Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted, but this'll be worth it! ;)

So I went to my local dealer today and had the third recall/tsb done and I spoke to the tech and asked if they'd enable global windows open/close and of course he said he could but he'd have to charge me. Being in southern California, I kinda expected that, so I told them to just do the recall and not to worry about the windows. Well, it was bothering me so when I got home I did some more digging around in Forscan and I'm not sure if its the newest update that fixed it or if it was the new secondary boot loader I downloaded but I got it working now! Below are the steps to "Do-It-Yourself"!

I guess I should start this by saying following any of the below steps is completely at your own risk and you are chancing bricking your PCM. Proceed at your own risk!

1. Get yourself an OBDLink Mx Bluetooth ODB adapter from HERE
  2. Download and install FORScan from HERE
  3. Register on the FORScan forums and wait for your account to get activated
  4. Once activated, request an FORScan extended license from HERE
  5. Copy the extended license key into FORScan and make sure it then indicates "Extended"
  6. Get in your RS and roll all the windows down
  7. Plug in the OBDLink Mx to your OBDII port and turn the car on but don't start it
  8. Pair the OBDLink Mx to your Bluetooth enabled Laptop
  9. Open FORScan if it isn't already open, go to the connection tab and set the OBDLink Mx as the Bluetooth connection of choice, and click the connect button at the bottom of FORScan
  10. Once it scans your car and is done, click on the computer chip looking icon "Configuration and Programming"
  11. Then click BdyCM - Central configuration (main), then click the play icon at the bottom

12. You'll get an error message the first time telling you the SBL (Secondary Boot Loader) is missing, once it appears copy the file name (minus the VBF extension)
  13. Visit the IDS Software Update page from the ford service website found HERE, and put in the SBL name at the bottom "Calibration Files" box and click Download File
  14. Save the file to the directory that FORScan is asking for in the error box

15. Once its downloaded and you've cleared the error dialog box in FORScan, your car might restart, nothing to worry about, just click the BdyCM Central Configuration (Main) and hit play again
  16. You'll then see the next warning box, click OK if you're ready to continue

17. FORScan will copy the SBL to the PCM and you'll see error messages in the Car's HUD as if you were installing a tune on your car, once its done you'll see the next window

18. I wasn't sure if I should actually turn the car off or not, so I didn't but cleared the dialog box, then you'll get a list of things to change, scroll down to and click on "Global Open/Close" then click "Edit selected" and change the Value to "02- Global Open/Close Doors"

19. Click on "Write" after you've prayed to your deity of choice... this was super scary for me but it was over REALLY quick and I thought it didn't work
  20. Turn the ignition off once its done and get out of the car
  21. Press the lock button once, then press it again and hold it and... observe

Hope this helps guys - good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If you don't want the beep from the second press you can just long press the lock button the first time. At least on mine that is how it is.
Sweet! Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: also found out if you exit the car with the windows down and tap the handle to lock the car, but hold your hand there, it'll also roll the windows up!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ahhh global open close from factory is definitely a blessing for me then, to avoid hassles. Why not standard ford!?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Would you be interested in programming a fellow SoCal RS? I'll buy the beer!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would you be interested in programming a fellow SoCal RS? I'll buy the beer!
My heart was beating out of my chest already and it was my car - it might pop if I tried to do anyone else's... As much as I'm compelled by beer...

Nice to see you're still around.
Thanks! I still lurk. ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,522 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts
Ahhh global open close from factory is definitely a blessing for me then, to avoid hassles. Why not standard ford!?
I read through the Federal motor vehicle safety standards for the US and it appears to me that it does not meet the rules the government requires. 1) [For line of sight remotes 11M max distance to start closing the windows, for non-line of sight 6M] The remotes appear to be the non-line of sight type and still work well beyond 6 meters. 2) [While closing the windows the button must be held the entire time windows are closing, and if released should stop closing.] If you release the lock button while the windows are closing they continue to close, to stop them mid action you have to press the other button.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
EDIT: also found out if you exit the car with the windows down and tap the handle to lock the car, but hold your hand there, it'll also roll the windows up!
I found this out by accident one night. Got out of my car at a car meet and leaned against the door handle. After a few seconds, windows went up. I was confused, and then disappointed that I couldn't get them to go down from the unlock sensor in the handle =(

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
My heart was beating out of my chest already and it was my car - it might pop if I tried to do anyone else's... As much as I'm compelled by beer...
Totally understand. I had to try though. =D.

Thanks much for the write up. I think I have all the hardware. I'll fiddle around with the software and see if I can get confident with it.

·
5,588 Posts
Sweet! Thanks for the tip!

Does this also mean if you put hand in door lock to unlock and hold it there, all windows will go down? Anyone tried it?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I read through the Federal motor vehicle safety standards for the US and it appears to me that it does not meet the rules the government requires. 1) [For line of sight remotes 11M max distance to start closing the windows, for non-line of sight 6M] The remotes appear to be the non-line of sight type and still work well beyond 6 meters. 2) [While closing the windows the button must be held the entire time windows are closing, and if released should stop closing.] If you release the lock button while the windows are closing they continue to close, to stop them mid action you have to press the other button.
Haha! Are they concerned people are chopping each others' heads off without looking? eesh

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Now the real question is, does this software give you access to the remote start feature? I've seen it in screenshots of the ford menu, so hoping it's just disabled due to federal nanny-strictions.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Its standard in Europe. There has to be some stupid safety crap that made ford change the programming.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Haha! Are they concerned people are chopping each others' heads off without looking? eesh
Yes, they really went there.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts