Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and couldn't find much. Are crush washers needed for the drain or fill plugs on either the transmission, PTU or RDU?

I'm going to order:
MOTUL DCTF (transmission)
XY-75W140-QL (PTU)
XY-80W90-QL (RDU)

Thanks.

·
Registered
570 Posts
No crush washers. Also you need friction modifier for the RDU fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
Supposedly in the service manual is says something along the lines of

"For a complete drain and refill, Torque Vectoring RDU requires addition of Torque Vectoring RDU Gear Oil Additive, Number XL-19"

Damned if I can find that "XL-19" anywhere though, I just spend 5 minutes searching for it online and it keeps pointing me to forum posts (like this one)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From searching, looks like the XL-19 is a special order fluid. Summit Racing claims to carry it as well:

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Also, if you wanted you can just buy the Redline 75W-85 and there’s no need to add additional friction modifier. The Redline fluid meets all standards and already has an friction modifier additive. I replaced tranz,PTU,RDU, and brake fluid with better quality so o didn’t have any issues on track days.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for replying misterchonger. Does anyone know how the PTU/RDU fill & drain plugs seal against leakage? The PTU/RDU fill and drain plugs don't have o-rings on them. Crush washer's aren't used and thread sealant isn't needed.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Thanks for replying misterchonger. Does anyone know how the PTU/RDU fill & drain plugs seal against leakage? The PTU/RDU fill and drain plugs don't have o-rings on them. Crush washer's aren't used and thread sealant isn't needed.
The drain plugs will seal without issue unless the threads are damaged. The workshop does not specify using any sealant before reinstalling. You can reuse the same drain plugs also.

I've not changed the fluid on the RDU but the Trans and PTU are straight forward if you've ever changed fluids before.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The drain plugs will seal without issue unless the threads are damaged. The workshop does not specify using any sealant before reinstalling. You can reuse the same drain plugs also.

I've not changed the fluid on the RDU but the Trans and PTU are straight forward if you've ever changed fluids before.
Thanks misterchonger - this helps a lot. I thought the oil might leak through the threads. Maybe the metal drain plugs press up against something plastic/rubber/PTFE inside the sump ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm still waiting for the XL-19 to arrive from my local dealer (they said it would take a week). But the bottle from Summit Racing is here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, I got a bottle of 75W-85 Hypoid Gear Lubricant for the RDU (instead of the XY-80W90-QL as I mentioned in the original post). This is what the service manual calls for I believe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts