Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else with an RS have damaged lower mounting clip holes on the front bumper in the wheel wells? Already contacted Ford to see what they can/will do.

The bumper is extremely thin around these mounting clips, and broke on both sides of my car. Not sure how it happened, I haven't scraped on anything, haven't driven in extreme conditions, and haven't even taken it on the track yet.

20160713_212808.jpg 20160713_212846.jpg 20160713_212917.jpg

·
Registered
199 Posts
I never looked at them until some debris hit my front bumper on the freeway two nights ago :( When I assessed the damage the next morning I noticed right away that the hole were like this, so I wonder if that is by design? In any case I need a new bumper now that I have cracks underneath... but replacement parts are unavailable at this point as far as I can tell. I will contact my dealer and post an update. Let me know what your dealer says, let's hope we have some luck on this, thank you!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Similar to problems with WRX front bumper mounts! That's why we use zip ties on the rally car!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hmmm, when mine comes in, I'm almost thinking I'd install some oversized washers just to reinforce the location?

Looks to me to be a design defect.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Looks like anything hitting those "wind deflectors" (at least that's we call them in the Lexus world) at speed could make that type of damage. Could even have been a high speed bump. This is why I cut my down to be flush with undertray of my Lexus.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Pretty sure this is what happened to mine during shipping. I got a call from my dealer this week saying the car has arrived but there was some shipping damage to the front bumper, something cracked on the underside or something like that (not too sure, salesman didn't seem to know either). What exactly does this part do? Or rather, what's at risk from the part breaking?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just checked mine and I don't have any of this damage. I chimed in because yours and mine came via the same train yard and most likely the same trucking outfit. However, the trucking ramps might have been at a different angle at your dealership. Any scrubbing marks on the underside?

·
Registered
268 Posts
well something definitely hit it. You can see the damage in the bottom picture. Weird to hit the inside of the bumper like that though.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Did it scrap when it was being unloaded from the hauler???
Dane Focus RS 005.JPG
Because it's really low.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Surprised nobody else has these clips mounts broke, there is literally only 1/4" or less holding it there.

Slight update, dealership had me contact Ford Customer Service. Initially, customer service (not knowing about the RS) filed the issue under buyback (lemon law) because of shipping damage.

Within 24hrs the regional rep called me and we talked about the issue and damage. Again, the regional customer service rep didn't know what makes the RS special, but said they will get a replacement bumper ordered and expedited. They will be following up within a week on a status update, but I expect the bumper to be on backorder.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went in for an inspection last Friday, and the dealership ordered the part. Unfortunately, they misunderstood the issue, and the part they ordered was just replacement clips :/

I just sent Ford these pictures last night:
20160726_200717.jpg 20160726_200550.jpg

·
Registered
476 Posts
Whew.

You guys made me get out of my comfy air-cooled office to go outside and check the clips.

All good so far, but can see how flimsy that spot is. One good misjudgment away from broken ****.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts