be the difference. Gotta love living in a place with winter weather 6 months of the year.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Skidplate probably saved my bumper on the driver side last Sunday at the last ice driving event of the year! Had not noticed until today but that snowbank I hit sideways pretty hard seems to have pushed the very edge of the plate up a bit where the side protector attaches to and now bows the cover a bit outwards by pushing it up very lightly. Pretty sure I would have lost the whole side near the wheel had I not had the skidplate and side protectors installed. The side protector must have cut through the hard packed snow and been rigid enough to prevent fatal flex to the bumper cover!

I guess my eye was always attracted to my driver side front door until now which will need a skilled dent repair guy to fix, hopefully without paint! Also ripped my flowdesign skirt extension off! Hit the target they had painted at the end of the straight quite hard and had snow packed up to my side mirror...

I was on the waiting list for that event and been lazy on saturday, started prepping late on saturday in case someone cancelled thinking there was no way someone wouldnt show up to such a great event! With the time change and all I had not slept enough and just made a stupid attention mistake at the last lap of the first session!

Luckily I was able to put the car sideways to lose more speed and hit the bank with more surface area! Cant imagine the damage it would have done hitting it straight on, there’s just so much the plate could have done if that had happened! Side skirt should be salvageable I havent looked into it much yet, bumper will fall right back into place when I bend the edge of the skidplate back (will have to take the bumper off since it’s on the very edge and there’s not enough exposed material to pry on with the cover in position so that will wait until winter is over). Just need to find a good dent repair guy and hope it’s not cheaper to buy a door from a donor car...would rather have them repair it than messing with replacement parts.

Anyways, glad I had the plate and confirmed what I always thought to be most important thing before an event...have a good night sleep!

On a positive note, event was great otherwise, they built a 4.3km long track with enough turns of every type I stopped counting, weather was ideal, few degrees below freezing to begin up to a little over freezing in the afternoon to soften the ice. We had five 20+ min sessions, averaged 4/5 laps per session, last session was in the other direction which was fun too. Car performed flawlessly and that mistake I made was the only one for the day. It was so much fun I’m not really mad about the damage...gotta pay to play and I guess I was in need of reinforcing a few lessons (good sleep, easy on last laps, stay focused)!

One last thing, if you run the side protector make sure to grind the welds down, they were rough on mine and chaffed on the bumper cover a bit over the two months I kept them on between ice driving events.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Oh and they had a crew with drones and huge cameras covering the event, hoping they have some footage of the RS in action at some point. I didnt bother taking pictures and filming anything for that reason. Also decided I would minimize distractions after that first session which didnt end too well.

Do we have an ice driving thread on the forum? I feel I’m posting about this event at the wrong place!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
I think I made a thread, or someone else already did. Seems like there are enough of us now.

my wife and I are moving so I had to bail on the event last weekend. Broke my heart...

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I’ll make sure to find it if there is any good picture/video showing the RS and stop polluting this thread!

Good thing about having real seasons change here is there will be another winter next year to have fun again! Hope you didnt move too far away from where these events take place though!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Plus one on the skid plate being great for ice driving events. We just had one last month, last of the year, with a 1.6mi road course, skid pad, and oval with slalom. A great time in the RS. Love this car in winter.

201 - 210 of 210 Posts