Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Discussion Starter #1
Just curious,
When rs was released and motor journalists were reviewing it I initially thought OK some reviews may be positive and some will be negative.

However, most if not all are positive and somehow I find this rare with motor journalists.

So question is did you expect such high praise and what does this mean going forward?

Registered
I was hoping for a few but its very nice having so many positive reviews. I was worried due to the old " dont buy the first year of a car " and buying a car without even seeing it or driving it but I think I can put those worries to rest. Im just sick of them saying the Vw is competition. I understand the Audi and the Mercedes but not the Vw.

Registered
It has been a pretty great response, the only notable downsides being interior and fuel economy (which is directly related to the driving styles!). Really looking forward to some more post-launch reviews when the journos get a solid week to conduct the assessments.

Registered
Yes I expected it. Especially since these reviews are just initial assessments. Like @Derp said, longer reviews at non-media events are where a truer assessment will happen... Not that I doubt it will be a great car, just the downsides will be more apparent. Also, true comparisons will happen then. Long term tests and actual ownership will show any lurking gremlins or "first model year" and reliability issues, if any exist.

Registered
I expected them, based on the ride-along reviews. But man, they sure seem mesmerized by the VW interior. I need to go sit in one because, from the RS interior photos, I don't see it as THAT far off the mark. I would rather have Ford put the money in performance bits anyway.

Jim

Registered
image.jpg
I expected them, based on the ride-along reviews. But man, they sure seem mesmerized by the VW interior. I need to go sit in one because, from the RS interior photos, I don't see it as THAT far off the mark. I would rather have Ford put the money in performance bits anyway.

Jim
I agree. It's nice, but come on, this isn't Priyanka Chopra versus Janet Reno.

Registered
My wife owns a 2012 GTI, a very close friend just bought a brand new GTI and we have test drove both the new GTI and Golf R. I currently drive a 2007 BMW 335i and my previous vehicle was a 2003 BMW 540i M-Sport. The 540i was definitely the best interior of the set, followed by all of the VW's then the 335i.

I haven't actually been in an ST, so I can't compare them too well, but I would imagine the big differences are in the center stack (the Focus one looks awkward, were most that are considered "nice" are more well integrated and sleek) and in finish quality. The materials are probably one grade higher in the German vehicles. Oh, and the new VW steering wheel is absolutely fantastic IMO.

Having said all of that, if the RS is that much more dynamic and that much more of a driver's car, I couldn't care less as long as the shifter, pedals, seats and steering wheel feel right.

Registered

Jim
I sat in an r yesterday and I hated every bit of it. It's plain and boring and nothing fancy about it. I had to get put of the car fast because it felt terrible.

Registered
Sat in a golf R and I wasn't enamored by the interior nor was I with the focus st. I'm tired of hearing about the Golf R interior as if it's some super high quality custom place that I can't live without being in. Hell, people posting pictures of the Golf R interior as if it can show how nice it looks. The photos make it look dated and boring and it's not much better in person. So either way we're buying a 36k Ford hot hatch, not a euro luxury car.

Registered
Honestly Yes. Maybe i was being naive of hopeful, but yes. I excepted good reviews all around, but ended up getting stellar reviews. So there is that :)

Registered
And to speak to the Golf R comparison in regards to the interior. I mean, they had to knock the RS on something right? I'm glad its mostly the interior. I mean if they wanted to give it another glowing review they would have just compared the RS interior to a Subaru...

Registered
they sure seem mesmerized by the VW interior.
Its weird isnt it? Its a really subjective thing, but the motoring press are united in their admiration for that interior. I feel like its almost as busy as the last gen Focus with the bazillion buttons. That image from @RocketRS makes the climate control stack look like a tape deck with the old radio preset push buttons.
The RS centre stack is definitely econobox, but I dont expect to spend much time looking anywhere but out the windshield at the landscape screaming past.

Premium Member
Sat in a golf R and I wasn't enamored by the interior nor was I with the focus st. I'm tired of hearing about the Golf R interior as if it's some super high quality custom place that I can't live without being in. Hell, people posting pictures of the Golf R interior as if it can show how nice it looks. The photos make it look dated and boring and it's not much better in person. So either way we're buying a 36k Ford hot hatch, not a euro luxury car.
I totally agree. I feel like the reviewers have a very quixotic view of the Golf R's interior. The R interior is nice but it's not BMW 5 series nice or Audi RS nice. In fact, I find the equipment between the R and RS pretty comparable with the main differences being aesthetics.

Registered
View attachment 4278

I agree. It's nice, but come on, this isn't Priyanka Chopra versus Janet Reno.
Come on guys...this looks more like a Scirocco R to me - not a Mk7 Golf R interior. Golf R has a single surface gloss black centre dash and integrated vents.
When ragging be sure to get your details correct...

The RS (from pictures) has a near as dam-it Focus ST interior with a few minor detail changes. I'm supposing the rear details will be the same as an ST.
The ST has some nicer soft touch plastics than more entry level Foci. Perhaps Ford could have put a soft touch or more classy center dash which would lift a high profile low rent piece - they didn't. It is adequate.

The Golf is nicer to me. It feels and looks understated classy, it would easily market in the next higher price bracket, which is what raises the criticism. But the R is Haldex. No interior can solve that: 'nuff said!

The Focus splits the Golf and the STI and is far better than a Mitsi Evo low rent ready to rally interior.

GNK, max torque from 2000rpm, power to past 6000 (nearly 5000rpm of engine - how tractable is that?!!!), single rate 2 turn lock to lock steering. Brakes. Correct driving position (subject to Shell Bucket bum test - Only Australian seat).

Ford made the right choices. This is a DRIVERS CAR. Plenty of nice interiors on the market to choose from if that's your thing - A Golf TSI in leather is right there at your local VW dealer.

Registered
Just curious,
When rs was released and motor journalists were reviewing it I initially thought OK some reviews may be positive and some will be negative.

However, most if not all are positive and somehow I find this rare with motor journalists.

So question is did you expect such high praise and what does this mean going forward?
Like I said in another thread, the only negative RS reviews will likely come from Consumer Reports etc. who will dislike the lack of automatic transmission and lack of overly intrusive driver nannies/technology. Most auto-journalism sites are run by car people who generally favor the occasional high-performance niche vehicle debut in the growing sea of boring appliances.

There were no guarantees of how the FoRS would turn out early on in the process, but since it started with the already good FoST dynamics and added the well proven ingredient of a sophisticated AWD system to turn up the fun dial, optimism was pretty much the feeling right out of the gate. And reading all these reviews only confirms that I've made the right choice when it comes to my next car and it will be worth every waiting minute and every penny! :rugby:

Congrats to all those who have received build dates!

Banned
All Positve Review what I expected the RS is an awesome, pinnacle

When you are a German bigot and the only thing you can find wrong with the RS is the interior, that means that RS is better than awesome, its the pinnacle! When the only cars they car find to beat are $10k or more over, like the AMG CLA45

Be glad you are on this forum! :victorious::victorious: That means you are a true enthusiast and more than likely have already have a car on order which is good because the RS we be in short supply and the ADM level will stay or raise even as more RSs are produced. ...but, you will have one :smug:

YMMV,

MidCow3

Registered
View attachment 4280

I dunno. Here's a page from R&T:
Just from the climatronic controls you can tell it's not the same car. It has three knobs and the other only has two. Door handles, etc.

The MK7 has an extremely nice interior, the R actually has a better interior than the S3 IMO. But none of us bought the RS for its interior. At least it's not as terrible as the STI.

Registered
I expected alot of positive reviews about the RS. Honestly I wished Mitsubishi got their stuff together and made an Evo XI but it's good that Ford seems to be picking up the slack and maybe Subaru will finally do something with the STi.

Kudos to the RS team for making an awesome car. It will be bittersweet leaving my Evo for the RS but the support Ford and the aftermarket will be giving will be nothing short of amazing.

Registered
Here's the 2014 Golf R, similar interior view:

2014-Volkswagen-Golf-R-Interior.jpg

And ours:

Focus RS Interior.jpg

It's nice but it doesn't seem like it's an A+ against the RS' C- either. More of an A- compared to a solid B, IMO. Obviously pictures don't tell the entire story, but...

Jim

PS And dang if I wouldn't have to spray some sort of paint on that Golf R dead pedal - it looks loud and hideous, luckily your foot is usually covering it. The pedal-set looks like a set of cheap, JC Whitney coverings.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts