Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With warm weather right around the corner for allot of us, I figured it was as good a time as any to share your detailing regimen. Just ordered a bunch of stuff and have another package coming in a few more days. What do you guys use? How do you go about detailing your ride? I'm sure there will be folks who are new to detailing that could gain some valuable information from learning some from others who have the knowledge.

With that said I just received my first package of goodies. Have another package coming in a few days. Can't wait for the snow and salt to official leave us and get cracking on my car. Me personally, I'd really like to hear from anyone who is confident in their polishing skills, particularly in the use of a porter cable and what pads I need and how to go about it. I watch Junkman2000 videos all the time but he's a pro so I still am hesitant to use one. I'm afraid of burning right through my clear.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
With warm weather right around the corner for allot of us, I figured it was as good a time as any to share your detailing regimen. Just ordered a bunch of stuff and have another package coming in a few more days. What do you guys use? How do you go about detailing your ride? I'm sure there will be folks who are new to detailing that could gain some valuable information from learning some from others who have the knowledge.

With that said I just received my first package of goodies. Have another package coming in a few days. Can't wait for the snow and salt to official leave us and get cracking on my car. Me personally, I'd really like to hear from anyone who is confident in their polishing skills, particularly in the use of a porter cable and what pads I need and how to go about it. I watch Junkman2000 videos all the time but he's a pro so I still am hesitant to use one. I'm afraid of burning right through my clear.

If you are using a DA polisher you shouldn't worry too much. They are very safe to use and although possible very hard to burn through. The pads really depend on the products and what condition your paint is in. If it is a newer vehicle I would stay away from cutting compounds or only use very light ones to remove light scratches. If you use autogeek most of the products will state which pad they recommend to use with a DA. Just remember to take your time and plan at least 4 hours to do. Detailing is all about steps, finding out where to start and how far you want to take it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you are using a DA polisher you shouldn't worry too much. They are very safe to use and although possible very hard to burn through. The pads really depend on the products and what condition your paint is in. If it is a newer vehicle I would stay away from cutting compounds or only use very light ones to remove light scratches. If you use autogeek most of the products will state which pad they recommend to use with a DA. Just remember to take your time and plan at least 4 hours to do. Detailing is all about steps, finding out where to start and how far you want to take it.
I appreciate the feedback. The thing I noticed from most of the videos I watch is that they only do one particular section to show how to use the polisher. In the real world do you polish the entire car, wipe down, change pads and goto the next step or do you do just one panel at a time? Seems the latter method you'd be changing pads back and forth quite frequently and using up an extraordinary amount of microfibers that way. To me continually switching pads like that would leave you open to possibly picking up more contamination on that pad. That's where I always get hung up. As well as how often to change pads. So say you are using a cutting pad with XXX compound. Do you do 1/2 a vehicle and switch to a new cutting pad the for the rest of car? Maybe switch out more? I am looking for a really good video to explain but haven't found that one yet. I just find videos showing 10 minute samples using 1/4 of the hood taped off.

Adam's Polishes | Premium Car Care Supplies is the only thing I use, GREAT stuff!
Have never used Adam's....Which ones do you use, Buzzard? This is the first time using Chemical Guys Jet seal so we will see how it stacks up to Klasse and Wolfgang's....I'm always open to trying the higher end products that people post positive things about.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I appreciate the feedback. The thing I noticed from most of the videos I watch is that they only do one particular section to show how to use the polisher. In the real world do you polish the entire car, wipe down, change pads and goto the next step or do you do just one panel at a time? Seems the latter method you'd be changing pads back and forth quite frequently and using up an extraordinary amount of microfibers that way. To me continually switching pads like that would leave you open to possibly picking up more contamination on that pad. That's where I always get hung up. As well as how often to change pads. So say you are using a cutting pad with XXX compound. Do you do 1/2 a vehicle and switch to a new cutting pad the for the rest of car? Maybe switch out more? I am looking for a really good video to explain but haven't found that one yet. I just find videos showing 10 minute samples using 1/4 of the hood taped off.

