Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone educate me on the difference between the premium painted alloy wheels and the premium FORGED alloy wheels? Why is the forged supposed to be better?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Can someone educate me on the difference between the premium painted alloy wheels and the premium FORGED alloy wheels? Why is the forged supposed to be better?
The forged wheels are lighter. I believe 200g lighter, but don't quote me on that. No, that's not much. They're also supposed to be stronger. Personally I bought them because I think they look better and they'll be easier to clean due to the gloss finish and how they have less than 4726 spokes.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Forging is a process that in laymans terms treats the aluminium alloy such that it becomes much stronger. Usually the wheel manufacturer will design a forged wheel with less material so that it is lighter. The overall strength remains the same since even though there is less material it's stronger per pound. The weight savings in unsprung mass (think wheels, tires, brakes) is huge compared to regular sprung mass. The rule of thumb I've heard is that reducing unsprung mass is equivalent to 4 times that of sprung mass. In other words 2.2lbs per corner would be a perceived weight loss of about 35 pounds.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The forged wheels are lighter. I believe 200g lighter, but don't quote me on that. No, that's not much. They're also supposed to be stronger. Personally I bought them because I think they look better and they'll be easier to clean due to the gloss finish and how they have less than 4726 spokes.
No, I'm like 99% sure it's 1kg / 1000g / 2.2lbs.

·
Super Moderator
15,469 Posts

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
In a nut shell, "Forging is the process of forcing a solid billet of aluminum between the forging dies under an extreme amount of pressure. This creates a finished product that is very dense, very strong and therefore can be very light. The costs of tooling, development, equipment, etc., make this type of wheel very exclusive and usually demand a high price in the aftermarket."
With casting the alloy is melted and poured into a mound. The grain structure is not uniform and the process is not as strong as forging. Think of a blacksmith heating and hammering a piece of steel to form it verses just pouring molten aluminum into a jello mould.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Forging is a process that in laymans terms treats the aluminium alloy such that it becomes much stronger. Usually the wheel manufacturer will design a forged wheel with less material so that it is lighter. The overall strength remains the same since even though there is less material it's stronger per pound. The weight savings in unsprung mass (think wheels, tires, brakes) is huge compared to regular sprung mass. The rule of thumb I've heard is that reducing unsprung mass is equivalent to 4 times that of sprung mass. In other words 2.2lbs per corner would be a perceived weight loss of about 35 pounds.
So if a Samoan family fasts, that'll be the difference ... 4 people and 8.75 pounds of poop each.

But if 5 lbs equates to 1 hp where talking about ~7 hp, as a daily driver I think after market will provide a prettier package in an 18 that will save me money on tires and be even lighter. Hell, the rims will pay for themselves after 5 sets of tires and 18 inch rims handle better from what I've read.

And I know we're talking about unsprung mass but at this level its still in the ballpark, so please don't go off on your rants. Thx!

http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_nurburgring.php These are 18.6 lbs ... lighter than factory forged and oh so pretty.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In a nut shell, "Forging is the process of forcing a solid billet of aluminum between the forging dies under an extreme amount of pressure. This creates a finished product that is very dense, very strong and therefore can be very light. The costs of tooling, development, equipment, etc., make this type of wheel very exclusive and usually demand a high price in the aftermarket."
With casting the alloy is melted and poured into a mound. The grain structure is not uniform and the process is not as strong as forging. Think of a blacksmith heating and hammering a piece of steel to form it verses just pouring molten aluminum into a jello mould.
i like your explanation. i get it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Last I read it was approx. 1.5lbs per corner saved with the forged wheel package.

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/18-focus-rs-wheels-tires/238-wheels-will-you-ordering-your-fors.html

I purchased mine since I have fits when cleaning brake dust off of rims with many spokes.

Those nooks and crannies are hard to keep clean.
The only official information I can find says 1.3lbs, but I swear there was official info saying 2.2lbs.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/03/25/all-new-ford-focus-rs-makes-us-debut-in-new-york.html

So if a Samoan family fasts, that'll be the difference ... 4 people and 8.75 pounds of poop each.

But if 5 lbs equates to 1 hp where talking about ~7 hp, as a daily driver I think after market will provide a prettier package in an 18 that will save me money on tires and be even lighter. Hell, the rims will pay for themselves after 5 sets of tires and 18 inch rims handle better from what I've read.

And I know we're talking about unsprung mass but at this level its still in the ballpark, so please don't go off on your rants. Thx!

Nurburgring Alloy Wheels by TSW These are 18.6 lbs ... lighter than factory forged and oh so pretty.
The Nurburgrings are overdone and kind of bleh in my opinion. I'm going for the bathurst.

I'm not going to go on a rant, but unsprung mass is going to have a much bigger difference than the normal weight reduction. All the more reason to go aftermarket. I think we are on the same page. I can sell my stock wheels and tires and have enough money to buy a brand new set with cash left to spare.

·
Super Moderator
15,469 Posts
Whether it's 1.5 or 2.2lbs it's all good for weight loss and less weight to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i also like them for the exact same reasons as you. i really dislike the other wheels with the 4726 spokes, those have never been my cup of tea. But thats why there are so many choices, each to his own.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I like all of your numbers better. I don't know where I saw 200g so let's just say that I made it up.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
The forged wheels are machined out of one solid piece of raw material, right? The base wheels are cast which is liquid metal poured into a mold.

·
Registered
892 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
That's been my point for a while. I even agreed to a $5 bet with another member that the forged wheels would be >23 pounds:

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/18-focus-rs-wheels-tires/621-anybody-got-their-planned-after-market-wheels-12.html

If they are indeed >23 lbs, then they are really not worth the money IMHO, since you can get several brands (not necessarily forged though) for a lot less than what the factory forged wheels cost.
I'll put money down they weigh 24 lbs.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thank god someone finally realized you can buy better wheels after you get the car and for cheaper

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
Forged wheel: 600g lighter when fitted with the PCS2 tyre - Ford Australia PDF brochure.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts