Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am currently using Tune+ and have been very happy with the service and performance. With that being said I wanted to see what other options are out there. I like to switch things up from time to time. I am hoping to get out to CP-e for a dyno tune once they are ready. In the meantime I was hoping to get a list of tuners, tuning for the RS.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Stratified, Dead Hook, and Mountune off the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Purple Drank

·
Super Moderator
15,829 Posts
I hear there's also a tuner named Panda Motorworks.

Some day Ford Racing will bring out a Pro-Cal tune.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm trying to decide between Mountune and Tune+. I looked at dyno graphs yesterday and it looks like mountune tunes for more torque at the expense of peak HP and Tune+ is tuned with both in mind.

I did read on mountunes website that you can only get custom tunes from them if you buy your accessport from them, which I don't like. So I will either go full out Tune+ or I'll purchase the AP from mountune (so I can get tunes from them in the future) and purchase a tune+ lifetime tune as well.

I would throw full blown into the mix but they want $700 for a one time tune unless I misread something and that includes the Cobb AP as well.

Also, doesn't Cobb only offer OTS tunes?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm trying to decide between Mountune and Tune+. I looked at dyno graphs yesterday and it looks like mountune tunes for more torque at the expense of peak HP and Tune+ is tuned with both in mind.

I did read on mountunes website that you can only get custom tunes from them if you buy your accessport from them, which I don't like. So I will either go full out Tune+ or I'll purchase the AP from mountune (so I can get tunes from them in the future) and purchase a tune+ lifetime tune as well.

I would throw full blown into the mix but they want $700 for a one time tune unless I misread something and that includes the Cobb AP as well.

Also, doesn't Cobb only offer OTS tunes?
That is incorrect. You can get their tuning from them even if you didn't buy your AP from them. I did this previously.

·
Registered
441 Posts
FWIW, I'm also tuned by Mountune, and I think your Tune+ Comparo to Mountune is a little unfair, seeing that with Matt Farah's car they achieved 350/445 with 91 octane California gas, and from what I've seen of the Tune+ they are making slightly more HP but a lot less torque with 93 octane gas. They're also doing more extensive fiddling with the car in replacing and dialing in a wastegate actuator and other parts, whereas Farah's car is just filter, intake inlet, intercooler/charge pipes and catback.

Since the weather here is cold and wintery, I've switched over to a "winter" tune from Mountune with less timing and boost and It still makes 340/414. My mods are a catless downpipe, mountune intake inlet, fs werks cai, and mountune tuning for "power enhancing mods" crap like my RMM, sound suppresor, BOV, and misc. mods don't have any bearing on HP, obviously. stock plugs, stock wastegate actuator, stock intercooler, stock charge pipes.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
+1 to what @TheDivaDanielle said - also steer clear of any AccessPort labeled with 'Mountune' directly on the front of it as it is locked down to only a couple of maps and does not offer the freedom you get with a proper AP

If you order your AP from anywhere Mountune can still tune it if you are so inclined to go through them - but if you buy the 'Mountune' branded AP then ONLY Mountune can tune it and even then they have restrictions on it beyond the point of this thread

Bottom line is just don't waste your money on that Mountune AP...buy a proper Cobb AP from anyone as it's the same thing but not locked down

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Looking at the Mountune website it appears that if you are buying JUST the AccessPort from them it is the proper AP - but if you buy a performance package from them that includes an AP they throw in their junk AP (this kit for example)

Just if you see the AP like shown in the picture from the link I just gave, run away from it - it is not what they would like you to think it is

·
Registered
441 Posts
^^ wrong again.

the ONLY package that Mountune sells that is Mountune AP is the M380. That makes sense since it's the one that keeps warranty in certain markets.

the rest of the packages give you the regular Cobb AP since none of them are trying to play nice with FoMoCo warranty.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
^^ wrong again.

the ONLY package that Mountune sells that is Mountune AP is the M380. That makes sense since it's the one that keeps warranty in certain markets.

the rest of the packages give you the regular Cobb AP since none of them are trying to play nice with FoMoCo warranty.
I stand corrected lol

but my point still stands - if you see this, run away:
mtune.PNG

otherwise you're good to go

·
Registered
255 Posts
FWIW, I'm also tuned by Mountune, and I think your Tune+ Comparo to Mountune is a little unfair, seeing that with Matt Farah's car they achieved 350/445 with 91 octane California gas, and from what I've seen of the Tune+ they are making slightly more HP but a lot less torque with 93 octane gas. They're also doing more extensive fiddling with the car in replacing and dialing in a wastegate actuator and other parts, whereas Farah's car is just filter, intake inlet, intercooler/charge pipes and catback.

Since the weather here is cold and wintery, I've switched over to a "winter" tune from Mountune with less timing and boost and It still makes 340/414. My mods are a catless downpipe, mountune intake inlet, fs werks cai, and mountune tuning for "power enhancing mods" crap like my RMM, sound suppresor, BOV, and misc. mods don't have any bearing on HP, obviously. stock plugs, stock wastegate actuator, stock intercooler, stock charge pipes.
Thanks for the info, however I wasn't trying to bash any company. Just judging from what I saw on both of their websites it looked like one is tuning for more torque and one is trying to push the HP and TQ up. I just made the comment from what I had saw as it may be a deciding factor for someone. I'm sure I would be happy with either companies Tune and it's making it hard to decide which route I want to go because I've heard good things of both.

Edit: also your post pretty much says exactly what I was trying to say myself in my post.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts