Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Wanted to post a thread on the headlight replacement bulbs, as the other two mentioned in the title are fairly easy.

Also, I want to show before/after shots of the brake/reverse bulbs.

Headlight removal is fairly simple, T30 Torx on top, one near the fender, and other near the top of radiator core support.

You have one connector going to the headlamp, and you should have the assembly removed.

Remove the rubber cover, and you should have access to to the bulb and its connector.

Pull down on connector, and you should see a hard plastic ring securing the bulb to the housing.

Lefty loosy, righty tighty, and you'll have the bulb out.

Below you'll see how to separate the bulb from the hard plastic lock ring.

IMG_20190311_214716.jpg
IMG_20190311_214809.jpg

Firmly push on the ring away from the center, upward, and it should free from the bulb.

Below you'll see the disassembled pieces

IMG_20190311_214802.jpg

Reverse the process, and hopefully it's a little brighter for yous guys.

IMG_20190311_212049.jpg
MVIMG_20190311_212120.jpg
Before

IMG_20190311_221240.jpg
MVIMG_20190311_221430.jpg
After

IMG_20190311_212040.jpg
Before Headlight

IMG_20190311_221143.jpg
After Headlight

Slight improvement with the headlight bulb, however the the reverse/brake light bulbs are a definite improvement.

Thanks for your time folks!

Happy to answer any questions.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I installed Philips reverse bulbs in my car, they're brighter but scatter the light more. So although more area is lit, it's hard to use the backup camera when it's really dark. Do you have the same with the Diode Dynamics bulbs?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I haven't had any good luck with Diode Dynamics so I don't recommend them. I have bought 2 pairs of fog lights and both have gone bad in under 6 months. I tried to reach them regarding replacement but no answer. I ended up buying a second pair and the same thing happened. The good thing is I still had one from the first set and i was able to use it. Not sure if anyone else has had the same as I have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey all,

Wanted to post a thread on the headlight replacement bulbs, as the other two mentioned in the title are fairly easy.

Also, I want to show before/after shots of the brake/reverse bulbs.

Headlight removal is fairly simple, T30 Torx on top, one near the fender, and other near the top of radiator core support.

You have one connector going to the headlamp, and you should have the assembly removed.

Remove the rubber cover, and you should have access to to the bulb and its connector.

Pull down on connector, and you should see a hard plastic ring securing the bulb to the housing.

Lefty loosy, righty tighty, and you'll have the bulb out.

Below you'll see how to separate the bulb from the hard plastic lock ring.

View attachment 324648
View attachment 324660

Firmly push on the ring away from the center, upward, and it should free from the bulb.

Below you'll see the disassembled pieces

View attachment 324658

Reverse the process, and hopefully it's a little brighter for yous guys.

View attachment 324662
View attachment 324664
Before

View attachment 324666
View attachment 324668
After

View attachment 324670
Before Headlight

View attachment 324672
After Headlight

Slight improvement with the headlight bulb, however the the reverse/brake light bulbs are a definite improvement.

Thanks for your time folks!

Happy to answer any questions.
What kelvin color headlight did you purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed Philips reverse bulbs in my car, they're brighter but scatter the light more. So although more area is lit, it's hard to use the backup camera when it's really dark. Do you have the same with the Diode Dynamics bulbs?
Not at all! DD Reverse LEDs do a really great job of lighting the pathway. 410 Lumen output definitely visible on camera when in reverse. Helps tremendously when I don't have the driveway lights on at night.

I haven't had any good luck with Diode Dynamics so I don't recommend them. I have bought 2 pairs of fog lights and both have gone bad in under 6 months. I tried to reach them regarding replacement but no answer. I ended up buying a second pair and the same thing happened. The good thing is I still had one from the first set and i was able to use it. Not sure if anyone else has had the same as I have.
I've installed DD fogs on the wife's ST, when they did fail, I spoke with CS, and they shipped out a replacement within 3-5 days. I should note that I have had no reliability issues with their products since then.

I have fogs installed on the RS for little over 1yr+, and have had no issues. I suppose your mileage will vary, right?

What kelvin color headlight did you purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I opted for the 6k, I would have loved to try and see the difference in visibility with 4300k.

I commute to work on nights, 2 lane highway, with no street lights, and a high probability of deers jumping over my hood.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Not at all! DD Reverse LEDs do a really great job of lighting the pathway. 410 Lumen output definitely visible on camera when in reverse. Helps tremendously when I don't have the driveway lights on at night.

I've installed DD fogs on the wife's ST, when they did fail, I spoke with CS, and they shipped out a replacement within 3-5 days. I should note that I have had no reliability issues with their products since then.

I have fogs installed on the RS for little over 1yr+, and have had no issues. I suppose your mileage will vary, right?

I opted for the 6k, I would have loved to try and see the difference in visibility with 4300k.

I commute to work on nights, 2 lane highway, with no street lights, and a high probability of deers jumping over my hood.
Thanks for the feedback! Consider enabling bambi mode using FORScan if you drive in areas without lighting. Makes a fair difference when you can drive with high beams and fogs at the same time, as the fogs light up the sides of the road pretty well to compensate for the straight-ahead of the high beams

1 - 6 of 6 Posts