Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://jalopnik.com/dealership-employee-caught-on-dashcam-teaching-other-em-1834566471

People in the comments are saying he should use this evidence to play hardball with the dealership because they will bend over to avoid bad publicity. My question is, just how much can he ask for? What's a reasonable figure to demand? Free exchange for an unmolested 2018? A voucher for an oil change? A car wash and fluid top up? Maybe a set of Ford car mats?

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
A new clutch? They are very sensitive to slipping.

·
Registered
193 Posts
https://jalopnik.com/dealership-employee-caught-on-dashcam-teaching-other-em-1834566471

People in the comments are saying he should use this evidence to play hardball with the dealership because they will bend over to avoid bad publicity. My question is, just how much can he ask for? What's a reasonable figure to demand? Free exchange for an unmolested 2018? A voucher for an oil change? A car wash and fluid top up? Maybe a set of Ford car mats?
I am not sure what it would take to make the owner whole. From what I can tell nothing was damaged but if it was Hawk Ford would be responsible so yes it is there liability. I bought my 2010 Ford Focus from Hawk Ford and had no problems with them. The big cost to the Hawk Ford will be there reputation because now lots of car enthusiast will find out about this at some point and it could live on the Internet for a very long time. I left a message in the comments to see if this car belongs to someone that goes to the same LA Fitness as I. When ever I see the owner of that car I always say the same thing “Hey you’re driving my car”. The if it is the same car I will let everybody here know l.

The owner just replied and it is not the same car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just read this on Jalopnik, I'd be absolutely livid about this. This is a new clutch at a minimum; this like that guy who got his Mustang joyridden and doing burnouts last year.

·
Super Moderator
15,370 Posts
I still can't believe that this still happens, then again I can.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
On top of that the dealership falsely documented the work order to show no miles were driven. Easy to see why people don't trust dealers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Amazing how poorly dealers handle these situations. A new clutch and firing of the two joyriding guys would be a lot cheaper than all the negative publicity I'd think.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just read this on Jalopnik, I'd be absolutely livid about this. This is a new clutch at a minimum; this like that guy who got his Mustang joyridden and doing burnouts last year.
A new clutch alone would not be enough. That's another week with your car in their shop, opened up and molested when it could be sitting safely at home. Would need to throw in a set of Cup 2's on top of that.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
This is why I never take my car to the dealership and take pics of my odometer prior to having any work done.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
the dealership I took mine to for replacement of the wiper motors under warranty burned the hell out of my clutch and I got it on dashcam. only thing I got is a letter saying they will replace it free if it goes out.... which I'm sure they will deny authorizing the writing of

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
When my dealer replaced the head gasket the car kept stalling. They said the car was torn down so far it forgot how to be an RS. The cure was for them to drive it. The're a very old, honest, family owned dealership, but that sounds like a crock of dung! I drove it and she came around.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Absolutely unacceptable. I wonder how they'd like it if their doctor took their wife/girlfriend to teach a virgin friend how to do, you know, human reproduction things.

I'm always very anxious when my car's in someone else's hands especially when that someone likely doesn't give a flying f*ck about your car. I'm a german at heart when it comes to engineering so I'm motivated to learn to do everything myself.

At this point it appears the video has been taken down, likely because they've worked out a deal. Hopefully these f*ckers got their asses canned at least.

·
5,582 Posts
Maybe the RS owner should take one of their cars for a spin and flog it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Saw this too. Insane stuff but really common I feel like.

Does anyone know of any easy quick install dash cams you could install when taking the car in for service and then uninstall quickly too? Don’t really want a permanent one but this makes me want something

·
Registered
98 Posts
Years back, my brother had a modern Pontiac GTO that was at an independent collision center, getting some paint work done. When he picked up the car upon completion of work, the owner of the shop told my bro that his car had been out on a joy ride. Apparently after detailing the car, the shop owner's son took it out for 'half an hour', doing who knows what. Shop owner noticed the car had been driven by the next day, as the car wasn't as clean as it was the night before. Shop owner offered a steep discount on the work, and a signed statement to fix any damages my brother might incur due to the joy ride.

My brother took the deal and never had any issues with the car. Car had been driven about 15 miles, based on odometer reading. It is terrible that the car was taken on a joy ride, but the owner brought attention to the issue. My brother would never have known, unless he would have seen the act.

My brother claimed, there isn't much they could do to that car that he personally wouldn't do on a whim, lol!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Saw this too. Insane stuff but really common I feel like.

Does anyone know of any easy quick install dash cams you could install when taking the car in for service and then uninstall quickly too? Don’t really want a permanent one but this makes me want something
With all the idiots on the road, a dashcam is almost required now. It's nice to have video proof that the asshole that hit you was texting and not paying any attention to the road, because you know they are going to deny it and try and blame you. Not once have I regretted installing a dashcam, and that will be one of the first 'mods' on any future car.

·
Registered
995 Posts
My brother claimed, there isn't much they could do to that car that he personally wouldn't do on a whim, lol!
This is my mantra. Sure I don’t grind my gears or slip my clutch, but there’s no way some tech can drive my car as hard as I do

·
Registered
202 Posts
With all the idiots on the road, a dashcam is almost required now. It's nice to have video proof that the asshole that hit you was texting and not paying any attention to the road, because you know they are going to deny it and try and blame you. Not once have I regretted installing a dashcam, and that will be one of the first 'mods' on any future car.
exactly, especially sh*tboxes seem to be the most dangerous for some reason. they sure don't care about their car why should they care about someone else's. I've come to accept the fact that average drivers are idiots and they're the majority. they point fingers at more capable cars going 140km/h in a straight line on an empty highway saying it's dangerous while they're texting, or eating a burger, while driving.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
17 Participants
SilverWings-L
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing