Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since the materials cost of the oil and filter was pretty close to the price of just getting it done by a dealer, I went with the dealer. On the invoice I see some cryptic thing added called BG MOA. It's an "engine oil supplement" and it's marketed with lines like "In a recent survey, dealership service managers chose BG MOA® 8 to 1 over the next aftermarket supplier" before mentioning whatever it's supposed to do: https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/bg-moa/

I think most of us hear alarm bells when we read that. Allegedly this adds a 3rd party warranty on the engine, so if it blows up it's covered--in theory. Is this gonna **** up my engine? Should I get it out of there? Or is it harmless or even possibly beneficial?

·
Super Moderator
16,595 Posts
So since the materials cost of the oil and filter was pretty close to the price of just getting it done by a dealer, I went with the dealer. On the invoice I see some cryptic thing added called BG MOA. It's an "engine oil supplement" and it's marketed with lines like "In a recent survey, dealership service managers chose BG MOA® 8 to 1 over the next aftermarket supplier" before mentioning whatever it's supposed to do: https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/bg-moa/

I think most of us hear alarm bells when we read that. Allegedly this adds a 3rd party warranty on the engine, so if it blows up it's covered--in theory. Is this gonna **** up my engine? Should I get it out of there? Or is it harmless or even possibly beneficial?
So what was the added price of this additive? Should be fine but if there's any issues, keep that receipt for piece of mind.

·
Super Moderator
16,595 Posts
Check the oil level reading in your car right now? Lower than full? For some reason I have a feeling the dealership could've added only 5 qts of synthetic oil and 11 oz of this additive. So they would've saved a quart ($10) but charged for 6 qts.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

Dump it and refill with high quality oil of your choice to Ford specs. Oil additives in modern full synth oil are just snake oil ( excuse the pun) and used for dealer margin padding.

Ciao

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wouldn't waste your money changing the oil. The additive doesn't do anything when put it with decent oil, but at the same time it won't have any negatives. You're just wasting your money if you dump the fresh oil.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wouldn't waste your money changing the oil. The additive doesn't do anything when put it with decent oil, but at the same time it won't have any negatives. You're just wasting your money if you dump the fresh oil.
Good advice

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts