Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This entire post really depends on whether or not Ford will make a 2017 or 2nd model of the RS. I have decided that I will wait for the 2017 version of the Focus RS. I came by this decision from couple of reasons.

First off, I am really happy with my 2014 Focus ST, and I absolutely love driving it. It will be paid off in November of 2016. So hopefully by that time, the newer model for the RS will be out or coming out.

Secondly, I just do not like buying the first run of anything, especially a vehicle. Waiting for the 2nd model will allow Ford time to fix any issues that may have crept up, for example, the rear motor mount on the 2013 ST. My ST came with the upgraded rmm, not the flimsy triangle rmm. Although I now have a Cobb rmm on it now.

I also have a feeling that not only will it be difficult to find one, when you do find one, the markup from the dealer may by high. Maybe when the 2nd model comes out, there will we some different options available. Different colors, different interiors, just some more options. Maybe, and I wish, that the Sync3 will be better and they scrap the sorry excuse for a sound system. Waiting a model year will also allow 3rd party manufacturers time to catch up. So there should be a good variety of aftermarket parts available when the 2nd model comes out.

Lastly and probably the most important, I am currently in the process of building a house. I am in the early stages of that, so if you have ever done that you know what that means. Currently I do not have a garage, the new house will. I do not want to purchase an RS and not have a garage to store it in. Didn't have a choice with the ST not having a garage and I have seen what kind a damage can be done to the paint without a garage.

I will eventually own an RS, just need to exercise a little bit of patience.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can't blame you there. I'm still finishing up school and the FoRS is looking like a definite possibility for me when I graduate, but there's nothing worse than adding more stress. I agree that the first year run is also a concern, for any car really. I also wonder how much of a depreciation hit they will take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
This entire post really depends on whether or not Ford will make a 2017 or 2nd model of the RS. I have decided that I will wait for the 2017 version of the Focus RS. I came by this decision from couple of reasons.

First off, I am really happy with my 2014 Focus ST, and I absolutely love driving it. It will be paid off in November of 2016. So hopefully by that time, the newer model for the RS will be out or coming out.

Secondly, I just do not like buying the first run of anything, especially a vehicle. Waiting for the 2nd model will allow Ford time to fix any issues that may have crept up, for example, the rear motor mount on the 2013 ST. My ST came with the upgraded rmm, not the flimsy triangle rmm. Although I now have a Cobb rmm on it now.

I also have a feeling that not only will it be difficult to find one, when you do find one, the markup from the dealer may by high. Maybe when the 2nd model comes out, there will we some different options available. Different colors, different interiors, just some more options. Maybe, and I wish, that the Sync3 will be better and they scrap the sorry excuse for a sound system. Waiting a model year will also allow 3rd party manufacturers time to catch up. So there should be a good variety of aftermarket parts available when the 2nd model comes out.

Lastly and probably the most important, I am currently in the process of building a house. I am in the early stages of that, so if you have ever done that you know what that means. Currently I do not have a garage, the new house will. I do not want to purchase an RS and not have a garage to store it in. Didn't have a choice with the ST not having a garage and I have seen what kind a damage can be done to the paint without a garage.

I will eventually own an RS, just need to exercise a little bit of patience.

I'm on the fence, however I think as of this morning I've decided that I will put an order in. I figure they won't be on the dealer lots until March-April timeframe. If I don't like the color, interior (want to see a non rs2 interior), etc., I can just walk away and get my deposit back. Plenty of time to think about it without really any risk. Price will be negotiated before the order goes in, so I won't worry about that. That is my take on waiting.

I wish everyone would get off the fence about a "first model year"..."work out the bugs"...The only significantly thing different on this car is the AWD system and if that is garbage we're all screwed. No one will no that for a few years probably. Yes it has a slightly different turbo and a few other engine tweaks, but this motor has been in production for a while now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can't blame you there. I'm still finishing up school and the FoRS is looking like a definite possibility for me when I graduate, but there's nothing worse than adding more stress. I agree that the first year run is also a concern, for any car really. I also wonder how much of a depreciation hit they will take.

I must be doing something wrong, I couldn't afford a 40K car coming out of college....good for you! I wouldn't be concerned about depreciation, it should hold its value well. It isn't going to hold value like a Nissan Skyline or Raptor, but it shouldn't depreciate like a normal Focus either. Is it going to be worth 35K in 4 years, probably not, but that isn't really the point is it? We aren't talking exotics or using this as an investment, we are buying the cars because they should be a crap ton of fun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I must be doing something wrong, I couldn't afford a 40K car coming out of college....good for you! I wouldn't be concerned about depreciation, it should hold its value well. It isn't going to hold value like a Nissan Skyline or Raptor, but it shouldn't depreciate like a normal Focus either. Is it going to be worth 35K in 4 years, probably not, but that isn't really the point is it? We aren't talking exotics or using this as an investment, we are buying the cars because they should be a crap ton of fun.
Well I was talking about depreciation because I wouldn't picking up a nice, low-mileage used or CPO FoRS lol. You can get absolutely killer deals on used/CPO ST's. Could that be because of the 2015 refresh and/or the coming FoRS, absolutely, but you never know.

Thanks! I must say, I've been very blessed. My girlfriend (eventually to be wife) and I will be graduating relatively debt-free from college and going into pretty well-paying fields. I won't be buying one the day after I graduate, more like a year or year and half after lol. Gotta save up a little.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I had a very early build speed3 (11/06) and raced it for 3 seasons and had zero issues.
ok, so some had their engine mounts fall apart, engines drop to the ground and assplode, but nothing a little locktite on the bolt couldn't fix. and those that did go boom were fully covered.

1st years issues is not a big enough concern for me to lose sleep over and certainly not enough for me to not want the keys.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congrats BigZman95 - Your hard work will pay off and will make owning this or any new vehicle more satisfying. I wish more people had this attitude.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Congrats BigZman95 - Your hard work will pay off and will make owning this or any new vehicle more satisfying. I wish more people had this attitude.
Thanks! As much as I wanted different cars I couldn't justify the payment right now. I bought my current car for less than the downpayment of cars I was looking at lol.

I also don't mind waiting as I will either be able to find nice used/CPO cars, see how the RS turns out, what the competition is doing etc. We live in a great time to love cars.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I got the first year hemi 392 in my 2011 challenger. Not one problem. 470 hp

Well there are also updates / new options to think about as well, i.e., the 2016 STI now comes with a 6" touchscreen as standard versus 2015's archaic headunit. I doubt the FoRS changes much except maybe new colors but that still could be a deciding factor. I'm also a big proponent of buying used.

Btw, nice car!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well there are also updates / new options to think about as well, i.e., the 2016 STI now comes with a 6" touchscreen as standard versus 2015's archaic headunit. I doubt the FoRS changes much except maybe new colors but that still could be a deciding factor. I'm also a big proponent of buying used.

Btw, nice car!

I will be buying the first one that hits my dealer lot. Little choice now, as I sold all my cars. Can't be waiting forever.

I am more concerned about more options that may be offered for 2017, like privacy glass and auto dimming mirror. Yet, those are not enough to keep me from buying it. The biggest slap in the face would be if they add the widebody, hood vents, and offer it in Ultimate Green Pearl.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I will be buying the first one that hits my dealer lot. Little choice now, as I sold all my cars. Can't be waiting forever.

I am more concerned about more options that may be offered for 2017, like privacy glass and auto dimming mirror. Yet, those are not enough to keep me from buying it. The biggest slap in the face would be if they add the widebody, hood vents, and offer it in Ultimate Green Pearl.
Well yeah no sense in taking the bus waiting on something that MIGHT happen lol.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well yeah no sense in taking the bus waiting on something that MIGHT happen lol.

Valid point indeed. The MKII RS was essentially unchanged during it run.

Also, the AWD system isn't entirely new. It is a modified/upgraded version of the one used in the Land Rover Evoque.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I also think it's only fair to point out that, from my perspective, when you compare the FoRS to other cars it's competing with it has already improved upon them so it's probably not THAT likely we'll see any changes to the FoRS except possibly new colors.

The only other thing I'm expecting from Ford is more parts/packages to improve performance while not voiding your warranty. I don't see it being entirely unreasonable to think Ford Racing may offer warrantable staged packages similar to how Dodge offered on the SRT-4. Even though I don't think you NEED to improve the RS's performance, let's be hones: the car is practically BEGGING to be modified.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Imagine the butt hurt if they add new colors in 2017, but cut the Nitrous Blue from the lineup. The value of the 2016 in NB would hold better then though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Imagine the butt hurt if they add new colors in 2017, but cut the Nitrous Blue from the lineup. The value of the 2016 in NB would hold better then though.
I don't think any of the colors are bad but I know some people are clamoring for red, or the green from the previous RS.

·
Registered
367 Posts
More food for thought, there essentially zero changes for the 2009-2010 Focus RS. Except the RS500, which was a substantial premium over the reg RS.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Not to mention because the short time between 16 and 17 models its unlikely there will be major changes as they would have to modify the assembly line
More food for thought, there essentially zero changes for the 2009-2010 Focus RS. Except the RS500, which was a substantial premium over the reg RS.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts