Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not the first person to do this mod, but I couldn't find any instructions on how to do it. So here's my contribution. Yes you can install a Homelink garage door opener in the sunvisor that came with your FoRS. The sunvisor is basically a hollow plastic shell covered in vinyl fabric. Therefore, you can slip a Homelink transmitter into the shell and power it through the vanity light/mirror assembly.

DIFFICULTY: Very easy

TOOLS NEEDED:
a Homelink transmitter like this one.
trim tool or flat tip screwdriver
razor blade
drill
Dremel (optional)
solder gun (optional)

First off, I recommend that you do NOT remove your sunvisor from your vehicle. I admit that removing it would make this process easier, but the visor's power wires are glued to the top side of the headliner ( including the connector). I found that it was easier to do the mod in the vehicle than to deal with this removal process.

You're going to need to cut a hole into the 'bottom' side of your visor large enough to insert the transmitter, but small enough to be covered be the control panel.

I spent too much time selecting the right spot to install the transmitter that wouldn't interfere with the vanity mirror. Here's my final selection. The exact location I chose is irrelevant. You'll soon see why.

LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE. Well sugar honey iced tea! There's already a punchout molded into the visor frame. Some bean counter must have removed the transitter from the assembly to save $$$. Unfortunately, I already cut a hole in the vinyl at the wrong location. Oh well, nothing a little dremeling won't fix.

Here's the location of the punchout that you should be targeting. You should be able feel it through the vinyl fabric, but its not easy.

Here's the punchout removed.

Now flip the visor down and remove the vanity mirror assembly. There are six (6) molded clips holding the visor in place.

In order to connect the transmitter wires to the vanity mirror light, I drilled a small hole in the plastic between the two (2) sub-assemblies.

Snake the wires through the punchout and the hole you just drilled, then fit the Homelink transmitter through the punchout into the hollow cavity of the visor. I was pretty rough on the vinyl fabric. Hopefully yours will look better.

Now snap the Homelink finish panel into place. It covered the tattered edges of the vinyl pretty well, but you can still see a depression where the punchout sits in front of my dremeled out hole. Hopefully your finished product will be even cleaner. Either way, I'm happy with my results.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
But wait. We're not done yet. Flip your visor back down and connect the Homelink wires to the vanity mirror assembly. For mine, I connected brown to black and brown/red to red. Your mileage may vary. I was also fortunate to have one connector on my brown wire so I only had to solder the brown/red wire.

Now just pop the mirror assembly back into place and you ready to program your new Homelink garage door opener!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Great mod! We need more people taking the initiative like this. Thanks for the great writeup and lessons learned.

FYSA, the door opener you linked to won't work with new garage door openers (post-2012). You'd need something with the Homelink v5 this one if you upgrade your garage door:

You already did the hard work, so if you upgrade your garage door you can either swap in the upgraded buttons or get a repeater. The repeater didn't work with my wife's Homelink v3 built into her car, so I ended up installing a Gentex frameless mirror in her car like the one I put in my RS.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, @phillofoc, and good catch on the v5 Homelink. I actually installed a v5, but didn't realize the one I linked to was older. I'd edit my 1st post, but I can't figure how on this new format. o_O

For the Amazon Prime members, here's another option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts