Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title states, I'll be looking to get ~something~ to monitor the car for both insurance and safety concerns, but I don't have any dash cam knowledge (outside of the fact that nearly everyone in Russia has one).

Do you personally use a dash cam? If so, which brands/models do you recommend? Do you have any clips worth sharing?

Also, shoutout to the dashcam subreddit for all of your terrible driver needs: https://www.reddit.com/r/Roadcam

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not the best economical or performing dash cam on the market but certainly best looking one imo.
www.blackvue.com

I have one each of my two cars and I don't have any complaints.
I would get DR650GW 2CH.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
I've used a couple with a cell phone in my car while working. Not bad, not great, but work. My cell phone is in a quad lock case mounted to a custom GoPro + quad lock mount. Only issue I've had is that with phone doing music, navigation, hot spot and dash cam it gets laggy and with low output chargers it will discharge during use, its a Galaxy S4 with C10 64GB SD card. Power signal auto toggles the hotspot and music playback through tasker. Think app is called dash cam, but can't remember and that phone is in the car right now.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have HD dash camera ( DOD LS300W) and I'm happy with it. It works well in extremely low temps (single digits) and high temps (summers when car gets heated over 100F). It's a bit older version but picture is great for $200 camera (both day and night). I plan on getting something like BlackVue DR650GW-2CH or at least in that rank. My experience using few dashboard cameras is, you get what you pay for. So it pays off to pay some extra but in return you will have liable recording device.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Got something like this one
http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1Bh4rIXXXXXc.XFXXq6xXFXXXE/Original-GPS-dash-cam-6000B-Car-DVR-Android-4-0-4-3-Rearview-Mirror-Camera-Recorder.jpg

Video sample:
Top left is the rear view
Bottom right is the front view

Pro:
- in mirror screen
- Front is 1080
- Kinda of hidden because it act as the rear view mirror
- use Micro SD and auto recycle videos (well almost all dash cam does)
- Easy install
- Micro USB plug as power source

Con:
- It place on top of the stock mirror so it does get quite big
- Rear camera is very low Res.
- the mirror is big but doesn't give you a wide view because it got closer to your as it sit on top on the stock mirror
- The front camera is on one side of the mirror so it doesn't give you a prefect center view
- The front camera is at the passenger side of the back of the mirror so the video looks more like passenger view than driver's.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Blackvue, as others mentioned, is very popular since it can be dual channel, has gps and wifi to stream directly to your phone, and looks good.

Also, someone mentioned to me that you need to be weary of the power source/batteries in dash cams as cheaper ones can be destroyed by extreme heat. I think the blackvue one uses high temp capacitors. Not sure though.

I have seen others use mobius action cams as cheap alternatives.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Blackvue, as others mentioned, is very popular since it can be dual channel, has gps and wifi to stream directly to your phone, and looks good.

Also, someone mentioned to me that you need to be weary of the power source/batteries in dash cams as cheaper ones can be destroyed by extreme heat. I think the blackvue one uses high temp capacitors. Not sure though.

I have seen others use mobius action cams as cheap alternatives.
I've read a few reviews that complain about the blackvue dying in high temperatures when using their "parking mode". The max operating temp listed in the manual is 160°F. I'm not sure if that's ambient temp or the unit itself.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I've read a few reviews that complain about the blackvue dying in high temperatures when using their "parking mode". The max operating temp listed in the manual is 160°F. I'm not sure if that's ambient temp or the unit itself.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely have to put some research into this before my car arrives. I regret not putting one in my current car, but at this point I might as well focus on getting one that will work in the focus

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I've mostly seen Blackvue suggested but I don't use one. I've often though about it.. but I'd either have to buy 5 or more it around a lot.. and I'm a member of Team Lazy.. so yeah...

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I've mostly seen Blackvue suggested but I don't use one. I've often though about it.. but I'd either have to buy 5 or more it around a lot.. and I'm a member of Team Lazy.. so yeah...
I only want one for my daily. I'm not worried about toys that are parked. I'm just worried about idiots on the road. I drive ~24k miles per year for work alone and I live in downtown Philadelphia so I'm always surrounded by an excessive amount of people who purchased their license at K-Mart.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I only want one for my daily. I'm not worried about toys that are parked. I'm just worried about idiots on the road. I drive ~24k miles per year for work alone and I live in downtown Philadelphia so I'm always surrounded by an excessive amount of people who purchased their license at K-Mart.
I drive most of my cars (not the track or race car obviously) usually to work once every two weeks and split DD between two vehicles usually. Hate to have cars sitting doing nothing :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
So what is the best bang for the buck Dash Cam?
I don't use Smart Phones...unless in a place with wifi.

Would like to a camera for Safety purposes in case of accident.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I run this R310 in 3 of my 4 vehicles and love it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PNZBRM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2MOHV7NU7WGZU&coliid=I30ZUQR0SR3N5V&psc=1.

It's hard to beat at $60 too. I like how it has two cameras that have adjustable angle, along with the interior one having night vision. One other benefit is you can turn the screen off while it's running, so you don't have a bright screen bothering you at night. It also has GPS to track location and speed. Only negatives are, the speed is only in kph, the quality doesn't quite seem like 720p, but isn't bad and to play or save the videos or GPS info on your PC, you need to use their built in software, but once you save it locally as an AVI file, you can play it with any media player.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I didn't think i would need a dash cam until now. I lost my WRX getting cut off by a guy who took off... no one got the plates. If i had one of these cams that guy would've been caught. Keep the suggestions coming :)

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
So what is the best bang for the buck Dash Cam?
I don't use Smart Phones...unless in a place with wifi.

Would like to a camera for Safety purposes in case of accident.
Camera provides no safety in an accident, just evidence (that is worth more than your word) concerning events that lead to accident.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Camera provides no safety in an accident, just evidence (that is worth more than your word) concerning events that lead to accident.
Yep. A co worker had his paid for many times over after an accident he had where the car in front floored it in reverse and slammed into him. The lady who did it was all apologetic until the police got there then she went into this big cry fest about her injuries and how he never touched the brakes, how she needs an ambulance, etc, etc, etc. He let her talk I guess and eventually when the cop came over to get his story he just pointed at the camera and turned the video over. The lady's reaction was priceless according to him haha I would have loved to have seen it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
what's the difference between the blackvue 650 vs 3500?

as I saw in a video, the 3500 doesn't have GPS....and I dont' know why anyone would want GPS.

If you travel 35 in a 30 mph zone...and you got into an accident that is not your fault, they can point out that you were speeding.

It sounds like Blackvue 650 2ch is great for a clean install, and if you want Parking mode.
I may actually purchase a unit to test out on my S2000, and then upgrade to the power box for parking mode if the unit works well by itself.

1 - 20 of 279 Posts