Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Damaged (defective?) Front Bumper

13K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  SuperDave42 
#1 ·
Anyone else with an RS have damaged lower mounting clip holes on the front bumper in the wheel wells? Already contacted Ford to see what they can/will do.

The bumper is extremely thin around these mounting clips, and broke on both sides of my car. Not sure how it happened, I haven't scraped on anything, haven't driven in extreme conditions, and haven't even taken it on the track yet.

Bumper Automotive exterior
Blue Footwear Turquoise Shoe Electric blue
Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Synthetic rubber Auto part

See less See more
#2 ·
I never looked at them until some debris hit my front bumper on the freeway two nights ago :( When I assessed the damage the next morning I noticed right away that the hole were like this, so I wonder if that is by design? In any case I need a new bumper now that I have cracks underneath... but replacement parts are unavailable at this point as far as I can tell. I will contact my dealer and post an update. Let me know what your dealer says, let's hope we have some luck on this, thank you!

#3 ·
Similar to problems with WRX front bumper mounts! That's why we use zip ties on the rally car!

#5 ·
Hmmm, when mine comes in, I'm almost thinking I'd install some oversized washers just to reinforce the location?

Looks to me to be a design defect.

#6 ·
Looks like anything hitting those "wind deflectors" (at least that's we call them in the Lexus world) at speed could make that type of damage. Could even have been a high speed bump. This is why I cut my down to be flush with undertray of my Lexus.

#7 ·
Pretty sure this is what happened to mine during shipping. I got a call from my dealer this week saying the car has arrived but there was some shipping damage to the front bumper, something cracked on the underside or something like that (not too sure, salesman didn't seem to know either). What exactly does this part do? Or rather, what's at risk from the part breaking?

#8 ·
I just checked mine and I don't have any of this damage. I chimed in because yours and mine came via the same train yard and most likely the same trucking outfit. However, the trucking ramps might have been at a different angle at your dealership. Any scrubbing marks on the underside?

#17 ·
Surprised nobody else has these clips mounts broke, there is literally only 1/4" or less holding it there.

Slight update, dealership had me contact Ford Customer Service. Initially, customer service (not knowing about the RS) filed the issue under buyback (lemon law) because of shipping damage.

Within 24hrs the regional rep called me and we talked about the issue and damage. Again, the regional customer service rep didn't know what makes the RS special, but said they will get a replacement bumper ordered and expedited. They will be following up within a week on a status update, but I expect the bumper to be on backorder.

#20 ·
Whew.

You guys made me get out of my comfy air-cooled office to go outside and check the clips.

All good so far, but can see how flimsy that spot is. One good misjudgment away from broken ****.

#21 ·
Anyone else with an RS have damaged lower mounting clip holes on the front bumper in the wheel wells? Already contacted Ford to see what they can/will do.

The bumper is extremely thin around these mounting clips, and broke on both sides of my car. Not sure how it happened, I haven't scraped on anything, haven't driven in extreme conditions, and haven't even taken it on the track yet.

View attachment 27305 View attachment 27313 View attachment 27321
I had basically the exact same issue. With absolutely ZERO evidence of anything. No scrapes, no scuffs, nothing. I noticed it when doing my inspection at the dealer. Bumper replacement on order. I can't figure it out. This is not the first RS the dealership received. The sales manager as super anal about protecting the car, kept it in a separate non-public storage area, left all shipping wrap on, etc. As I asked him to do. My theory based on which clip areas were broken. Same wheel well area, plus one other further along the bumper. BUT skipping the one in the middle???? Maybe when they were pulling the shipping wrap off they pulled so hard it moved the skin and popped the mounting hole? I can't figure out any other explanation as every other part of the bumper is pristine, as well as under it, tray area, etc.

So, now I wait for a replacement. They don't come pre-painted, so hoping it matches properly when done. Then more delay time for it to cure before I can have correction/PPF applied. Ford is really testing the patience on this.

Can you imagine the same kind of s*** happening when they deliver GTs? People will go insane.

#24 ·
I've been dealing with mine being broken like this for a loooong time. Now it's paid off I want to start adding some Aero flair lol and now the broken bumper is an eye sore. I was thinking of bonding a Stainless washer to the back to reinforce the hole. I will probably go for "shim stock" so it can be thin so it works good with the stock push rivet. I would guess by now a LOT of RS owners would be seeing a failure in this area by now. I have 68K miles on mine now.
I just have to do a little more searching on a good adhesive to go with. If I get a solution that looks good I'll post it back here.

#26 ·
yeah mine have been toast for about 4 years now and agree, but now I'll be adding visual cues that take your eyes right to the zone. perhaps my OCD is at work lol. anyway simple fix. kinds Lame that ford made it that thin in the area and that I went with the #special paint lol. to me, It's not worth spending more than $30 and a couple hours time to cure it. Due to thin webbing in that spot I think the Stainless washer is the way.

I Love this car still

Reactions: 320icar