Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thread Update
Having now owned both the Curt and Torklift hitches I can make a pretty accurate comparison of the two. Leaving most of this thread intact so people can have the full context when making a decision on which to buy. While the Curt hitch did an acceptable job of hauling my bikes around on my bike rack, I was not satisfied with the wobble and movement I experienced with 2 bikes loaded. I have since replaced it with the Torklift hitch and now I do not experience the same wobble, instead the rack vibrates and rattles because the hitch no longer dampens those vibrations. I guess you can't have it all. ��

Skip to post #2 for the Comparison

Curt has begun making a hitch for the RS that is a bit cheaper than the Torklift offering and slightly less invasive looking. Starting this thread as a resource for people looking to order and install it.

If you have already ordered this hitch for your ride please check the endplates and ensure that the lower gusset is welded to the BOTTOM and not inside the bend right below the bolt hole. This defect will prevent the crash bar from sliding back on over the hitch and being bolted up.

INCORRECT:
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

CORRECT:
11489_1024x768_a.jpg

A few of us that ordered the hitch early received these. If you did too, just call Curt and they will ship you out the correct hitch with a return label for the old one.

Install pics are coming soon, but rest assured that the instructions Curt included are thorough and do not really require supplementation.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Curt vs. Torklift

Here is a nice side by side shot to give you an idea of the differences in how these two are constructed. The only thing missing from the photo is the 3rd mounting point that goes from the receiver to the rear diff cradle. You can see this on Torklift's site or in the Torklift thread.

Curt:
Pros:
Lighter 27 lbs (Curt) vs 54 lbs (Torklift)
Less expensive
Less conspicuous

Cons:
Slightly bows the diffuser
Slight wobble when loaded up with a heavy tongue weight.

Torklift:
Pros:
Much more stable. (3 Chassis Mounting Points instead of 2)
Does not bow the diffuser

Cons:
Huge Honkin 2" receiver.
Heavier 54 lbs (Torklift) vs. 27 lbs (Curt)
More Expensive

Draw:
Both require approximately the same amount of bumper and heatshield trimming.
Both companies have great customer service.
Buy the one that fits your needs best. They both work for their intended purpose.
* If you think you need something heavier duty, or you need a 2" hitch get the Torklift, hands down.
* If you're just going to tow a small race trailer, or use a bike rack occasionally the Curt should work fine for you.

Installed Photos:
SG with Tray Rack | SG Receiver Only
FW with 1Up Rack | FW with Bike Rack | FW Receiver Only
NB Hitch Only
SB with 1Up Rack

·
Registered
13 Posts
I sent pics and measurements this morning but I think it's going to take a week minimum. It didn't sound like they had any that were correctly assembled, so I'm assuming anyone with one has a bad one.

Now I get to go put my car back together, until I get the replacement.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks @MstngLX50 for reporting the issue! When I called you were the only other one in their system. The guy I spoke with said he was going to hand verify what they had on hand to send me out a proper replacement.

I'll continue to update this thread with any progress.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Wow. Two simple cuts, weld on 4 plates and add 6 - 8 grade 8 fasteners in double shear and that could be an easily removable hitch.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. Two simple cuts, weld on 4 plates and add 6 - 8 grade 8 fasteners in double shear and that could be an easily removable hitch.
Yep. I noticed that too. I'm waiting for a friend to come back from holiday so I can use his welder. Hoping to do exactly that. Need to get it mounted and do some measurements first.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was all excited because mine is in the mail from etrailer but now I think I'll be getting one thats assembled incorrectly

·
Registered
69 Posts
Glad I saw this yesterday as I was going to install it last night. Sure enough, I need the new one. Will call Curt today.

Big thanks swagopopotamus for the heads up. Thanks man!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Keep us all up to date with when you get your replacements, or if your later manufactured hitches are correct.

Once I get the new one in and can take some measurements on the car I hope to start working with a friend on a hidden hitch mod.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got the wrong one!!

Took a look this morning and it's a nice match for the incorrect picture. After a couple of calls, Curt making a fresh batch and should be coming next week with UPS label to return my wrong gusseted. Big thanks to swagopopamus!!!I would not be as cheerful if I was mid project and figured this out the hard way:concern:

·
Registered
15 Posts
One quick question: what's a better hitch, Curt or Torklift? It looks like the Torklift comes only in a 2" and the Curt 1.25". No cutting diffuser panel on the Torklift, but sits lower and more likely to affect clearance, and is heavier and more expensive. Am I getting this right? Thanks!

·
Registered
409 Posts
One quick question: what's a better hitch, Curt or Torklift? It looks like the Torklift comes only in a 2" and the Curt 1.25". No cutting diffuser panel on the Torklift, but sits lower and more likely to affect clearance, and is heavier and more expensive. Am I getting this right? Thanks!
2" only to date from Torklift, and the diffuser does indeed need to be cut. Literally a 2"X1 1/2" cut out needs to be made in the center, at the lowest point. Nothing to be concerned about, and probably still not noticeable after the hitch is removed. Regarding ground clearance...the front spoiler is the lowest spot on the car. Not like your gonna tow anything on rough terrain with this car anyway, a non issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
FedEx dropped off my replacement this morning. Gussets are now on the bottom and it looks like there will be plenty of clearance.

I may have a chance to try this again tonight. I'll update if I do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got my Curt today as well. Probably will not be able to install it until next weekend. Then I will get another 1up bike rack as I really like them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My replacement Curt hitch came in on Sat. Installed that evening. Thought I would post a couple pictures I took.
Could you post a side view and maybe an angular shot so that we can better see the profile of the receiver with respect to the car?

·
Registered
69 Posts
No, it def. is. The hitch could of been made to sit a little lower. Guessing about .5" so the diffuser could be relaxed. But it does slightly push the diffuser up..... I will live with it.

Took 2 more pictures @ lunch today and hopefully that helps. Lighting is not the best...

hitch 4.JPG hitch 5.JPG

1 - 20 of 173 Posts