Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Motor Company chooses Tenneco’s Dual Mode system to deliver drivers the choice between sport and track suspensions

Dual_Mode.jpg

Dual Mode uses an intelligent valve in the shock absorber that opens or closes to provide firmer damping for increased road holding when desired.

September 16, 2015 04:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time

FRANKFURT, Germany--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Tenneco announced today at the 2015 Frankfurt Motor Show that Ford has selected the company’s Dual Mode technology for its 2016 Ford Focus RS.

“We are delighted that Ford has chosen to debut our Dual Mode suspension on its first-ever RS model equipped with selectable drive modes”

Dual Mode, part of the Monroe® Intelligent Suspension portfolio, uses an intelligent valve in the shock absorber that opens or closes to provide firmer damping for increased road holding when desired. The driver can switch between standard or sport settings via a dashboard button depending on ride preference or driving situation. In addition to enhancing driving pleasure, Dual Mode provides an increased feeling of security in the sport setting under challenging road or driving conditions.

“We are delighted that Ford has chosen to debut our Dual Mode suspension on its first-ever RS model equipped with selectable drive modes,” said Sandro Paparelli, vice president and general manager, Tenneco Europe Ride Performance. “We are particularly proud to participate in the development of the Focus RS suspension as the exciting RS range is known for setting technology trends.”

Dual Mode offers an enhanced ride experience at minimal system cost, making dynamic suspension systems accessible to the small and mid-sized vehicle segment. “Ford’s passion for innovation and its reputation for migrating advanced technologies to mainstream vehicles should help drive dynamic suspension into wider market segments as drivers increasingly desire more driving excitement and control,” Paparelli added.

Tenneco’s Dual Mode technology will be installed on the front and rear dampers of the Focus RS, production of which is expected to start in late 2015. The high performance road car will be produced in Europe and be available worldwide.

Ford is the first of two global vehicle manufacturers who have chosen Tenneco’s Dual Mode suspension.

Tenneco is displaying these and other ride performance technologies at its exhibit during the 2015 Frankfurt Motor Show, September 15-27, Hall 5.1, Stand A20.

About Monroe® Intelligent Suspension:

Dual Mode is part of the Monroe® Intelligent Suspension portfolio. This includes adaptive suspension solutions for compact cars (Dual Mode) and semi-active solutions with external valve (CVSAe), internal valve (CVSAi) and two independent valves (CVSA2) for mid-range and higher-end cars. The portfolio also includes CVSA2/Kinetic and ACOCAR active suspension solutions for premium luxury cars, high-end sports cars and SUVs with off-road capability. Visit Monroe® Intelligent Suspension | Tenneco Inc. for more information.

Tenneco Introduces New Adaptive Damping Technology on the Ford Focus RS High Performance Road Car - MarketWatch

·
Registered
367 Posts
Be nice if there is a true "track" level, "normal" level, and a "comfort" level ... but probably just the first 2.
I think going to the three level would cost too much. I feel Ford went this route as it bought a great benefit for minimal cost.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
GKN engineer said the sport mode is far too stiff for normal roads. I'm pumped about this.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
wonder what other car is getting this suspension.

pretty pumped about this setup. at this point in my life the less I feel I need to modify the car the better. at least for now.

I'm sure eventually the mod bug will bite, but so far on paper I don't see much if at all to modify. It comes like a modded stage 2 STi but better.......a lot better. 330 whp in my STi scoots around just fine so the RS with 345 bhp still sounds like a very solid 300 whp car and that's a great start. If it's clser to 345 whp stock then I'm super happy. The dual mode shocks are very welcome as I don't always need super stiff suspension. There are a lot of reasons for me to leave it alone including the tune.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is it just the dampening rates are adjustable or are ride heights also lowered

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
Suspension:
Normal, Track (Circuit/Road Race), Rally (Off Road)

Exhaust:
Normal, Sport (loud), Track (flames/straight pipe)

AWD:
Eco, Performance, Drift

Traction Control:
On, Off

:D:D

·
Registered
716 Posts
Suspension:
Normal, Track (Circuit/Road Race), Rally (Off Road)

Exhaust:

AWD:
Eco, Performance, Drift

Traction Control:
On, Off

You sure about that? Thought there were only 2 dampening modes, Normal and Track.

2 Exhaust modes. Normal and track.

A few drivetrain modes, Normal, Sport, and Track.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Suspension:
Exhaust:

The flame mode should help with the damn tailgaters, wonder if I can augment it a little??

Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
wonder what other car is getting this suspension.

pretty pumped about this setup. at this point in my life the less I feel I need to modify the car the better. at least for now.
Do you mean this specific suspension on other Ford models? If not, there have been many manufacturers already using adjustable suspension. Porsche, BMW, VW...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
Boats & Hoes
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing