Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry, Figured its own thread was better than continuing in the price release thread. I reread the definitions for some parts, pinion being one that by definition my transaxles does have as part of the counter shaft. But pinion and ring gears are not what make a differential a differential, their purpose is to act as a reduction gear to get more torque while the differential is use to evenly distribute that torque to each wheel in the case of an open diff, or to allow some amount of even distribution and/or locking as needed in the case of a locking/LSD. But a differential by loose definition is a set of gears that allows two shaft on the same axis to turn at different rates.

But I still can stand my the RDU not being a differential because the left and right outputs can not rotate at different rates. But the RDU as an assembly can replace a differential (or two). To me calling it a differential is like calling a lamp a candle. While a lamp can replace the candle and serve a similar purpose as a candle for most common uses it is still not a candle. Likewise having a part that removes the need for a center and rear differential does not automatically make it a differential.

I still stand by the count of 1 in the drive train.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts