Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Are you interested in an aluminum front splitter?

• Absolutely yes!

Votes: 37 88.1%
  • Nah I’m good with plastic

Votes: 5 11.9%

DMG FAB aluminum splitter group buy

45K views 220 replies 27 participants last post by  mckenzietyler81 
#1 ·
I have contacted Dorian @ DMG FAB about the potential of an aluminum front splitter. Most of you already know the name from the most popular aluminum undertray for the RS. Like many on here I have ordered the winter edition undertray.

Dorian has already made an aluminum front splitter/front undertray to replace the factory plastic underneath the front bumper. Research and development has been done and templates have been made, but he was unsure of the demand from the community to do a full production run.

- would want a minimum 10 people to do the group buy / first production run
- multi piece design supported by crash bar and lower road support
- designed more towards rally / rough road protection over track aero
- similar to the team O’Neil front skidplate design
- the more people we can get the cheaper it will be
- estimated around $300cad plus shipping
- if this group buy goes well, it will go to full production and be added to the Raptor Racing catalogue

If interested, please email Dorian directly at dgiles@allwynnsteel.com with the subject about a front splitter group buy and he can keep tabs on the Amount of demand.

Just some photos of his previous skidplates and potential look. And a photo of my plastic piece that ripped out in one mud puddle...

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm interested in the rally/protection approach and glad to hear it would be supported beyond just attaching to the plastic bumper. Something that can take the brunt of an ice chunk in the middle of the road at 70 mph would be real nice. If it mated up nicely to his skid plate I might consider finally splurging for both items and replacing my epoxied OEM tray.

#5 ·
Thanks for getting this started @320icar I went ahead and e-mailed Dorian of my interest. I also told him that I wasn't too crazy of the original design with all the overhangs and would prefer the shorter/neater design of the Team O'Neal with the small front section that wraps around the front lip. I too would be interested in a package deal with his summer skid plate if he were to offer it.

#10 ·
Very interested. Been trying to buy this since sometime last year. Trying to give my money to the first to market, seems like this has been perpetually just one month out. Then he got it made with seemingly no intent of a run, just local installs and I was crushed. My stock plastic piece is broke, only half of it is on the car, and that means my undertray isnt on the car because it has nothing to mount to, also my fender liner is currently rigged on one side.

Interested in this for the front skid properties, not splitter, though I'd take it either way. In fact I probably wouldn't of clicked on this thread if I didn't already know what this was, mentioning splitter/front skid in the title might get a couple more clicks.

I'd also be down for a bundle to get fully protected.

#12 ·
@d1rt I thought I made it pretty clear in my first post that it is rally inspired, not track inspired and won’t flare out like a track splitter

As for all of you wanting a combo, just do what I did. Bought from raptor racing with cheap ass shipping and email Dorian for the splitter separate. No big deal and don’t expect tones of saving

#18 ·
Whatever it’s called, I’m highly interested. Just emailed Dorian to show my interest for the rally type design.

I hope he makes it so it covers as much of the bumper bottom edge as possible, not just the middle but the corners too, without sacrificing ground clearance as much as possible. The ice driving school near me has a nice custom built piece for their wrx school cars that provide the perfect protection for ice driving, I understand it might be too much for most of us but that’s why I’m hoping his design somehow covers the corners some and not just the center like the team o’neil plate. His stuff is good so I’ll take whatever he comes up with especially with the crash bar mounting which I think woukd help save the bumper cover if I hit a frozen snowbank at winter rally school. A little bit of bent flange beyond the bumper edges on the corners would be awesome, like the center on the team o’neil but extended further out. Probably not as easily made though (hence mote expensive) since that’s likely requiring more than one straight bend up...

Not so familiar with groups buys...but is it more like gauging interest for him since he’s not going to sell directly? Would he take a deposit to get us on a list so we get on the first ship set? I’m willing to provide a deposit if he needs one to make sure we are serious about getting one.

Obviously if he cant deliver before let’s say mid-january this would not come in time to start ice driving school. And not be as interesting...

Attached pictures of the rally school plates. It’s hard to see against their black bumper covers but if you zoom in you’ll see it, it’s a flat plate with a approx. 3in welded vertical flange that covers the whole edge of the bumper from the wheel well edges.

Attachments

#19 ·
@Barroux as per the email i got, Dorian said as long as around 10 people email him showing serious interest, he will then take payment (probably pay-pal or e-transfer, whatever i trust him) and make the limited run. he will send one out as its done, and start on the next. assuming enough people email him, he said he can start soon and hopefully begin sending them out after the summer.

and if this group buy works out and the community shows enough interest, he is more than willing to add it to the Raptor Racing catalogue and make it readily available like the skidplates. either way im also very excited to see where this goes!

#21 ·
Yeah I was just about to say f it, give up, break down and just buy the stupid plastic stock piece. I've easily seen 10 people interested in this across several threads since I heard about this sometime last year. They need to get in here and start emailing, where yall at, I'm dyin over here with money burning a hole in my wallet.

#23 ·
Emailed him as well. I'm on board even though my fiberglass resin coated undertray is holding up great, enhanced protection from those sometimes unavoidable objects on the road is very desirable!

I've absolutely hammered some big chunks of ice off of transport trucks and had to straddle the odd road kill but no damage, so far...

The RS is so so freakin low that it's only a matter of time before something fubar's my front lip or "enhanced rat fur" undertray.

#27 ·
According to the first post it would be about 300$ (cad) plus shipping. Shipping for his skidplates was pretty cheap too so shipping should not kill the deal to the US, especially with the current us/cad rate!

“ estimated around $300cad plus shipping”

He’s going to produce the rally style version (team o’neil inspired) according to this thread which is fine with me as it’s what I’m looking for.

#28 ·
I just want to make sure since there was a couple of shots of the spliter.

No deal on a bundle since I still need to get a replacement for the rat fur down there.

#31 · (Edited)
I’m interested, but i would have to see a blueprint, prototype, or mock-up before I could fully commit to the group buy.
I think that's implied. I was actually his guinea pig for the "summer" version a few years ago. I asked if he can integrate some of the NACA ducting into his design (originally only had slots ie "winter" version) since I'm in a location that hardly sees any snow but definitely hot weather. We went back and forth on his designs for a couple of e-mails until I gave him the go-ahead to fabricate (granted, I paid upfront before hand). I think this thread is more to gauge interest and show him that it is worth it to go thru the design and that there is enough demand for him to go thru the trouble.

#32 ·
I trust him enough that I’m not too worried about wanting blueprints and schematics etc. As it sits right now he seems to be the only one interested making a rally inspired front splitter/undertray. And if all his other very happy customers are an indication, I would trust a first run

#34 ·
Are you going to take the new large one piece undertray off and now the bumper for
Oil changes etc?

At this point I have done that bumper off in the dark with wheels on but it’s not fun. For an oil change? By any tech?

O’Neil yes race prep but not real user friendly?

Fairly easy to mount any tray with bumper off.

To get any tray to drop without the bumper off your going to need to fab up a plan for proper rivnut mounting.

I did the neutron offering to a flow design lip and it took me a few iterations and bumper off more times than I’d like.

#35 ·
Huh? This isn't one piece all the way to the back of your car, this replaces the factory plastic piece in front of the felt, you don't take that off for an oil change.. And his skid behind that would be in the way of an oil change comes off without dropping the bumper, or is avaliable with access doors if you prefer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.