Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little too much camber and highway driving has forced me to start looking for a new set of tires, and a fresh alignment, lol. Michelin PS4s’ are pretty much burnt out though so I’m not bummed out. I don’t mean to beat a dead horse please hear me out, haha.

I’ve watched a bunch of reviews (particularly the Tyre Reviews YT channel) and dug around on the web to find out there’s a lot of new choices for tires. Goodyear has been releasing / updating their Eagle F1 line of tires, Continental has their ExtremeContact and of 08SEP is releasing their new SportContact 7, and Bridgestone has just released the new Potenza Sport. The “budget” tire folks are also coming out with updates. So I’ve been thinking of trying out something new to compare the Michelin’s to. It’s also hard to find the PS4s right now. I’m Particularly thinking about testing out the Conti ExtremeContact’s.

What are you think? What are you running / have ran in the past? Any one have experience with both (or the other) manufacturers that can give comparisons? I’m guessing the SportContact 7 will try to rival the PS4(s). Those new Bridgestone’s look cool too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
As a great all around tires, Michelin's AS4s are awesome. Only a step down in grip and sidewall flexion from the SC2s. Just a fantastic tire in dry, wet and snow. Well worth it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yokohama Advan Apex V601. Liking them more than Michelin Pilot Sport 4s for about 75% of the cost.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!

Seems split between the Michelin’s and Conti’s for now. I’ve been leaving towards the Conti’s because I’ve just burned through the Michelin’s and want to try something different but similar. Want to get some comparisons between the Michelin’s and Conti’s.

Also, I’m located in Central California so all seasons aren’t a must for me. Particularly interested in the “ultra - high performance” tires because I’m able to run them year round without problems, thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Conti EC DWS06 Plus for me----haven't had 'em in the snow yet.
I have had them in the snow. It's OK, but I'm comparing that to the winter tire/wheel option for the RS that is just so good on snow/ice. I can't speak to All-season to All-season on snow since I've only only run other all-season tires in snow on my FWD or RWD cars, so no fair comparison can be made.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
If you live in a warm region where you don't have to worry about sub 40°F temps, I don't know why you wouldn't go with Michelin PS4S tires.

Successor to the PSS, and still the drivers car benchmark for a street tire with long life. I just ordered a set for my RS's new rims.

·
Registered
2016 Frozen White RS
1 Posts
I run Michelin pilot sport 4s' and they are fantastic tires. They are a little more than some of the other tires, but they are the best I have had

·
Registered
366 Posts
My local Bay Area America's Tire store had 7 PS4S tires in stock a few weeks ago
If you live in a warm region where you don't have to worry about sub 40°F temps, I don't know why you wouldn't go with Michelin PS4S tires.

Successor to the PSS, and still the drivers car benchmark for a street tire with long life. I just ordered a set for my RS's new rims.
There is still a dilemma - the 40°F is not something that doesn't happen for Central/Northern California - even if you are close to the ocean there are valleys that do get to low/mid-30s during the night for a week or two during the winter. So then do you just not drive the car during these days (mornings), do you drive slowly at the start and hope that Michelin has built in some margin in their recommendations, or switch to all-season performance tires for that part of the year (not very cost-effective).

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
My local Bay Area America's Tire store had 7 PS4S tires in stock a few weeks ago

There is still a dilemma - the 40°F is not something that doesn't happen for Central/Northern California - even if you are close to the ocean there are valleys that do get to low/mid-30s during the night for a week or two during the winter. So then do you just not drive the car during these days (mornings), do you drive slowly at the start and hope that Michelin has built in some margin in their recommendations, or switch to all-season performance tires for that part of the year (not very cost-effective).
The tires will work as long as it stays above 30°F. Their glass temperature is below 30°F. Between 30-40° grip is slim, but workable for daily driving. You won't risk cracking them. Drive cautiously, and its fine.

Reactions: dejan

·
Registered
197 Posts
Eh maybe don't take advice from me, but when I lived in texas and ran summers year round, we'd get an occasional random low in the teens. Never cracked a ps4s or rsrr. I just drove easy. Still would steer better and stop in a third of the time as pulling a loaded trailer with my truck in good weather.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I have had the PSS in the teens on my original Focus ST, they never cracked.

If it snowed, even in 35-40° weather, you were also screwed.

But really, below 25° the tires became down-right sketchy, with flat spots that needed to be "worked out" as you drove the car. The rubber was NOT happy.

With the RS, I had a set of snow tires from the get-go. But occasionally, Mother Nature doesn't cooperate and I get hit with an unseasabnly cold day. Which is why I have taken to switching up in November, and running the winters until mid-march to mid April. All depends on the weather.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The tires will work as long as it stays above 30°F. Their glass temperature is below 30°F. Between 30-40° grip is slim, but workable for daily driving. You won't risk cracking them. Drive cautiously, and its fine.
Thanks for the data point - this is exactly the reason why a few years ago I sent a formal request to Michelin to get the material data sheet for the PSS and they told me that it was proprietary information and would not share with a private party... I can't believe this is such a big secret - what is the actual temperature range of a tire that you buy for your car.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks!

Seems split between the Michelin’s and Conti’s for now. I’ve been leaving towards the Conti’s because I’ve just burned through the Michelin’s and want to try something different but similar. Want to get some comparisons between the Michelin’s and Conti’s.

Also, I’m located in Central California so all seasons aren’t a must for me. Particularly interested in the “ultra - high performance” tires because I’m able to run them year round without problems, thanks!
Get on the tirerack.com, look up tires for your RS, find the Michelins and Contis and check the box to compare them (not the be all end all in assessments, but I find them pretty useful as so much of the rating is from actual users). Good luck!

@ControlNode----TY! Had a real early VIN ST for 8 years prior to the RS. Always ran General Ultimax Arctics during the winter months---figured I'd give an all season a try; what with the RS having AWD and the last couple of winters in my part of MI have been fairly mild. Famous last words! ;)

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Yeah, with tires its important to understand the difference between Glass Temperature, and their operating temperature.

The operating temp on a PSS or PS4S might be 40°F+, but their glass temp is somewhere sub 25°F.

Think of a tires traction envelope as a bell curve.

The workable temps for ps4s are probably 40°-140° or so. Not sure on the high end. Just outside of the lower limit, you can work the tires, if careful. Below glass temp, you should NOT be on the at all. before they get to cracking, the rubber WILL get to zero traction.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Yea the Michelin’s are pretty awesome, I was just interested in seeing how a different tire felt to compare to the Michelin’s. In my head the variety exists so why not? Also with the new tires coming from Bridgestone and Conti I’m assuming they’re getting close to a PS4s so I wanted to see for myself you know? The Conti SportContact 7’s will be really cool I think and may force Michelin to push out an update.

This is true, In Sacramento winter temps average high 40s over night but can get to mid 30s so it is a concern I haven’t thought about. But then again the car originally came with Cup 2’s that I ran over the 2019-20 winter (through some pretty stormy weeks) and ran PS4s’ over the 2020-21 season. Had zero issues. PS4s wet weather handling is surprising, light to medium rain still handles like it’s dry and grip levels are much higher than expected.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Font Publication Terrestrial plant Number Screenshot

Continental’s specifically calling out Mk3 RS for the new SportContact 7, should be interesting. Can’t find them on shelves yet but hoping to pick up a set.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts