Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone every removed the cylinder head and left the turbo installed in vehicle by removing the turbo inlet flange studs? i'll be replacing the HG this next week. would like to avoid removing the PTU if possible. Thanks in advance!

****DISCLAIMER****

- warranty is not a concern, car is modified and mainly used for track days/Autox

- i have 15+ years of experience, 6 years with Mercedes Benz as a master certified technician

- i have all required factory tools/service information

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't do it, since I think the turbo isn't supported by brackets. I've seen this done on diesel heads too. But if you're in the guts of the engine bay already, wouldn't it be easier to just get it out of the way?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see why you couldn't do it, since I think the turbo isn't supported by brackets. I've seen this done on diesel heads too. But if you're in the guts of the engine bay already, wouldn't it be easier to just get it out of the way?
As much as id love to have it out of the way removing the turbo would require disassembling front suspension, removing the transfer case, front axles, and half shaft as per Fords Service Procedure. If i can sneak the head out by extracting and replacing flange studs sounds like a much better option to me. Was hoping to find a Ford tech on here who's "Flat Rated" a few of them... lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
IMG_20180416_205629.jpg
IMG_20180609_205637.jpg
I have removed the head with turbo in place a couple times. Have to work a bit on the passenger side to lower the engine enough to get the timing cover and chains off. Other than that its straight forward. I left the studs in the headafold and just lifted the head and came forward with it. Ford provided information on the head gasket recall that breaks it down a bit. I have quite a few pictures of going through it I can share if you want. Just PM me.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Anyone every removed the cylinder head and left the turbo installed in vehicle by removing the turbo inlet flange studs? i'll be replacing the HG this next week. would like to avoid removing the PTU if possible. Thanks in advance!

****DISCLAIMER****

- warranty is not a concern, car is modified and mainly used for track days/Autox

- i have 15+ years of experience, 6 years with Mercedes Benz as a master certified technician

- i have all required factory tools/service information
Its the approved Ford procedure for the HG recall. They even have a training video for it. Thats why you remove the 2 upper turbo mount studs from the head and not just the nuts to facilitate the process. Great care needs to be taken though to not damage the turbo oil drain line and other turbo oil and water lines.

Ciao

·
Registered
11 Posts
View attachment 325096
View attachment 325098
I have removed the head with turbo in place a couple times. Have to work a bit on the passenger side to lower the engine enough to get the timing cover and chains off. Other than that its straight forward. I left the studs in the headafold and just lifted the head and came forward with it. Ford provided information on the head gasket recall that breaks it down a bit. I have quite a few pictures of going through it I can share if you want. Just PM me.
I would love some of those pics as well. As I believe I may be doing a head gasket as well. My head gasket blew after it had been changed in January. I don’t think there covering because of it not being tuned on e30.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts