Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading how exactly this AWD system works, I'm a little worried about this. The sacrifice of a permanent AWD system for fuel efficiency and what seems to be a better performance algorithm is worth it, but if the front tires are going to spin while the rears do nothing if I get stuck, I will not be happy. I'll have snows, I always did in my MS3 and I'm a believer that EVERY car should have in NE winters, but still.

Can someone talk me down?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Where did you develop this theory? I've chatted with an enginee on the project, specifically the drive system and they have run it through every imaginable scenario imaginable and some not.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I don't think this awd setup is all too different from what is already out there.
It has a ring and pinion, but instead of spider gears engaging the side gears with a preloaded spring, there are two separate hydraulically activated clutch packs to engage each drive shaft.
considering they are hydraulically operated it would seem the possibilities for locking and unlocking each half shaft would be endless and that's where all the computer trickery comes into play.
I bet handling in snow is fantastic.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Pretty sure I read the same article as you last night with the guy referring to a mazdaspeed awd having a 'similar' set up and it working fabulously for performance but didn't in snow. If they're selling them in places with snow 6+ months of the year, I'm super sure they've tested this.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Who needs AWD for snow? A good set of snow tires and your good, worst winter I have ever seen last year just south of Boston and I only got stuck once in my ST. That was due to 2.5ft of snow and not have the street plowed and getting lodged on the snow burn at the end which was 3ft thick, I was able to get unstuck with some quick shifting, but am I in no way concerned how the RS will do with snows considering how my ST did even without an LSD.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Up here in good ol' Canada it makes a difference. Is t required? No. Does studded winter tires and power to 4 wheels work even better? Hell yes.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Up here in good ol' Canada it makes a difference. Is t required? No. Does studded winter tires and power to 4 wheels work even better? Hell yes.
It deff helps but a good driver in a FWD vehicle will always beat a poor driver in AWD. Going is half the battle, turning and stopping are the biggest issue and if you are any good at Left foot braking you don't need AWD for that, and I honestly prefer a well set up FWD. The RS though with its AWD should be a blast with Torque Vectoring and be able to power out of corners amazingly, we will just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
561 Posts
But a good driver in awd will beat a good driver in fwd. my preference. I winter drove my rx7 for two years and now that I have my little Subaru justy I won't do it again haha.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
But a good driver in awd will beat a good driver in fwd. my preference. I winter drove my rx7 for two years and now that I have my little Subaru justy I won't do it again haha.
LOL , I bet that Rx7 was a lot of fun in the snow but I could see that it may get frustrating especially if it was your only option.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Lots of videos out there of the system on the Land Rover... Here is one that has the traditional AWD (on the Sport) vs the new system (on the Evoque).

They are both the same... In the snow it'll depend on your tires.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lots of videos out there of the system on the Land Rover... Here is one that has the traditional AWD (on the Sport) vs the new system (on the Evoque).

They are both the same... In the snow it'll depend on your tires.
All 4 wheels turning when stuck is def encouraging, I'll have snows for sure though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I haven't heard that anywhere, do share more. I'm curious to see what Ford is recommending
The RS in Canada is coming with 2 sets of wheels/tires.

Ford Performance engineers have also approved the Michelin 225/40R18 Pilot Alpin PA4 winter tires and developed an 18" RS alloy wheel for cold weather applications.
In Canada, a winter tire/wheel package will be standard equipment on the Focus RS and will be shipped seperately to the dealership.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pretty sure I read the same article as you last night with the guy referring to a mazdaspeed awd having a 'similar' set up and it working fabulously for performance but didn't in snow. If they're selling them in places with snow 6+ months of the year, I'm super sure they've tested this.
Yeah, same article I'm sure. It was written in February so I was hoping for some updated/more detailed info. Thanks to the guys for the heads up on the Evoque system, def feeling much better about things.

Ford Performance engineers have also approved the Michelin 225/40R18 Pilot Alpin PA4 winter tires and developed an 18" RS alloy wheel for cold weather applications.
In Canada, a winter tire/wheel package will be standard equipment on the Focus RS and will be shipped seperately to the dealership.
Ugh, lucky! Alpins are supposed to be really good tires. With that I guess we could assume an 18' rim is the smallest we can go?

·
Registered
60 Posts
In the "rebitth of the icon" they said that RS was tested on asctic, so I think AWD will be better that we think. However RS was build especialy for EU market, where breaks and power transmision are most important. I live near mountains, where winter is verry strong. I have tested a lot of tyres and continental ts850 are the best of all.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Thanks! I'm hoping to garage mine in winter but it is good to see what OEM snows will be

1 - 20 of 42 Posts