Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wasn't that crazy about the cupholders, the Mrs even proclaimed upon delivery "that's going to get dusty/dirty without a lid." I noticed that the same thing happened with the Focus ST and people were swapping out the stock North American ones for the euro/world market ones. So much for a world car...so many little things are different.

Anyhow, I bought the part from Ford UK and it showed up about a week later. If you haven't seen them, then it is very different in that they feature adjustable holders (push down, then they slide fore/aft) AND you can slide a front compartment open to put really tall bottles and not impede on the shifter. The disadvantage is that you lose your cup holder illumination. I toyed with adding an LED to the side, but decided I wasn't going to drill into the console to add it. I may change my mind.

Install is not too bad. Removing the airbag warning light and the piece it snaps into is the only hard part. I broke my airbag light "jewel", but it was only $13 at Ford to get a new one. Once you have a new part in your hand, you can more readily see where to push to release it. An old bike spoke allowed me to get to the tabs and release the rest of the part after snapping off the front of the airbag bezel. In reality, you don't need to remove it, just leave it in situ and remove the next-hardest bugger: the part that hides two torx bolts required to get the HVAC panel off. Once you get the upper part of it loose, you can see the tabs which are holding it to the dash (from the top) and a plastic pry tool on the nubs that are holding it will allow you to remove it.

I much prefer this look over the "open" holder design.

Installed shots:

Closed:

Open:

Open and front compartment slid back to allow for taller objects.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Fantastic. Can you post purchasing details? URL if purchased online, part number, cost, etc. Thanks for giving me a nudge to do this. I've been lusting after this ever since I saw one of our euro brothers post a youtube video showing how large bottles can be sunk into the cup holder to avoid interference with the shifter. I regularly roll with a rather tall 22 ounce water bottle so this would be a killer mod for me. :)

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Good info!

I would like to do this as well. I would even be willing to purchase the parts through you, since you've done all the leg work.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More deets, for those that are interested in doing this. I dunno about "cheap", the shipping-across-the-pond is a little pricey, but that's fine, I guess.

This is where to get the part:

Ford Focus Centre Console Cupholder 2014> - Parts Shop - FordPartsUK

The problem is that they have no US destination for shipping. So, you then go to:

https://www.fordpartsuk.com/partsrequest.htm

In order to request the part. You get email and options in about a day, I did paypal. I worked with Michelle and was very fast. So, the part is 66 pounds, but shipping was 35 pounds, or 101.14 pounds, which is about $125.

You remove the console and there are 4 screws that hold the US cupholder in place, then you just put this one there. Looks MUCH better. I'm unclear why the US doesn't get this one. The Golf R in the US has the armrest bolted shut, I wonder if there is any correlation? Maybe that "hidden" compartment for tall cups had something to do with it? It took me about 2 hours total due to that FREAKIN' trim piece above the HVAC controls. I took many breaks, consumed a drink or two, then slept on it to do the next day. It goes back together in about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Can you maybe do a small write up on what center console panels need to be removed, and where the tabs are located on the piece you broke? I just sent an inquiry in as well for this piece.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
That looks amazing.

I was so disappointed when I saw the cheesy open style cup holder we got here in the US.

I would do this in a heartbeat..... but, I'm scared that if I do my console will buzz and rattle after this operation.

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
Inquiry sent.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just sent out for this as well

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The hardest part to remove is the piece above the HVAC panel. The ST forums had some write-ups for removing it, but I was still struggling. You do not need to remove the airbag light "jewel" (ford calls this part a jewel), just remove the entire trim piece above the HVAC controls. I would recommend using painters tape to ensure you don't scratch anything, but if you have good plastic pry tools, you'll be fine. There are 4 main clips that hold it to the dash: two on the ends and two in the middle. For me, the right side and the two middle clips released pretty easily, but the leftmost clip would NOT let go. Using a pry tool, I could see the clip and then leverage the clip itself. No amount of pulling was going to make it let go. You can't really break this piece, it's pretty sturdy. The piece I broke is the far more delicate airbag jewel, which CAN be removed after first pulling the whole trim panel piece down.

The rest is VERY easy. I didn't even remove the gear knob, just unclipped the shift boot.

When you install the new console, it is much deeper and the tie-wraps with built-in clips won't be in the right place. Here's what I used for tools/accessories:

Pry Tools:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U2HWMFW

Zip-tie with snap-in holder (these are the right size to fit the holes in the console to hold the power/usb cables)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040CVTOU

I have TONS of zip-ties left over, you only need 2 to do it right.

Basic guide I used (the video is worthless as our consoles are different) Post #64:

(2015+) Euro-spec center console in North American ST? - Page 7

A few notes:

a) no need to remove the airbag jewel
b) no need to remove the shift knob
c) IGNORE THE VIDEO linked
d) the handbrake handle pulls off after you release a clip (pull hard)
e) the handbrake release "rod" is a cheap-ass piece of plastic

I could probably do the whole thing in under an hour now, it's pretty basic except for ONE piece. I don't think there will be any extra rattles, it snaps together pretty well. If you're concerned, buy some foam tape and add a bit of it here and there. I can answer any other questions people may have. It is worth it, in my opinion. I actually was thinking of NOT telling people here so I'd be the only US RS with a euro cup holder. Now...I've apparently released the hounds.

If you want to see if you can do this yourself, try to remove the entire airbag panel at the top above the HVAC controls. If you can get this piece off (and it can be done FIRST), then you can do the rest. If you can't or it makes you too nervous, then don't order the console and live with your crappy US-spec cupholders.

Here's what that stupid trim looks like:

You'll see some scratches on the left where I had to push that clip DOWN (towards the floor of the car) to get it to release. For the middle clips, insert a thin pry tool (I used a screwdriver, actually) and get it between the back edge of the trim piece and the little tab and pry the tab upwards towards the windshield. So, you have the end clips needing to be pushed down and the middle clips needing to be wedged up. This is why that part is so hard to remove. Putting it back is almost a joke...it literally falls into position.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you check out cj pony part video on the FRPp short throw shifter install for the FoST it describes exactly how to take out the entire center consel. I did it in about 45 min with no major issues and now that i have seen this l, i will be doing the cup holder mod for sure...

Would there he any interest in a group buy for the US to help out with shipping by buying in bulk across the pond then repacking once they are in the states?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Depending on price I would definitely be interested in this.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you check out cj pony part video on the FRPp short throw shifter install for the FoST it describes exactly how to take out the entire center consel. I did it in about 45 min with no major issues and now that i have seen this l, i will be doing the cup holder mod for sure...

Would there he any interest in a group buy for the US to help out with shipping by buying in bulk across the pond then repacking once they are in the states?
That would be great. I defintelty want to get this mod done

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I can get them for $95/ea + shipping in the US, prob $10-15

I would need to be paid up front, and prob like 5 min order

I have 1 coming in, prob next week

1 - 20 of 181 Posts