Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently looking to make some moves on a certified 2017 Focus RS with 14k miles. Basically Ive been told the car is stock. I can confirm that the engine bay looks untouched from pictures (no air filter or fuel rail)
The only concern is that on the back with the focus badge is a flex fuel badge. I am assuming the reason this badge is on the car is because its tuned for e85. But the dealership still certified it? So it still has a warranty.
Basically looking for insight on how I might approach this, if this is something I should stay away from or should it not cause any problems. Any way I can check if the car is actually equipped to run e85?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Our cars cant run e85 without a port fuel injectors (most common), or upgrades to the High pressure fuel pump. You can run up to E30-E40 without fuel delivery upgrades.

Ill take a look at my engine harness, but that one looks like it might had been unwrapped to tap the port injector connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Check or ask for pics of the fuel line going from the hard line by the firewall, to the back of the high pressure fuel pump. If the car was running E85 for any extended amount of time, then the line will either be leaking, or it will have been replaced by a hose that's E85 rated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check or ask for pics of the fuel line going from the hard line by the firewall, to the back of the high pressure fuel pump. If the car was running E85 for any extended amount of time, then the line will either be leaking, or it will have been replaced by a hose that's E85 rated.
He also sent me these. Hopefully these are what your looking for

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
In the second pic I can see the tag on the OEM line that says "engine connection." So it is a factory line to the HPFP, just might want to make sure there is no corrosion on that connection.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the second pic I can see the tag on the OEM line that says "engine connection." So it is a factory line to the HPFP, just might want to make sure there is no corrosion on that connection.
Thank you very much for that. It makes me feel alot better moving forward to purchase the car hopfully it doesnt sell before Saturday! Any other opinions on the pictures? I really appreciate all your guys help

·
Registered
314 Posts
To me it looks and sounds like it has been modified and returned to stock. You see lots of guys selling aftermarket parts on here after returning their car to stock to sell/trade.
The dealer should be able to scan if its ever had a tune. If it had flex fuel, may have been many other mods as well.
Hard to interpret if its going to be an issue or not, and comes down to what you are personally comfortable with.
I have no issue with buying a modded or returned to stock vehicle - as long as I know what was done and who did it.... Not all tunes/mods are the same.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Our cars cant run e85 without a port fuel injectors (most common), or upgrades to the High pressure fuel pump. You can run up to E30-E40 without fuel delivery upgrades.

Ill take a look at my engine harness, but that one looks like it might had been unwrapped to tap the port injector connections.

Here is my engine under the cover.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would say it has been modified and returned to stock. With the badge and a bolt is missing from the intake in the first pic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To me it looks and sounds like it has been modified and returned to stock. You see lots of guys selling aftermarket parts on here after returning their car to stock to sell/trade.
The dealer should be able to scan if its ever had a tune. If it had flex fuel, may have been many other mods as well.
Hard to interpret if its going to be an issue or not, and comes down to what you are personally comfortable with.
I have no issue with buying a modded or returned to stock vehicle - as long as I know what was done and who did it.... Not all tunes/mods are the same.
Ya I am pretty sure thats what happened to it. But regardless my only concern is that the present state of the car is stock. Since it was certified and has an extended warranty I feel much more comfortable buying the car. Once I go down I will make sure to check the fuel line for corrosion

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would say it has been modified and returned to stock. With the badge and a bolt is missing from the intake in the first pic.
Do you guys believe it would be risky to buy a previously modified RS?
It’s up to you. If it’s certified pre owned from Ford you might be good. But if it has issues is the dealer close? Does the dealer always provide a loaner vehicle when warranty repairs are needed? Those would be two big factors in determining if you should take it without knowing the history.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't see a missing bolt

Do you guys believe it would be risky to buy a previously modified RS?
Pm @Hoonigan with the vin and he may be able to help you out
I see it. View attachment 329864
You are correct sir.
So with the evidence presented, it was almost definitely tuned with bolt ons that have been replaced by the oem parts and traded in to your dealer. I would pass. Also, reconsider having to get the sunroof. They are always more trouble than they're worth

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't see a missing bolt

Pm @Hoonigan with the vin and he may be able to help you out
What exactly would he be able to help me with? Not trying to be rude but im new here, regardless I will PM him.

It’s up to you. If it’s certified pre owned from Ford you might be good. But if it has issues is the dealer close? Does the dealer always provide a loaner vehicle when warranty repairs are needed? Those would be two big factors in determining if you should take it without knowing the history.
Dealer isn't close but shouldn't I be able to take it to any ford dealership for service? I understand where your coming from though.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
16 Participants
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing