Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Are you interested in an aluminum front splitter?

• Absolutely yes!

Votes: 29 90.6%
  • Nah I’m good with plastic

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
181 - 200 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
It seems pretty clear that we need a better design for the supports on this thing. I haven’t fitted mine yet, largely because I haven’t had time to work out a better mounting method. As it sits right now it looks like it will cause more problems than it will help for my use. We need support brackets that go back and up, avoiding the fender liners and ECU case altogether.

·
Registered
445 Posts
It seems pretty clear that we need a better design for the supports on this thing. I haven’t fitted mine yet, largely because I haven’t had time to work out a better mounting method. As it sits right now it looks like it will cause more problems than it will help for my use. We need support brackets that go back and up, avoiding the fender liners and ECU case altogether.
I didn't realize it was this bad when I bought mine either, I have it all sitting in boxes as well and would really like to use it to protect my car...I'm proficient with Fusion 360, so I can get something done about this when I get a chance to install, get measurements, and build some cad files; that will solve the issues at hand and will be structurally optimized. I've also got access to plenty of industrial manufacturing where I am, so if we need to get a group buy together I would be down.

·
Registered
613 Posts
In the end we’ll probably end up with a small version of the subframe that Team O’Neil made for theirs. Tubular that went up to the frame rails.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I didn't realize it was this bad when I bought mine either, I have it all sitting in boxes as well and would really like to use it to protect my car...I'm proficient with Fusion 360, so I can get something done about this when I get a chance to install, get measurements, and build some cad files; that will solve the issues at hand and will be structurally optimized. I've also got access to plenty of industrial manufacturing where I am, so if we need to get a group buy together I would be down.
I'm kindof in the same boat... I've test fitted it but haven't had time to do the modifications I feel I needed to do to get it to fit right, so all the parts have been sitting in boxes in my garage. I feel like unless I can get this to fit right, I'm better off doing my summer rallyx with my ripped up front undertray vs the risk of damaging something else with this on.

Keep us posted on what you find on the subframe design!

·
Registered
445 Posts
In the end we’ll probably end up with a small version of the subframe that Team O’Neil made for theirs. Tubular that went up to the frame rails.
Tubular is exactly what route I was thinking it would be very strong and with a gusset to prevent underside deflection it wouldn't likely bend the tube onto itself without some major crash...should be a rather simple part to produce and likely the only thing that will be special is the bent tubing and gusset (if it needs to be cut with a cnc to avoid the fender/ecu box), otherwise it should just be simple cut stock plate ends. So maybe like 5 parts to weld together total in reality, overall cost should be very reasonable if we get several orders, plus I will just throw the cad files up somewhere so it can be downloaded freely and produced locally if desired.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Will there be room for a tube structure? The problems we’re seeing are due to a lack of clearance, and the aluminum parts are pretty thin.
No doubt a tube structure would be stronger but I imagine it would require further cutting and drilling of the car to install.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Remember I’m running 215/65r16 which works out to be 7” larger than factory. Stock wheels are 25” diameter, these are 27” IIRC

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have no problems with rub with either stock wheels or et47 19x9 265/30/19 after some minor modifications. In fact if anything I probably massaged more clearance out of it than it had stock.

·
Registered
613 Posts
But you've also made it weaker from an impact perspective too, right?

A tubular structure, at least a Team O style one, goes up to the frame rails, not to the radiator support. So it's traveling in a different space.

·
Registered
166 Posts
But you've also made it weaker from an impact perspective too, right?

A tubular structure, at least a Team O style one, goes up to the frame rails, not to the radiator support. So it's traveling in a different space.
Yes I suppose it is weaker, and that is a valid concern for some of yall, but for me I'm not worried about it. I doubt it's that much weaker, and hell if I hit something that hard I probably rather the support bend than transfer all of that force to where it's mounted. How it currently is is fine for my use, but I could see the appeal of what you're talking about, I just don't enjoy my car quite as violently as some of yall.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
I was about to comment in a similar way! The team o neil design was much more involved and aimed at much more intense use! And likely costs many times what our plates cost.

Seing how the plate likely saved some major damage to @320icar when he hit that rock is planty strong for what I intend to use it for! Plus he was able to bend it back into shape and still use it afterwards.

But I understand some have some more advanced/intense use of this car than I do and for the price I cant complain, I guess it’s a good starting point for those wanting more.

