Ford Focus RS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
What I dont like is when Im at a red light and when I put it into first and start moving I feel like Im going fast as F becuase of the sound but a prius is passing me. Feel like Ricky Bobby... Im going fast!!! Not.... Sigh....
Lol, yeah, that's part of the purpose - not just to make a cool noise, but also to fool drivers into thinking that they're going or revving faster than they really are. Apparently it tricks many drivers into up-shifting sooner, thus saving fuel.

Ford Thinks You'll Shift at Lower RPM If Your Tiny Engine Sounds Bigger

·
Registered
128 Posts
It makes perfect sense really and whoever made it I give props to. Not every one wants the whole neighborhood to know that "youre here". Also its ridiculous in the parking structures in LA to be so loud. I wouldnt mind having a loud mustang for a couple days but I wouldnt want that every day...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I saw this thread when I first pick up my RS 5 months ago, and forgot about it ever since haha, I just unplugged it because I wanted to go on a roadtrip with it, man what a difference. It is so quiet, unpleasantly quiet almost. And one thing that I feel is that the car FELT slower without all the fake noise in my opinion

·
Registered
365 Posts
Actually it is not slower, you need to driver faster to get the same sound out of the car. I disconnected mine and I realized that how more enjoyable is the drive. If you want more sound, a cat back exhaust is the next step.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, I am loving the true sound of this car! Much easier to be smoother in first gear, and a more natural feel for when to shift. And this hasn't made me drive any harder or affected the mpg.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Has anyone found that the radio starts popping and cracking more. Stations tend to drop during normal driving. When I unplugged it I found that stations were definitely cutting in and out. I plugged it back in and I was fine.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Has anyone found that the radio starts popping and cracking more. Stations tend to drop during normal driving. When I unplugged it I found that stations were definitely cutting in and out. I plugged it back in and I was fine.
I always listen to satellite radio and I have not noticed any popping or cracking.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I always listen to satellite radio and I have not noticed any popping or cracking.
I listen to a lot of radio or my music from my phone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there any way to get rid of the poping exhaust sound? What is causing it? excess gasoline injected? Or is there yet another useless feature added that creates this?
thank you

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Is there any way to get rid of the poping exhaust sound? What is causing it? excess gasoline injected? Or is there yet another useless feature added that creates this?
thank you
First have you unplugged the fake engine noise connector? The "pops and burgels" is built in. You will really notice it in sport and track mode.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
thank you
The pops can be turned off with a tune (Cobb etc.). You can also increase the pops with the tune.

·
Banned
713 Posts
thank you
Are you trying to upset Raj Nair ? He went to great extremes to design the "pops and burble" into the RS. :black_eyed: ... Try an aftermarket exhaust or disable the exhaust flap relay :triumphant:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lol, yeah, that's part of the purpose - not just to make a cool noise, but also to fool drivers into thinking that they're going or revving faster than they really are. Apparently it tricks many drivers into up-shifting sooner, thus saving fuel.

100% worked on me, I disabled yesterday on a stock RS and now I literally have zero engine input when the music is up. Thus shifting at higher RPMs, I think. I know I am alone in this but, I kinda like the fake sounds! At least until I get intake and exhaust, LOL!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oh man.. thank you to everyone in this thread especially OP, for this information. I've had my MY17 for almost a year and just unplugged the FENG last night. I'm way more in love with the car now!!! I was scared the motor was going to sound like a blender inside an empty metal box, like 4 cyl motors usually do, but it's not the case at all. It's definitely more quiet but in a good way. When you get on it, it still sounds nice. The actual motor sound is way more rewarding, hearing it climb up the RPM band. I'm actually more in tune with the motor's actual sounds now, if that makes sense. Plus, this may sound crazy but with the FENG the car felt underpowered.. like.. the car should be much faster sounding like it did. Now that it's unplugged it feels a lot quicker.

301 - 320 of 383 Posts