Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

I'm looking to make a handout for the Tail of the Dragon takeover this year but I don't have the right high dollar CAD software to make what I want. I'm guessing CAE with a sheet metal function is all that is necessary.

Down to the request:
Can one of the many CAD-savvy people on this forum combine the Tail of the Dragon road map with an elevation map to create a 3D file for the road? I'm thinking about 3D printing or milling some trinkets for the people that make the drive.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You want like a trophy kinda thing? If so I can make one tomorrow at work.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You want like a trophy kinda thing? If so I can make one tomorrow at work.
I was going to 3D print the full Tail, including the elevation changes, to give out at our gathering last weekend. I just don't have the programs to combine the elevation and the road profile into a 3D file. If you can provide the 3D, I'll print some trinkets for the event next year.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have the time and willing to learn: https://www.sketchup.com/
I had tried sketchup a year or two ago. At the time, either the sheet metal functionality or my patience for their interface was insufficient. I am partial to the SolidWorks sheet metal tools but no longer have access to a license. I have Autodesk now but it does not include tools that can merge the Tail elevation map with the road profile.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I had tried sketchup a year or two ago. At the time, either the sheet metal functionality or my patience for their interface was insufficient. I am partial to the SolidWorks sheet metal tools but no longer have access to a license. I have Autodesk now but it does not include tools that can merge the Tail elevation map with the road profile.
Agreed, Solidworks user here myself and its hard using anything else really (Inventor maybe, definitely not ProE), but as a free option, its pretty feature rich.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts