Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all know the deal, keys sitting right there on the desk in front of you, most papers signed, you looked at the car already all shiny and sparkling and THEN IT HAPPENS; the sale manger has the one more thing moment.

SO you want to protect that beauty right? How about our special poly-quantum coating system that will protect your care for 20 years and can't dent it with a jack hammer, only $799, and on and on
Extended warranty that you never really know what it covers till you try using it and see some small print that it does not cover items related to your car, huh?

So what's the good stuff, what's to avoid at all cost, how much to pay? or do you just grab your keys and run, fast out the door at that point.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Tire care from Ford should be a no brainer on this car. A Ford ESP to extend coverage for the fancy AWD system should be looked at as well. They will have pamphlets that spell out what's covered and deductibles etc... If you don't do business with a shady dealer most things should have value. I'm contemplating even getting a maintenance plan. Costs of everything just keep going up so if I can lock in lower than current costs thatd be nice. I would try for a 10% discount from whatever they say.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is is still 30 days from purchase to decide on the add-on's?

Does not the ESP have like 3 or 4 levels, which one are you thinking about.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Anything below premium isn't really with it. It goes from like 500 to 1000+ covered things. You can buy an ESP without any inspection as long as you're within warranty. Tire care has to be bought at delivery.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I'm hoping for pinstriping and a wooden shift knob. Hope the don't charge more than $400 for them. Really the only thing ide like Is undercoating.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I usually get the ESP-like coverage from my credit union. Costs about half and I've used them multiple times.

I lowered my 04 Mustang GT and some stuff started breaking and creaking, etc specifically from me lowering it, yet the credit union paid 2 grand to fix it.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I can assure you at a reputable dealer the mark up is not 80% lol. The Ford ESP is great because you get genuine Ford parts and its good at any Ford dealership. Don't know anything about credit union plans. I agree with skipping paint protection. I'm def gettingtire care for $500 it'll cover unlimited tires and rims. With tires going for $250+ each it should pay for itself in no time around here.

Also as a side note the profit being made doesn't matter at all as long as you find value in the product and the price for that value fair. It cracks me up how people take a magnifying glass to car buying but when you go grocery shopping or buy a phone I guarantee the profit margin is far far higher.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Point is they're getting enough of my money. :p

Paid for tire care on my fiesta and the oem tires were burned off at less than 20 thousand miles. I don't expect the pilot cups lasting anywhere near as long and I probably won't be replacing them with the same tire. I'll save myself the 500 bucks.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Tire care doesn't only cover the first tires as far as I know. It's years and mileage. Also the rims are the big thing. Ford OEM rims cost a fortune after the fact like $850 for one 20" "chrome" rim for an edge.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Any oem wheel is far too expensive haha. If I manage to damage my forged wheels bad enough I'll take that opportunity to purchase much nicer aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is not the tire replacement adjusted for age of tire. You would have to burn through 2 brand new tires to break even and 3 to be ahead in 3 years. Or like 6 half worn tires, not sure it is worth it.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
It's not burning through its road debris etc.. If you curb s rim and damage it and your tire it gets replaced. You run over a screw or whatever etc...with low profile tires this size I'm definitely getting it. The roads here are horrible I've picked up more than a few screws and pot holes caused a bubble in a brand new tire. You can do whatever you like but for $500 unlimited tire and rim replacement is a bargain around here.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Be careful, as always the devil is in the details:

From the Ford Tire Care Extended Service Plan brochure:

Wheels from the Everyday Hazards of the Road
• Covers all costs associated with the repair or replacement of a tire or wheel due to a road hazard, such as:
– Glass or metal in the road
– Potholes, debris, nails, blowouts, etc.
• Repairs or replaces flat tires due to a road hazard
• Replaces wheels damaged due to a road hazard (excludes cosmetic damage) (Jim: This would be curb rash or anything non-structural - scratches, gouges, messed up paint due to wrong cleaner applied, etc.)

• Taxes, labor costs, mounting and disposal, balancing fees and valve stems are covered
• Provides towing to the nearest Ford or
Lincoln dealership or tire repair facility, up
to $100 reimbursement
• Owner will be reimbursed 100% of the cost of a new tire, including mounting, balancing, new valve stem, tire disposal and sales tax as shown on the sales invoice

With Ford ESP TireCARE Coverage, You Avoid the “Gotchas” by Having Worry-Free Coverage
• No limits on claim benefits
• Covers replacement tires and wheels for the duration of contract
• Available on eligible new and used vehicles – at time of sale only
• No mileage limitations and up to seven years
of coverage
• No limit on occurrences
• Covers tires with run-flat technology
• If the tire is non-repairable and has more than 3/32" of tread depth remaining, reimbursement will be provided for the replacement of the damaged tire with a new tire of like kind, quality and cost (Jim: Sounds to me like you could end up with one different tire if that's what they had)

Checked some costs for reference:

Michelin Pilot Super Sports, $266 plus shipping
Ford OEM Focus ST wheels, 19"x8", $200.01 each plus shipping:
M-1007-P198MB.jpg

Jim

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Ya i said the rim and tire seal must be affected its not just cosmetic damage. Also those are escape titanium wheels but in black which I've never seen. They look nice!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
don't buy anything extra if you value your money.
most aftermarket undercoatings will void the factory corrosion perforation warranty. even if its dealer installed
vin etching costs $200+ at a dealer, or you can diy for $40 or less
most dealer paint protection is crap compared to what you could get from a good detailer.

all of the added crap is a mechanism to make the dealership/salesman/financial guy more money

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Be careful, as always the devil is in the details:

From the Ford Tire Care Extended Service Plan brochure:

Wheels from the Everyday Hazards of the Road
• Covers all costs associated with the repair or replacement of a tire or wheel due to a road hazard, such as:
– Glass or metal in the road
– Potholes, debris, nails, blowouts, etc.
• Repairs or replaces flat tires due to a road hazard
• Replaces wheels damaged due to a road hazard (excludes cosmetic damage) (Jim: This would be curb rash or anything non-structural - scratches, gouges, messed up paint due to wrong cleaner applied, etc.)

• Taxes, labor costs, mounting and disposal, balancing fees and valve stems are covered
• Provides towing to the nearest Ford or
Lincoln dealership or tire repair facility, up
to $100 reimbursement
• Owner will be reimbursed 100% of the cost of a new tire, including mounting, balancing, new valve stem, tire disposal and sales tax as shown on the sales invoice

With Ford ESP TireCARE Coverage, You Avoid the “Gotchas” by Having Worry-Free Coverage
• No limits on claim benefits
• Covers replacement tires and wheels for the duration of contract
• Available on eligible new and used vehicles – at time of sale only
• No mileage limitations and up to seven years
of coverage
• No limit on occurrences
• Covers tires with run-flat technology
• If the tire is non-repairable and has more than 3/32" of tread depth remaining, reimbursement will be provided for the replacement of the damaged tire with a new tire of like kind, quality and cost (Jim: Sounds to me like you could end up with one different tire if that's what they had)

Checked some costs for reference:

Michelin Pilot Super Sports, $266 plus shipping
Ford OEM Focus ST wheels, 19"x8", $200.01 each plus shipping:
View attachment 2387

Jim
An alternative:

I have AAA premier whch is about $105 a year one person and I get road hazard on tires about $15 -20 per tire.

AAA Premier = AAA Texas - benefit-comparison

This provides more benefits overall IMHO.

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
About this Discussion
82 Replies
26 Participants
Pginesi
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing