Ford Focus RS Forum banner

841 - 860 of 888 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Noob question here. Car loop basic sold out everywhere so I impulse bought Carloop Pro. Does this alter any instructions provided by Hank ect. for carloop basic?

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Noob question here. Car loop basic sold out everywhere so I impulse bought Carloop Pro. Does this alter any instructions provided by Hank ect. for carloop basic?
should be the same process.
the pro version just has GPS / bluetooth features...which doesn't affect uploading / ECU writing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am going to purchase...

1. Carloop ($40, bare unit) Carloop
2. Particle Photon ($20) Photon WiFi Development Board

And make my own Carloop Basic. Seems like a no brainer, considering Carloop Basic is 'out of stock'. Has anyone had any trouble going this route. I don't see why there would be any issues, in fact I am almost certain there won't be. Also, figured I'd throw this out there as an option for others, instead of buying a $150+ unit with GPS/Cellular, unnecessarily.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am going to purchase...

1. Carloop ($40, bare unit) Carloop
2. Particle Photon ($20) Photon WiFi Development Board

And make my own Carloop Basic. Seems like a no brainer, considering Carloop Basic is 'out of stock'. Has anyone had any trouble going this route. I don't see why there would be any issues, in fact I am almost certain there won't be. Also, figured I'd throw this out there as an option for others, instead of buying a $150+ unit with GPS/Cellular, unnecessarily.

That is exactly what I did. It worked out perfectly.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Hmm, might have to do that myself!

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
That is what I posted earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok so My Carloop Pro Arrived. I'm following Hanks video and the device wont connect. The device is showing as 'electron' not 'photon'. Have I made a big mistake going the Pro rather than basic?

The middle board also looks drastically different to a photon

Attachments

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Ok so My Carloop Pro Arrived. I'm following Hanks video and the device wont connect. The device is showing as 'electron' not 'photon'. Have I made a big mistake going the Pro rather than basic?

I read somewhere that they only like a particular cable and won't connect with just any cable, do you have any other cables you can try?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I read somewhere that they only like a particular cable and won't connect with just any cable, do you have any other cables you can try?
Sorry I should clarify. The device is showing as connected in the virtual machine. Light turns green and menu shows connected. Is reading as electron though. I've tried 3x cables I have

·
Premium Member
423 Posts

I'm not an expert, I just screw with this stuff as a hobby so take this with a pinch of salt.

They use the same microcontroller just with a different package(WLCSP vs LQFP), and the pinouts are largely the same. The Electron has two pads "up top" that the Photon doesn't(Li+ and VUSB), but all the pins down to the A0/D0 level of the boards are the same:

I don't have one to try, but can't see why it wouldn't work.

EDIT I just double checked the pinout diagrams of both and the pads of the microcontroller((STM32F205RG) are wired identically for common pins.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
if you can't get it to work, you can return the carloop pro for a refund. meanwhile order the basic 2 components.
FYI...the guy that these get returned to, doesn't respond to emails. but he did refund me once received and verified condition.

·
Registered
54 Posts

I didn't have the opportunity to test it on a Pro but it should work. It's a different particle device indeed (electron instead of photon) but should work as we also shipped electron firmware.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For anyone wanting a Carloop basic, I just posted an extra one I have on eBay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How does the drift stick work? Do you have to do the daftABS in order to gain access to it? And do you need to have the Carloop in the OBDII port to use the drift stick feature?

·
Registered
22 Posts
How does the drift stick work? Do you have to do the daftABS in order to gain access to it? And do you need to have the Carloop in the OBDII port to use the drift stick feature?
ABS tune then carloop device to take the ebrake signal and lock the rear abs. You also need traction control off to trigger it but it works in every mode.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Sorry I should clarify. The device is showing as connected in the virtual machine. Light turns green and menu shows connected. Is reading as electron though. I've tried 3x cables I have
Please let us know if you get this working. I ordered a pro as well and it got here on Friday, but i’ll be unable to test it for sometime unfortunately.

841 - 860 of 888 Posts