I wouldnt thrust the fender bolt to hold much force either. A redesigned side support would have to make use of a better mounting point too to avoid shearing that bolt. That’s the only part of that design I’m worried about if I ever hit to the side rather than dead center!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Anyone who wants to hit their car ANY harder than I did is going to blow their air bags. I’m shocked it didn’t for me. The skidplate protected me and was bent back into shape. I see no reason to need anything beefier unless your a stage rally roll caged car

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Agreed with @Barroux and @320icar the "extreme" case for me would be bottoming out on some ruts during a rallyx session, so I'm not so much concerned in the overall strength of the plate or the mounts. I'm more concerned on the overall fit of the thing for daily livability ie I don't want things rubbing, bulging or flopping around.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Agreed with @Barroux and @320icar the "extreme" case for me would be bottoming out on some ruts during a rallyx session, so I'm not so much concerned in the overall strength of the plate or the mounts. I'm more concerned on the overall fit of the thing for daily livability ie I don't want things rubbing, bulging or flopping around.
In my experience that is exactly where you will have a problem. It's a chain of events thing. First, bottoming the front causes the front bumper to flex upwards and backwards, which immediately cracks the stock ($400) front undertray if you still have it fitted, and the bumper pushes the wheel liners back and they touch the wheel, which then rips them out violently, which pulls the mounting brackets for the mud flaps which are bolted through the back of the fender, causing the metal fender to be bent inwards, and typically the fender liner then rips off, dragging all along the outer edge of the fender as it goes, and often leaving the mud flap's metal bracket gouging into the tire. Generally ending your run, which in a competitive event ends your weekend.

The point of something like this, at least for my use for RallyCross, is to stop this from happening - so we need the mounts to be such that they don't bend backwards like they did in 320's hit. We also don't want the plate or mounts to hang lower or create a point that hits earlier than the stock items would, or that could bend back and create bigger problems/affect other parts of the car.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Again, This was not a rallycross incident. This was hitting a massive rock hidden under a puddle deep enough to cover the headlights, and I’m lifted 3” over stock. The current design is perfectly acceptable for anyone in this website.

If you don’t think so, get your cage builder to custom design you one and relax a bit in this thread

·
Registered
613 Posts
You seem to think that your use is more extreme than anyone else. Your 3" lift means that it's a 3" shorter obstacle that will give us the same hit. When you hit something in the middle of nowhere you're inconvenienced for a bit. In my case it could mean losing a National Championship that I and my family have invested considerable amounts of time and money pursuing over the course of an entire season.

The current design is NOT acceptable for anyone who cannot have any rubbing of the fender liners. @jefferysanders offered to design something better for some of us. We're discussing that improvement. I'm sorry if that upsets you.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Last week just before rally school I was able to heat the liner enough to flatten it to a different shape where it was rubbing.

But then I got rubbing somewhere else when turning right this time, very light rubbing on the very outside edge/stud of the driver side tire.

Didnt cause any issue during the day, even stopped hearing it at some point so it probably grinded it a bit until it cleared! If anyone comes up with a better design for the side support I would consider pulling the bumper back off to swap those and gain back the clearance though.

Didnt test the skidplate either as I stayed on track all day but I felt safe having it in case I went off track.

Need to put a video together of all the exercices we did and the end of day lapping sessions we got. Going back on Feb.23rd for a full lapping day!

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
Last week just before rally school I was able to heat the liner enough to flatten it to a different shape where it was rubbing.

But then I got rubbing somewhere else when turning right this time, very light rubbing on the very outside edge/stud of the driver side tire.

Didnt cause any issue during the day, even stopped hearing it at some point so it probably grinded it a bit until it cleared! If anyone comes up with a better design for the side support I would consider pulling the bumper back off to swap those and gain back the clearance though.

Didnt test the skidplate either as I stayed on track all day but I felt safe having it in case I went off track.

Need to put a video together of all the exercices we did and the end of day lapping sessions we got. Going back on Feb.23rd for a full lapping day!
Looks like they stuck you in the Subaru class by accident

Reactions: BigFatFlip

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Looks like they stuck you in the Subaru class by accident
Ahah yeah apart from a V8 swapped Porsche I was the only other non-Subaru car in the group!

The school uses WRX and 2.5RS, other participants that used their own cars mostly used WRX also as you noticed!

The swapped Porsche was the guy’s winter beater! Even had fitted a hydraulic handbrake with dedicated rear calipers! He runs a V8 swapped Cayman in the summer!

Attachments

181 - 200 of 220 Posts