Have never used Adam's....Which ones do you use, Buzzard? This is the first time using Chemical Guys Jet seal so we will see how it stacks up to Klasse and Wolfgang's....I'm always open to trying the higher end products that people post positive things about.
I use all their products, especially love the paint sealant! Don't get me wrong there are a lot of great products out there, but once I find a brand I like I tend to stick with it. They have a lot of videos to watch which you can learn a lot from as well and a forum full of detailers that are very helpful!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

Working in small areas has its advantages but very time consuming and also as you stated more chances for contamination ect. I wouldn't worry too much about completing one panel at a time but focusing on it is more important. Depending on the size of the pad and how much you are working it, the pad may last the whole vehicle. you only need to really change pads when they start to come apart. If you want to cut, find out how deep and this may have its advantages with only compounding one panel to see results but other then that, do one step completely then move on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can't say enough positive about Adams products (adamspolishes.com). They have fantastic products and support. Check out their videos and you should learn all you need to properly detail your entire car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can't say enough positive about Adams products (adamspolishes.com). They have fantastic products and support. Check out their videos and you should learn all you need to properly detail your entire car.
I have tried a few vendors' products - Chemical Guys, Stay Fresh, Adam's, Meguiar's and came away loving Adam's Polishes products. Their company ethos and outstanding customer support is, bar none, the best I have ever been party to.

Adam's is not the cheapest nor the most expensive in the market, but stands as a highest-quality product. Stay Fresh is new in the market and are eager to please, with prices lower than most and great quality . Chemical guys has an extensive product line, great prices, and good quality. Their MF towels are probably the best-kept secret in car-care. And Meguiar's - I can't say any of their products really impresses me. They sell a decent product at a decent price.

That's my experience in a nutshell.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you want some awesome microfibers, that are edgeless then go to theragcompany.com. they are excellent.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Adams polishes .com is the only place i would recommend and have a complete video series u can watch online so you can detail like a pro
I'm am clay baring my challenger tomorrow, a must before you wax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use Iron X before claying. It makes that process of detailing so much easier. It's the polishing step I've always omitted, simply out of fear of screwing up my paint. Other than that my detailing process is very thorough.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just received my porter cable, lake country pads and backing plates. Also Chemical guys V36 and V38 and Menzerna's SF4500. Now, just need a day off with warm'ish weather.

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
I am far from a detailer, but I have a bunch of these and they are awesome. They are a great small company with a quality product and I highly reccomend. They also have great sales often as well.

image.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea they are a vendor on vt.org. They seem to be well liked by the people who are customers.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I happen to be the owner and detailer of a professional detailing company in South Jersey. If you ever need any help or have questions feel free to ask. As an Authorized Installer of OptiCoat Pro+, the majority of my products also come from optimum polymer technologies. The ease of use and synergy between the products makes life so much easier. If you ever have any detailing questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ideally, you should be doing a quick All-in-one step, or light compound/polish after you clay bar due to micro marring the clay bar will make.

In fact your finish may actually be better looking before clay bar, than if you clay barred.

Clay bar ain't some magic detailing secret. It is a decontamination process, that has drawbacks to it. Of course most people won't notice the defects they inflict on their clear coat because their idea of detailing is not that of a professional detailer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ideally, you should be doing a quick All-in-one step, or light compound/polish after you clay bar due to micro marring the clay bar will make.

In fact your finish may actually be better looking before clay bar, than if you clay barred.

Clay bar ain't some magic detailing secret. It is a decontamination process, that has drawbacks to it. Of course most people won't notice the defects they inflict on their clear coat because their idea of detailing is not that of a professional detailer.
I agree...I got more involved with polishing this summer and didn't realize the marring that occurred with my clay mitt.

I was amazed what 1 pass with my GG6 and HD Speed achieved. Just 1 pass. That some awesome stuff to work with, easy to use and very affordable via a membership to Autolity.com

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
This seems like it's a great opportunity to dig up a nice contest for you guys to win a Chicago Pneumatic CP7201 polisher kit. Be on the lookout!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
11 Participants
TacolinoQC
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing