Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to disable the automatic A/C when the windshield defrosting is on? I like leaving it on most of the time but don't like the A/C being on all the time.

I've never liked cars thinking for me but over time more and more manufacturers include features that remove control from drivers. In the past it was possible to cut a PCB board line and disable this but I'm sure on new cars it is implemented in software....

·
Registered
349 Posts
Does anyone know how to disable the automatic A/C when the windshield defrosting is on? I like leaving it on most of the time but don't like the A/C being on all the time.

I've never liked cars thinking for me but over time more and more manufacturers include features that remove control from drivers. In the past it was possible to cut a PCB board line and disable this but I'm sure on new cars it is implemented in software....
Does pressing the AC button after turning on defrost disable it?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Does pressing the AC button after turning on defrost disable it?
The light indicating that the AC is running does not illuminate while defrost is enabled. I have not tried to disable AC myself in this situation but it definitely seems as though Ford is trying to hide this fact from the driver.

That was one thing that I loved about my DSMs: AC and defrost were two independent switches. Now that I think about it, I hate everything about the Focus's climate control.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think you really want to have the AC on in defrost mode since it reduces the RH in the cabin and makes defrosting much more effective.

·
Banned
713 Posts
I think you really want to have the AC on in defrost mode since it reduces the RH in the cabin and makes defrosting much more effective.
Correct on of the functions of AC is to de-humidify ( ..reduces RH <Realtive Humidity> ... )which in addition to hot defrost air, clears the window.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct on of the functions of AC is to de-humidify ( ..reduces RH <Realtive Humidity> ... )which in addition to hot defrost air, clears the window.
I agree that it is useful in certain situations, but not in all - I live in Northern California and it is dry and not very hot more than 6 months of the year. Most of this time the outside air is cool enough and running the AC actually can cause condensation on the outside of the windshield.

At the end of the day I'm OK with what they default the system to do as long as I can override the setting. In this case I have no option.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
If you want the compressor off just mash the throttle to the floor all the time, it shuts it right off.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to try and revive this old thread in hope that someone might have new ideas on how to achieve this. I have yet to figure out a way to disable the automatic A/C and haven't found any sources on doing it on any recent Focus model (maybe even Fords). Haven't seen anything related in the FORScan threads either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts