Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm curious to compare my experience in my 18 to others in a 16 or 17 in regards to oversteer. I've not read or talked to any other RS owners, so I'm asking here.

I doubt the LSD in mine would make that much of a difference but mine is pretty loose mid-corner out, especially when hard on the throttle. Off throttle, it will understeer pretty badly. I have yet to get an alignment, a bit behind in that area. I figured it is simply the AWD system and nothing that the 16s and 17s wouldn't see.

Have you guys seen similar performance on 16s and 17s? All this has been seen in track mode on the normal shock setting. FWIW, it doesn't bother me at all, more curious than anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
2 things to look at: 1) tire pressures, 2) alignment. It sounds like you maybe running too much tire pressure, I run 42/38 cold on miss tires. My factory alignment as terrible. Went to 0.05 front, 0.03 rear toe and it helped.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking a little toe out up front to increase turn in. Pressures were 45/42, as at 42/38, the car felt VERY sluggish and didn't like to respond well. That said, I do like a bit more of a twitchy or nervous car than most. :)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I was thinking a little toe out up front to increase turn in. Pressures were 45/42, as at 42/38, the car felt VERY sluggish and didn't like to respond well. That said, I do like a bit more of a twitchy or nervous car than most. :)
Any suspension or engine mods? As mentioned, this car is sensitive to being out of alignment so I would start there. Don't go to the dealer, find a good performance alignment shop and expect to spend a few hundred bucks, but it's totally worth it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm used to getting good alignments, as I used to race. Just haven't done it. No engine or suspension mods at all. I was more asking for a direct comparison between the 18s and the others.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm used to getting good alignments, as I used to race. Just haven't done it. No engine or suspension mods at all. I was more asking for a direct comparison between the 18s and the others.
My 17 behaves like you describe when on track. Many reviews talk about how much grip it has and it’s true that the limits are very high for street driving. But on track at the limit it is often a balancing act between understeer off-throttle (trying to turn that heavy nose) and oversteer on throttle. Oversteer is always controllable by countersteering or backing off throttle, but it does have a feeling of a loose car when driven hard.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I liken the feeling to driving a 70s open wheel car, where you steer with the right foot. I generally floor it through most turns and work the car through the turn. This is why I love awd vs rwd, as you can't in an rwd. Putting power down is easy. :)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
The car should turn in very nicely with the alignment I suggested, you shouldn't need toe out....close to zero front toe should work fine If you want to improve turn-in add a Whiteline 22mm rear bar to liven up the car and improve handling. Loose at mid corner is corrected with reduced rear tire pressure, stiffer front sway bar or increased rear camber.

·
5,586 Posts
2016 RS here.
Power oversteer on throttle.
Yes no understeer and best handling awd I have ever driven.

I believe the 2018 LSD at front adds weight and creates too much grip causing the computer or lsd to intervene.

2016 - 2017 had active brake torque vectoring up front. This is a better trade of, than the weight of lsd.

2016 FTW.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
2016 RS here.
Power oversteer on throttle.
Yes no understeer and best handling awd I have ever driven.

I believe the 2018 LSD at front adds weight and creates too much grip causing the computer or lsd to intervene.

2016 - 2017 had active brake torque vectoring up front. This is a better trade of, than the weight of lsd.

2016 FTW.

That is a very logical assessment. Yes more front grip than rear will create this type of oversteer....so either increase rear grip (tire pressure, softer sway bar, or less camber) or decrease front grip (increase tire pressure, increase front sway bar, or reduced camber). Are you on MPSS or Cup2 tires?

·
5,586 Posts
That is a very logical assessment. Yes more front grip than rear will create this type of oversteer....so either increase rear grip (tire pressure, softer sway bar, or less camber) or decrease front grip (increase tire pressure, increase front sway bar, or reduced camber). Are you on MPSS or Cup2 tires?

From factory cup 2's and have a new set of cup 2's which I'll change either late 2020 or early 2021. That means I'll get v about 5 years of use with cup 2's and around 15k km.

I hear the mpss have less grip allowing the computer and rdu to intervene. Some drivers prefer this than the extreme grip levels of cup 2's.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Too much weight from an LSD? It's not that much weight...

I'm on Bridgestone RE980s (all season, really good tires, fwiw). It rarely happens on the Cup2s. (I was running 45/42 on Cup2s. Really disliked the feeling at 42/38.)

I really don't want to start messing around with sway bars. I don't want to make the car stiffer, if possible. As for your alignment, I will look at it. It does need an alignment, as I stated above. I used to run roughly 1/16" out, front and rear to make the car easier to turn in and give it a bit of looseness. The RS doesn't need the rear, obviously. I think the car will like the increased (- )camber, too

The thought about the LSD giving "too much grip" and "causing" the OS seen is what I was looking for from the 16 and 17 owners. That's what I thought it might be but didn't want to assume that's what it was. I can definitely feel the LSD when pulling hard off of a turn but I've never had an AWD car with it in the front.

Thanks for the input, guys. One alignment, coming up! :)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
From factory cup 2's and have a new set of cup 2's which I'll change either late 2020 or early 2021. That means I'll get about 5 years of use with cup 2's and around 15k km.

I hear the mpss have less grip allowing the computer and rdu to intervene. Some drivers prefer this than the extreme grip levels of cup 2's.
So you get roughly 9k mi from the Cup2s. I drive my car roughly 5k mi per year, weekend mountain and backroad carving, with MPSS, and I get the same 9k mileage as you do on the Cup2s.

In Track mode, I rarely get intervention (street only driving). When I drive in Sport mode I always manually set to the Sport traction control setting (same setting that is used in Track mode) and once again it rarely has intervention. If I drive in Normal, mode even with Sport traction control setting, I will get intervention....I believe that these variations are due to the different ECU programming for each mode in combination with the Traction control programming. I believe the Sport traction control setting allows for more power (less torque reduction) than the Normal traction control setting, thus when the higher power levels are delivered it more aggressively activates the rear diff while diminishing the electronic braking.

When it all does all its magic this car exceeds my expectations for cornering, grip, and pure adrenaline. Owned a number of modded STI, even with coil overs, and the RS is an overall better handling car for my driving situations.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FWIW, I ALWAYS turn traction control off (hold button for six seconds or so). I really despise nanny tech.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally got an alignment today. Oversteer is GONE! This was bcs the rear had a pretty decent amount of toe out at the rear. I put it to 0 and put the front to 1/16 out at the front to aid turn in. Now, it iz neutral to slight understeer. Will play with tire pressure next. Probably raise it in the rear by 2 psi and see what happens. Thanks for the input!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts