Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Focus RS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After reading all the threads I decided to finally pull the trigger on a hitch. I went with the curt option with the smaller receiver so it was “less” noticeable under the rear valence.

I wanted to post some pictures during the process because when going through other threads I wanted to see more pics of the cutting before jumping in. Hopefully this will show anyone thinking about doing it a little more.

Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Wheel

Before:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Wood

After:
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

A note about one thing that I didn’t find on other posts is that you actually have to cut part of the actual bumper which I wasn’t too excited about. It’s the part sandwiched between the heat shield and the rear valence.

Also, a lot of people have complain about the valence flexing. Cutting it more into the strake relieves this and I think made it look a lot cleaner. I didn’t get the angle right so could’ve taken off less material. (I’ll need to take a better picture showing this)

Hood Automotive tire Light Blue Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Wheel

Wheel Tire Bicycle Sky Land vehicle

So far I’ve been happy with the bike rack on it. Two bikes looks pretty damn bouncy so I might try and make a brace to the rear diff housing like the Torklift. My rack keeps my bike far enough away from the exhaust too so I’m not overly worried about melting my tires. The touch test after 30min drives seems plenty good. I’m going to get some stick on temp gauges for mid-summer longer drivers to monitor how hot it gets back there.

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
Pretty unobtrusive! Nice install!

PS: I"ve been slackin'......................................do a couple laps for me, OK? ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks. So you mean the bumper cover had to be cut? I think I understand.

Would that bumper cover cut be visible if you replaced the rear valance with a new one?

Appreciate the advice

·
Registered
2018 Focus RS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. So you mean the bumper cover had to be cut? I think I understand.

Would that bumper cover cut be visible if you replaced the rear valance with a new one?

Appreciate the advice
Correct, the bumper cover. It wouldn't be visible replacing the rear valance which is why I wasn't overly upset about it. If I ever take off the hitch, my plan is to get another rear valance. (y)

·
Registered
16 Posts
After reading all the threads I decided to finally pull the trigger on a hitch. I went with the curt option with the smaller receiver so it was “less” noticeable under the rear valence.

I wanted to post some pictures during the process because when going through other threads I wanted to see more pics of the cutting before jumping in. Hopefully this will show anyone thinking about doing it a little more.

View attachment 359592
Before:
View attachment 359591
After:
View attachment 359588

A note about one thing that I didn’t find on other posts is that you actually have to cut part of the actual bumper which I wasn’t too excited about. It’s the part sandwiched between the heat shield and the rear valence.

Also, a lot of people have complain about the valence flexing. Cutting it more into the strake relieves this and I think made it look a lot cleaner. I didn’t get the angle right so could’ve taken off less material. (I’ll need to take a better picture showing this)

View attachment 359587
View attachment 359589

View attachment 359586
View attachment 359594
View attachment 359595

So far I’ve been happy with the bike rack on it. Two bikes looks pretty damn bouncy so I might try and make a brace to the rear diff housing like the Torklift. My rack keeps my bike far enough away from the exhaust too so I’m not overly worried about melting my tires. The touch test after 30min drives seems plenty good. I’m going to get some stick on temp gauges for mid-summer longer drivers to monitor how hot it gets back there.
That setup is exactly what I want to do but I plan to run a 2-bike rack setup. I have to think that wont ben an issue on the 1 1/4" trailer hitch?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts